Water in Gas 2004 2200v

plainsman5

After every hard downpour I seem to be getting water in my gas tank. I don’t mean a few drops.  I’m talking cups!  The console is covered. The rod holders are all connected at the bottom and they drain out the rear of the console. My sending unit is completely sealed with a gasket material. I have no gas leakage in the bilge. Any idea where the  water may be coming from?  The gas cap seems to seal the way it’s supposed to...

any ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Jason 

the fill cap has an o ring that seals it

the threads by themself will leak

easy to take it off and run to local  hardware store and get another. if slightly smaller diameter and a little  thicker it will stlill go on tight and seal

there used to be information on making a fuel cleaner system here but if neede I will explain

If you have access make sure the vent hose goes upward right after the fitting on the boat hull side. This is done to keep water that might find its way into the vent from reaching the tank. Think of it as an upside down sink trap. 

I have seen where this was not the case for whatever reason and water found its way into the fuel system. 

I think Smilemaker is referencing a device to remove water from the fuel (polish the fuel in the diesel world). We have a hand truck with a Racor and two spin on filters and a pump. We connect it to the engine supply from the tank and then back to the tank fill port and run the fuel through the Racor and extra filters. Time consuming but polishes the fuel very well. 

Not sure I would try this with gasoline. Gas is much easier to ignite.

I would recommend a product to help with water in gas.Its called  K100 fuel treatment. I have used it in my pathy since new. The gas version really makes a difference. We also use the diesel version and it has done very well keeping the diesel in good shape during the hot summers.

Had the same problem years ago and found it to be the vent. Take jh141's advise and reconfigure your vent. You can buy a vent that has a 90 degree elbow. Install the vent with the elbow pointing up. Connect the hose and run it up as high as possible, then make the turn down to the tank. And, put a new O-ring on the gas cap.

50 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Had the same problem years ago and found it to be the vent. Take jh141's advise and reconfigure your vent. You can buy a vent that has a 90 degree elbow. Install the vent with the elbow pointing up. Connect the hose and run it up as high as possible, then make the turn down to the tank. And, put a new O-ring on the gas cap.

Oh man. I didnt think about this, is that the way they are supposed to be installed or is it only if you are having an issue? Thought the 90 went down when I did mine But when Im sitting here typing I can see it being beneficial with the tube going up. 

29 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Two Points to ponder...................

1st - You put the vent hose higher than the fill port, rather then spitting out the vent indicating a full condition you can overflow into/onto the boat.

2nd - Whatever happened to the good ol'e days of just putting a loop in the vent hose? 

Just my .02 cents.

For me lack of knowledge. 

to make the fuel polsher/water cleaner you will need following

external fuel pump from local auto  store

racor filter and head with plastic bowl

fuel hose long enough to go from existing filter into fuel fill. it has to be rated for gas but clear plastic from lowes will be rated for gas but there is no pressure involved .

barbed nipples to  fit pump/ filter and hose.

wire and plug for cig socket on dash.

board for mounting frame.

mount filter and pump on frame and connect out flow of pump to filter. run long hose from filter to boat gas fill with enough length to go in 2 -3 feet.

connect wire to plug for accessory on console.

remove the boats fuel hose and connect to external  pump. plug in and let the fuel recirculate as long as you want.

you may find it easier to place a hose on pump intake with a barb nipple to connect to the boats hose at the onboard filter.

i prefer the stand alone system so I  can  use it on other things.

an alternative is to remove hose from filter to engine and connect the pump after the onboard filter and change its filter.

Jh141,

unfortunately I don’t have access to the vent hose. However, I will try swapping out the O-ring on the cap. I started using Sentry for treating any water/condensation that finds it way into my tank and it has worked very well. However, I forgot to add it to my last fill up. 

southernWake,

i’m almost 99% certain it’s rain related

SCFD, i will reconfigure the vent of the gas cap doesn’t solve my problem 

MuddyBottomBluz,

great points...above my pay grade 😉

smileMaker,

thank you for the write-up.  That’s a great idea.  I may go that route if I don’t get this issue squared away ASAP. 

Thank you all for replying to my question. I will give a update as soon as I have one. 

Sincerely,

Jason

I just had a similar situation with mine. First, I got the fuel level  down to 1 bar. I added 10 gallons of premium at a time and ran the fuel level back down to 1 bar. At each 10 gallon filling I added a can of Seafoam and changed the 10 micron separator. I did this 3 or 4 times over 4 weeks and it really helped. I don't think I had an active water leak, just an accumulation of water over time from ethanol. Best of luck.