Don't Be Surprised if US 1 is SHUTDOWN Again

MuddyBottomBluz

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:04 AM, geeviam said:

I hear that.  We moved up here for a change of pace and more of a small town atmosphere.  However, the population growth, housing boom, and traffic congestion have changed everything here too.  I have come to the conclusion that I was meant to live in the middle of 100 acres, far from cookie-cutter subdivisions - if that's even possible anymore.  My wife and I got hooked on the TV series "Heartland" recently.  Living on a ranch in Alberta is sounding pretty good these days, lol.

Btw, we are currently living in a cookie-cutter subdivision 😜

I was born and raised in South Miami Heights.  We traveled to the keys a lot, would also sometimes put in at Pirate spa," they were the only ones that had a lift for my dads straight inboard" and would then run down the the bay and take the back waters to the keys also.  Like Geeviam, the only thing I miss is the water and the fishery, everything else ya'll can keep.  My brothers still live down their but they seem ok with it.  One is in Princeton and the other is in Pembroke Pines.  I don't know how they do it...Geeviam and I are within 20 minutes of each other,  hope to meet up with him one day here shortly.

I'm scheduled to go to Islamorada in the middle of their public boat ramp and park closures and was told by the hotel that you are still able to use the ramps if you show residency or a confirmation for a hotel stay. Should keep most of the Miami day trippers out. 

8 hours ago, Zlenart said:

I'm scheduled to go to Islamorada in the middle of their public boat ramp and park closures and was told by the hotel that you are still able to use the ramps if you show residency or a confirmation for a hotel stay. Should keep most of the Miami day trippers out. 

Does the hotel have a private ramp?  It's my understanding that the proof of confirmation was for private ramps at resorts and lodges and the public ramps were closed period.

48 minutes ago, ofdphildo said:

Does the hotel have a private ramp?  It's my understanding that the proof of confirmation was for private ramps at resorts and lodges and the public ramps were closed period.

My understanding is the Monroe County Public Boat Ramps are closed to the general public unless you can show PROOF OF RESIDENCY. It has nothing to do with hotels confirming you have a reservation. 

20 minutes ago, Sunstone said:

Sounds like someone opened a can of worms.

You're right, and lot of people are going to be very upset this mini-season! But it is only the upper cities, Key Largo & Islamorada. The rest are open further down, so far!

53 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

My understanding is the Monroe County Public Boat Ramps are closed to the general public unless you can show PROOF OF RESIDENCY. It has nothing to do with hotels confirming you have a reservation. 

You're right, and lot of people are going to be very upset this mini-season! But it is only the upper cities, Key Largo & Islamorada. The rest are open further down, so far!

Agreed.... In order to use private ramps at places of lodging you need proof on reservation at said resort.

14 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

That's just what I was told by the hotel. She told me that the Monroe county public ramp just up the road from them will allow me to launch if I show hotel confirmation. I have backup options in case that does not work, but I did tell her I read that it was only with proof of residency and she assured me the public ramp would let me launch. 

Again, I'm skeptical but just wanted to pass along what I was told by hotel staff. Staying at La Jolla. 

• 1 month later...

I know I’m getting old lol but I was raised in Key West from 1962-1971 as my Dad was a Navy instructor at the Fleet Sonar school. Back then , we called it Jew Fish basin and the only way to find some fishing spots was to follow all the “prop marks” on the bottom. We lived on base which were duplexes with adjoining carports. I remember finding a dead 5-6 ft shark on the bank and we got the old red wagon and drug it home to do a “ autopsy “ on it. ( Hell I was just a kid lol)  But learned quickly you don’t cut up a dead shark in the summer under a carport! I got my *** beat first from my Dad, then the neighbors Dad and then another one from my Dad. That carport smelled all summer! Great memories!.....David