Rhodan Install

AntonRx

I don't know much about the Rhodan.  How does it compare to the Minn Kota in the similar model?   

Sure wish someone out there had a saltwater version with the internal transducer or had a good way to mount one on the TM.  I'm currently using a Riptide Ulterra and have an aftermarket setup to mount a Humminbird 360.  It's a cluster of a mess of wires and fit but when in a spot where the 360 thrives, it's a fish catching setup.   

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s the finished product. For us 2000v owners, we have an Gas tank access hole in the console. In order for the batteries to sit flat, I decided to removed the domed cover and make a bottom out of 1/2” starboard. Then I secured the battery tray to this and mounted my batteries. 2-group 27 AGMs (92 amp hours). Tested it out today and man, this thing is awesome! PS, how the heck do I make sure my pics aren’t upside down on here!!!???

591A023A-DB11-44B4-9D91-AC3A9A6A4551.jpeg

F6AF781C-7A6B-4980-8FF6-9DF211DF73ED.jpeg

07DA8EB8-CCF5-4586-AD8D-C05B48EBE968.jpeg

5C9378A1-11DE-48E4-9292-577DB78330E2.jpeg

20 minutes ago, jh141 said:

Looks great!!!   keep an eye on your Marinco trolling motor plug, you have the 40 amp and we have seen the current overheat that style and cause problems. Some never have a problem. Marinco makes a 70 amp plug if you do have a problem.

Oh man! Thanks for that. At full power I think the motor pulls like 42 amps but I’ll switch over to the 70amp one. This is the original plug from god knows when anyway, so, need a new one. Thanks again! 

On 8/10/2020 at 8:30 PM, jh141 said:

Looks great!!!   keep an eye on your Marinco trolling motor plug, you have the 40 amp and we have seen the current overheat that style and cause problems. Some never have a problem. Marinco makes a 70 amp plug if you do have a problem.

The Battery Tender plug is the one to get and forget.

On 8/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, rubble said:

I don't know much about the Rhodan.  How does it compare to the Minn Kota in the similar model?   

Sure wish someone out there had a saltwater version with the internal transducer or had a good way to mount one on the TM.  I'm currently using a Riptide Ulterra and have an aftermarket setup to mount a Humminbird 360.  It's a cluster of a mess of wires and fit but when in a spot where the 360 thrives, it's a fish catching setup.   

You should call Rhodan they will tell you all about them. Look at their online videos too. Designed and company owned by an aerospace engineer. I reviewed them side by side at the Miami Boat Show several years ago with MK. Hands down more robust in every way, excellent customer support made in USA and they are a Florida company. I have owned three on three boats (24V on 2012 & 2020 Mav HPX 18’s and a 36V on a Pathfinder 2500 Hybrid)  and IMO there is no equal for saltwater rigors. Full transparency, I have a MK on my bass boat because it has a foot pedal.

Just curious, but don't you guys think securing the head of the trolling motor to the deck will subject the trolling motor head to more stresses than allowing it to flex some when running in rough water?  It would seem to me that it would take more stresses in rough water when secure than it would if allowed to move some.  Kinda like the same issue as the pilot seat in the the movie Contact.  Curious what others think.

I see some guys secure the head,  but most where I am do not. I Have not heard any chatter about damage done by rough water while not securing the head. The real problem I have heard chatter about is if it ever self deploys while under way. I always kept a Velcro strap holding down my tiller steer TM. I as a normal practice always move the depth collar down to help secure my remote trolling motors. 

17 hours ago, finbully said:

You should call Rhodan they will tell you all about them. Look at their online videos too. Designed and company owned by an aerospace engineer. I reviewed them side by side at the Miami Boat Show several years ago with MK. Hands down more robust in every way, excellent customer support made in USA and they are a Florida company. I have owned three on three boats (24V on 2012 & 2020 Mav HPX 18’s and a 36V on a Pathfinder 2500 Hybrid)  and IMO there is no equal for saltwater rigors. Full transparency, I have a MK on my bass boat because it has a foot pedal.

I use the electronic foot pedal for my MK.  Kind of *** dealing with the cord but it’s not like the huge cables on the the typical TMs.  I had thought the MK would be a better fit teamed up with a Hbird where we could run contours on the TN River ledges but I’ve yet to us it for that purpose.  I also really like the foot pedal because it’s easy to hit spot lock when I can’t free up a hand to go thumbing for the remote.  Just look down and tap the button and I’m still fighting the fish.  Would be nice if they came up with a remote spot lock button to put on the gunnel or deck like the Power Pole buttons for your feet.  Really handy when fighting in windy or heavy current conditions.