The dreaded poll for who makes the best trailer tire

redzone1

I have just recently spruced up a 2005 AmeriTrail trailer with new torsion axle, spindle, vortex hubs, coupler, Fulton winch, and Fulton jack.  I just ordered new 15” 6 lug aluminum rims from AmeriTrail today.  I am leaning towards going with Good Year Endurance E rated tires as according to my research are the only trailer tire available made in the USA.  Anybody have any comments good or bad regarding the Good Year Endurance tire?  I have been researching the 5th wheel camper blogs and everybody seems to like these tires.  What say you?

5 hours ago, redzone1 said:

Anybody have any comments good or bad regarding the Good Year Endurance tire?

Did the same as you on the research....just bought two GY Endurance....pricey !!!!! But, too early to tell.....have them for about 1500 miles...so far no issues.

Everything leads to a good outcome...time will tell....

dc

They’re great, have them on the HPX for three years and on the Pathfinder for a year now, no issues. I ran Maxxis 8008s forever but it seems they’ve closed alot of their warranty dealers, the one time I had an issue it was going to require me to mail the tire up to Central FL for the claim. 

Went by my trailer guy today to get an 80" 3x3 aluminum square tubing for the cross member that broke on my trailer on the trip home from Islamorada yesterday, he had a 205/14 "D" rated GY Endurance which is now his upgrade tire option. Thing was a 10 or 12 ply rating, forget exactly, and it has a recommended tire pressure of 65 pounds. Plus right on the tire it says "Made In America"

• Like 2

There is not a single Good Year Endurance trailer tire in stock at any distribution warehouse in Northeast Fl or Southeast Ga.  All dealers have the Endurance on backorder.....I guess that is a good sign of its quality or at least perceived quality.  I ordered them from etrailer.com in Missouri.  They had them in stock and they are on their way to me now.  Pricey at $158/per tire, but cheaper if they last me longer than a few years vs China made junk.  I have new aluminum rims from AmeriTrail.  I am considering putting a few coats of sharkhide metal protectant all over them before I have tires mounted and balanced.  Any thoughts on doing this??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redzone1 said:

There is not a single Good Year Endurance trailer tire in stock at any distribution warehouse in Northeast Fl or Southeast Ga.  All dealers have the Endurance on backorder.....I guess that is a good sign of its quality or at least perceived quality.  I ordered them from etrailer.com in Missouri.  They had them in stock and they are on their way to me now.  Pricey at $158/per tire, but cheaper if they last me longer than a few years vs China made junk.  I have new aluminum rims from AmeriTrail.  I am considering putting a few coats of sharkhide metal protectant all over them before I have tires mounted and balanced.  Any thoughts on doing this??

Keep us posted... I’ve never personally seen aluminum wheels last on a saltwater boat. They usually start corroding from the lug nut holes outward. Be cool if the Sharkhide protected from this happening.  

Load Stars have treated me right .

Have had four sets of these tire and rim combos .

I replace both , every three years , religiously .

Minimum travel distance is 250 miles and that trip gets dine a minimum of twice a month .

Have never had an issue .

They have a superior price point as well .

IMHO !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

11 hours ago, redzone1 said:

Redzone, I did this when I bought my new rims this year, but it is too early to tell if it has any effect.   No corrosion yet but its only been a few months.   I plam to reapply it every year, especially around the lugs.   I would have to think that there is some sort of heavier duty protectant that could be put around the lugs since that is the primary problem area.   I will say, that if you DO have corrosion on your rims, using Mothers mag and aluminum polish does amazing work at restoring them, you can see what it did with my jackplate on the "what did you do to your boat today" thread.   It was pretty unreal.

13 hours ago, jason p said:

Keep us posted... I’ve never personally seen aluminum wheels last on a saltwater boat. They usually start corroding from the lug nut holes outward. Be cool if the Sharkhide protected from this happening.  

I have aluminum wheels on mine and they have been washed with salt away after every dunk and they look like crap. To me not worth the upgrade.

I put Goodyear Endurance tires on my Ameritrail last year. There are two reasons that I chose that tire. Made in America and the speed rating. Don't get me wrong, I like to go fast, but usually tow my boat at 65 mph. Most trailer tires are speed rated to 65 mph, stamped on the tire. The GY Endurance is speed rated to 90 or 95 mph. Now, we all should know that trailer tires are not made to the same standards as automotive tires because trailers are not designed to carry passengers. But, if their tires are speed rated to 90 or 95 mph, I assume they are built to a higher standard then most trailer tires. Just saying.

• Like 1

Check out the Freestar M-108 radial tires. Ameratrail used them for many years. They’re made in Taiwan instead of China lol I’m now on my 5th set  & use the heavy duty bronze valve stems. Never an issue. I did have a set of Carlisle radial trail tires on my 17MA Ameratrail & those did me right as well. I had Load Star tires on my 17HPXT trailer & they seemed to ride rough but no issues. As a matter of fact my current spare tire is a Load Star. Dang those new GY’s are expensive!