Sign in to follow this  
PineSound

2300 HPS Stringer Issue

I have a 2011 2300 HPS with a 2019 250 SHO.

I brought the boat to my fiberglass guy for some touch up bottom work around my step in the hull and a concerning spot on my port side near the rear of the boat. It looked like someone punched my hull. You can push it in just slightly and it’s only in the one spot, luckily it doesn’t seem to continue up the stringer. (I didn’t take any pictures before dropping off to glass guy)

My fiberglass guy worked at Action Craft for over 20 years, so I couldn’t have a better glass guy. My question is has anyone else had a stringer detach on their 2300HPS??

My glass guy was astonished when I told him Pathfinder only had a 5 year hull warranty, he mentioned highway robbery.

This boat is in pristine condition besides this new found issue, not happy right now... Keys trip was planned for this upcoming week!

There was another thread a few months ago about a guy with a 2300 and the same issue.  He had just purchased the boat used (2014 model if i remember right).  Definitely seems to be an issue.  

The OP removed the thread.  Perhaps the factory actually helped him outside of warranty?  Anyways... I would definitely take detailed pics and contact Skip.  

Hard to say without a video or photo. You can call MBG with your hull info but youre more than likely on your own. Id see what the glass guy says when he investigates and go from there. 

I guess the 5 year warranty was a pretty solid business move after all. I hate it for ya man, hopefully you can get it straightened out without too much out of pocket expense. I’d give the factory a call and see what they say, not sure what happened on the HPS referenced above but the way it vanished from the inter webs maybe the MBG helped them out. To their defense I had a gas tank come loose on my HPX (not covered under warranty) and the MBG offered to fix it, wasn’t worth the drive but it was a nice gesture. 

You catch more bees with daisy flowers than thorny weeds....

You'd be surprised what happens behind the forum internet screen  when you don't throw stones in public.

dc

Sorry about your bad luck! What caused the damage, did you hit something; "it looks like someone punched my hull" could easily have been something that you hit. It is pushing 10 years old and the impact is on the running surface. Not sure why everyone jumps to a manufacturer or process issue, same on the 2014, that someone else referred to. Major structural issues don;t usually wait nearly 10 years to reveal themselves, especially on a 60+ mph boat. Furthermore, these hulls are vacuum bagged during layup, so a "dry" layup is unlikely. Why should the manufacturer be on the hook to repair the boat/hull indefinitely and through multiple owners. I see the boat received new power in 2019. Did you go to the previous outboard manufacturers forum and complain about their 8 year old motor that was more than likely out of warranty, too? It seems that no one complains about the warranty that Yamaha provides, which is also 5 years with the Y.E.S. program, or is that on a different forum with different expectations. 

The same couple folks jump on the saddle to pistol whip MBG, a production made boat, about issues that more than likely are not their fault. I don't get it. If you're so unhappy with their product, buy something else or spec. a new one to your liking with the upgrades that you see fit. 

• Like 1

I strongly suggest you contact MBG,  Norm and the boys can do amazing things in their repair department.  And more importantly they know exactly how the boat was built and have the equipment and expertise to fix it right.

38 minutes ago, BradM said:

Sorry about your bad luck! What caused the damage, did you hit something; "it looks like someone punched my hull" could easily have been something that you hit. It is pushing 10 years old and the impact is on the running surface. Not sure why everyone jumps to a manufacturer or process issue, same on the 2014, that someone else referred to. Major structural issues don;t usually wait nearly 10 years to reveal themselves, especially on a 60+ mph boat. Furthermore, these hulls are vacuum bagged during layup, so a "dry" layup is unlikely. Why should the manufacturer be on the hook to repair the boat/hull indefinitely and through multiple owners. I see the boat received new power in 2019. Did you go to the previous outboard manufacturers forum and complain about their 8 year old motor that was more than likely out of warranty, too? It seems that no one complains about the warranty that Yamaha provides, which is also 5 years with the Y.E.S. program, or is that on a different forum with different expectations. 

The same couple folks jump on the saddle to pistol whip MBG, a production made boat, about issues that more than likely are not their fault. I don't get it. If you're so unhappy with their product, buy something else or spec. a new one to your liking with the upgrades that you see fit. 

Let's keep this in perspective; the OP did not say anything negative about Pathfinder. He is like all of us would be, how, when, where, why? Could be any of numerous things that happened so saying it is a manufacturer defect is WAY to early!

And like all of us the OP was headed for the Key's next week with the boat so we understand his frustration! Best of luck brother and keep us posted.

I think the only thing he, actually his glass guy, was critical of was the 5 year warranty... which is definitely weak and half of the industry standard. Of course it’s up to the buyer to due his due diligence when purchasing, I was on my third MBC product before I realized, was informed, the warranty was 5 vs. 10 years, that’s what I get for assuming, maybe he assumed as well and was caught off guard a little. I get it, he’s p’d off, gonna miss his vacation, spent a bunch of money on a boat that’s marketed as “number one for a reason” and now he’s possibly on his own with a busted boat. 

• Like 1

I’m on my third too Jason, and this one being brand new, I didn’t even know it had a hull warranty. I did all the paper work for the SHO, though! I guess I've been fortunate with all of my boats and other than a bad crash one time, never experienced any hull damage.   

The bright side O.P., I’m selling my 2018 HPS with 110 hours.... I’m sure we can shuffle some paperwork before your vacation! I truly hope the damage is superficial and an easy fix. Best of luck!

3 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Let's keep this in perspective; the OP did not say anything negative about Pathfinder. He is like all of us would be, how, when, where, why? Could be any of numerous things that happened so saying it is a manufacturer defect is WAY to early!

And like all of us the OP was headed for the Key's next week with the boat so we understand his frustration! Best of luck brother and keep us posted.

MuddyBottomBluz - Exactly, simply trying to see if anyone shared similar situation and how they had resolved. Slightly bummed and now want to get it addressed and fixed. More or less venting about my *** luck, haha. Definitely was not placing blame anywhere. Thanks for helping to clarify MuddyBottom!

6 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

You catch more bees with daisy flowers than thorny weeds....

You'd be surprised what happens behind the forum internet screen  when you don't throw stones in public.

dc

Haha, I couldn't agree more. I am not trying to get anyone fired up. I only wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue on their Port Side and how they had it resolved. Once my glass guy gives me the verdict I will likely make my decision if it is even worth reaching out to MBG. Likely not even worth the time, but we shall see.

No stone throwing here, but my fiberglass guy's comment about the 5YR warranty definitely was relevant. As mentioned I knew about the 5YR warranty, but considering all the other brands out their with 10YR warranties and their perceived qualities' is undeniably humorous. At the end of the day it helps to look at those types of things and simply chuckle. I would have bought my boat even if it had a 3YR warranty and since MBG knows they have a loyal consumer base, me included, good for them for exploiting it. As I always say, "It works until it doesn't."

1 hour ago, BradM said:

I’m on my third too Jason, and this one being brand new, I didn’t even know it had a hull warranty. I did all the paper work for the SHO, though! I guess I've been fortunate with all of my boats and other than a bad crash one time, never experienced any hull damage.   

The bright side O.P., I’m selling my 2018 HPS with 110 hours.... I’m sure we can shuffle some paperwork before your vacation! I truly hope the damage is superficial and an easy fix. Best of luck!

BradM - This is my third MBG product. They have all been great boats, never blamed it on the manufacturer. Too early to know just yet but will certainly have more details before week's end. I didn't want to get anyone fired up, just found it funny my glass guy was taken back by the 5YR warranty since he has worked on hulls for 30 years, 20 of them at Action Craft.

I blew up my SHO, but opted for the 6 year warranty on the new one! It didn't like non-ethanol fuel, yamaha ring free, 100hr routine service, 50hr fuel water separator changes, and salt away flushes. I did smack it with a sledge hammer when they took it off the boat though, felt justified.

If I wasn't scheduled to have my new powdercoated tower installed in September and still having 5 years of warranty left on the motor I would likely inquire about your boat. Simply sell this one after the repair... I am fairly committed to this vessel now, but appreciate the offer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PineSound said:

I am fairly committed to this vessel now,

Pine,

Glad to hear....and not to down play any problem with your vessel....but, My family years ago went through some very difficult health issues with my daughter when she had severe Pancreatic issues....our medical bills were over $1.4MM with about $200K out of pocket (my 401K)....114 days at one point in the hospital in Jackson in Miami, multiple trips to the Mayo clinic in Rochester (yes the real one -we lived there for about 6 months (out of pocket BTW - and in the winter (LOL))), 4 surgeries, months of rehab -(BTW - FLATSDOC was a great friend during this time and helped my daughter with her challenges).....

After this.....it changed our life....my perspective has become with boats and trailers and motors - "IT'S ONLY FIBERGLASS - and EVERYTHING is fixable on a boat  with some resin, gelcoat, and labor" - not so much with your health - SOMETIMES ....so we need to keep things in perspective....

Our story ended well.....

My daughter finished her Doctorate at John Hopkins a few years ago.....

213065561_ScreenShot2020-07-15at4_26_02AM.jpg.d20be0895cfec78ddc31bee8a8c005c6.jpgdc

• Like 3

on a more broad aspect . do stepped hulls have more stringger issues.

just their construction  seems more complex and getting  glass where you need it seems difficult. hard angles are not a glass mans friend.

Kinda makes sense if they were hand laying the glass but when the resin is being pushed in under pressure and excess resin removed under vacuum (VARIS is MBC’s acronym) I’d think it would be fairly, actually very, uniform in construction and strength. I’m no glass expert either so take that for what it’s worth. 

That's a good point, Smile.  All stepped hulls need fitted trailers, and don't do well on forklifts. The forward edge of the step gets all the weight on a bunk or a standard trailer. Things inside can break loose.

Mod Marc

@PineSound I didn't mean to imply you were piling on the Mfg. just that others like to pile on when all the facts are not present, that's all. 

As stated, I hope that it is resolved quickly and you're able to continue with a great vacation! 

Drumroll please....

After deep review this was caused by an impact.  My guy didn’t send pictures of the underside, but I may drive up next week. He did however show pictures of the inside where the stringer has detached. See below for photos. This is on the port side near the back of the transom. Luckily all within access of the LARGE rear access hatch... Thanks MBG

$600 - $1,000 to grind down, reglass, re-gel coat, and then do the same on the hull and then blend to match creating a perfect sandwhich fix.

My next question will be where was this on the marine survey... Since ownership I have not smacked anything and use rear straps on the trailer to prevent banging. Maybe it was simply loose when I purchased and just recently started getting worse? World may never know...

like my glass guy said thank goodness we caught this now as opposed to even a month later. Every trip could have caused it to get worse and worse rendering the stringer shot and possible water intrusion. Think I am lucky on this one...

6581C04C-FB22-45B4-A2F1-12236CFE6755.jpeg

59F6E72B-85FD-4F10-88C5-AF921B2C3B23.jpeg

84F4CD84-3AC9-4291-8415-C163DDEECC63.jpeg

• Like 2

A little glass and epoxy and all fixed.....

Sounds like you were lucky....

But, in reality, you had the experience to know.....hmmmmm...something is not right ?

Keep us posted.

dc