Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PineSound

2300 HPS Stringer Issue

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PineSound said:

$600 - $1,000 to grind down, reglass, re-gel coat, and then do the same on the hull and then blend to match creating a perfect sandwhich fix.

Glad to hear! 

Perhaps you can share photos of the repair before and after and more importantly share your glass guy's contact info.  This is great pricing for a repair like that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Glad to hear! 

Perhaps you can share photos of the repair before and after and more importantly share your glass guy's contact info.  This is great pricing for a repair like that 

X2....

 

dc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its funny, there are occassionl reports of stringer issues on various models, but only one model where I think there was a true manufacturer issue that was later addressed.   My stringer issue turned out to be impact related, but the surveyor missed it, the insurance company missed it, the repair shop missed it.   We only found it because I had them grind down a small spider crack in the gel coat near the striger issue out of an abundance of caution.   Once the gelcoat was ground away, a very significant impact point became evident.    I also think we under estimate the importance of trailer support and configuration.  The more I consider the amount of weight of my boat, the amount of bouncing and typical road hazards, the more priority I have put on making my trailer right.     Somebody mentioned the improtance of rear straps, I always considered them a safety issue, but I can seee them going a long way to minimize impact by keeping the boat and trailer in contact and not getting the "double bounce" effect of the trailer coming up while the boat is coming down (similar to two kids on a trampoline bouncing opposite each other).   

 

Glad to hear you found the cause, nothing worse than losing confidence in your hull due to an unexplicable structural failure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is this stringer failure caused by “impact”? 8 years in the industry and seen several boats sink from an impact, yet stringers perfectly intact?

If your insurance company denies the claim then they feel it’s not an impact. I can assure you that if you hit something hard enough that could potentially cause a stringer to fail you would know about it, and the bottom of the boat would surely show it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

What is this stringer failure caused by “impact”? 8 years in the industry and seen several boats sink from an impact, yet stringers perfectly intact?

If your insurance company denies the claim then they feel it’s not an impact. I can assure you that if you hit something hard enough that could potentially cause a stringer to fail you would know about it, and the bottom of the boat would surely show it.

Not necessarily.  You have to have had the impact.  If you bought it with the impact, you are out of luck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was referring to impacts causing stringer failures. You would be hard pressed to find a boat that struck something that would cause a stringer failure but not completely sink the boat. It just isn’t something that happens and I think it’s a cop out for any manufacturer (not singling out MBG).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE

Glass guy is making full repairs with great progress and is doing is textbook perfect. We solved the mystery of “The Impact”.

prior to me buying it the boat was dry rack stored for years. From the picture I will attach you will see my brass water pickup shell for my leaning post Livewell. The flush mounted grate is on the other side. 
 

Anyway we concluded that the forklift operators were likely dropping the boat onto the dry rack too hard too often and VERY likely resting the entire boats weight on that *** brass shell. Take both of those components over a couple years and there are your major stressors. My glass guy could see minor stress cracks around the shell, so will be cleaning that up as well.

Moral of the story be careful around Dry storage racks and those forklift operators! I ONLY trailer my boat, so hopefully no more issues.

 

ill post pictures once finished up!

98EF1A13-F2E8-4210-B22C-5270540542A3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You had said a small area had localized flexing, what was causing that?

I think the clamshell causing cracking is a stretch but I’ll be interested to see how it pans out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

You had said a small area had localized flexing, what was causing that?

I think the clamshell causing cracking is a stretch but I’ll be interested to see how it pans out. 

Linsider - Flex was caused by a detached stringer. About 8” from the previous pictures I posted on the inside. clamshell wasn’t the culprit. Forklift driver dropping the boat on bunks with ALL the boat’s weight on one specific area of the boat. The detached stringer is VERY close to the clam shell with connecting stress cracks. It’s our beat guess since there had to be a direct impact to cause that stringer to detach. All clues point there, but feel free to speculate otherwise.

It is a logical conclusion supported by evidence to an otherwise unknown cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had various boats in dry stacks over the last 25 years (sometimes more than one at a time). Never had this kind of problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question would be to the  surveyor. 

why was it not seen?

The area is clean and easily visible. 

If all a surveyor has to do is say that it wasn't there then of what use is the surveyor.  When do they take responsibility for missed items?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PineSound said:

Linsider - Flex was caused by a detached stringer. About 8” from the previous pictures I posted on the inside. clamshell wasn’t the culprit. Forklift driver dropping the boat on bunks with ALL the boat’s weight on one specific area of the boat. The detached stringer is VERY close to the clam shell with connecting stress cracks. It’s our beat guess since there had to be a direct impact to cause that stringer to detach. All clues point there, but feel free to speculate otherwise.

It is a logical conclusion supported by evidence to an otherwise unknown cause.

You can hang a boat by its transom and bow eye and they wont crack. The bottom of the boat, specifically under the stringer, is one of the strongest parts of the boat. Setting the boat on a clamshell wont detach a stringer.

I do wish you best of luck though and hope you enjoy the boat 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

You can hang a boat by its transom and bow eye and they wont crack. The bottom of the boat, specifically under the stringer, is one of the strongest parts of the boat. Setting the boat on a clamshell wont detach a stringer.

I do wish you best of luck though and hope you enjoy the boat 👍

Setting down and dropping are two very different ways of describing something. Very much like trailering a lighter boat without straps and it bouncing up and down on a bumpy road can cause damage.

Hanging a boat by its transom or dropping a boat to hang by it’s transom would have two separate outcomes. I have seen the forklift drivers literally drop boats and hit ibeams putting them in the barn.

Again, all speculation and I agree “setting” a  boat on bunks wouldn’t cause that damage. 

It’s a boat so I’ll take all the luck I can get, if its not this it’s 10 other things that keep me off the couch! 🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...