help with decisiom

OKProfessor

Family from Oklahoma looking to buy property for vacation/rental in Gulfport/Biloxi area. Selling my bassboat to buy a boat that fits better in that area but that I can still use to bass fish here in OK. I don't really want a great big bay boat. Pretty much narrowed down to Maverick MA 21, Hewes Redfisher 21, Hewes LT20, or an older 20-22' bay boat from Ranger, Skeeter, etc. The LT20 seems to sell for much less than the others. I have read that some LT20 hulls have a problem on them that causes them to nose down and run slow. Can anyone on here offer guidance?

If you can find a good MA21, forget about the others and get it. They are excellent in every way. Fast, stable, and very roomy. Also, in the older bay boat category, a Pathfinder 2200V is always a good choice. JMO. I have an LT18 and love it. I have read about the bow-heavy LT20s but have no personal experience, sorry. But I have spent considerable time on my pal's MA21. You'll be impressed. 

Good info above....

The RF 21 is about as fast as any of the bass boats and are sometimes more readily available than the MA21's.  A RF21 with a 250 will run 60+....they were designed for the long runs of the redfishing guys...and they are very stable......nice gunnels to walk.

Get a NEW TRAILER no matter what you buy....a MA21 will provide a superior ride to anything in the 20-21 foot range.

The older bay boats, as mentioned are very stable...and may handle the open water a bit better.  The Pathfinder's will be lighter than the Skeeter's or Rangers....but, the ride will be excellent.

Enjoy the search and wellcome to the forum....lots of good people and info here....read lots of posts.....Drummer can obviously lead you to some ideas as he's from the gulf.

dc

• Like 1

I’ve only owned one boat so I don’t have much of a reference. The Hewes Kevlar LT20 has been great to me and the family. It has been inexpensive by comparison even with the new paint, the new to me engine Ive already done and the DIY rewire I’m about to do now.  It has “old boat” problems that I am working through as I can. Mainly old wiring and bad switches that lead to baitwell, Nav light and bilge pump problems. I’m getting to old to be upside down at the dock With my head in the hull following wires to find shirts and corrosion. But It’s wide, tons of storage, does fine if you have to cross the smaller bays in a little chop. Mine runs 1B6C0517-6E32-4388-BFAE-52C6B2A09419.thumb.jpeg.db036bb270452e8fd39a30ce2ad9a532.jpegB0A55342-637E-405C-BC40-DEF8CC75BC1B.jpeg.e6d70829ca69cfb2f414aeb6fad86de0.jpeg55 w/ two grown men, 50gallons of fuel and fishing gear. I have a stern drive 4 blade prop. I still want: power pole, electronics, seadek, refinish the deck surface which is solid but a bit oxidized and new gauges. But I have hundreds of pics of the kids and I fishing and scalloping and having the best time. Glad I did it and love this boat. My next boat might be a tower bay boat to explore a little further and to carry my wife a little more comfortably. Good luck and don’t put it off. Get a boat! 

4A9D681B-BB93-4660-AE6D-9F6AA1B74735.jpeg