22 TRS with Yamaha 150

Waterman18

I know this gets asked often but I’m looking for some fresh opinions. I’m ordering my 3rd PF 22. This will be my first new one. My 1st was a 2006 TE with a 150. It had a T Top and while it wasn’t a speed demon it did fine with 3 people rigged for fishing. My 2nd was a 2008 TE with a SHO 250, needles to say it was fast. So I wanted anew boat this time to avoid all the hassles of fixing other people’s stuff. Unfortunately my budget is limited so I’m gonna need to go with the 150. I know I’ll miss the 250 but how do the newer TRS’s with a T Top do with a 150. Mostly fish with 1 or 2 others at most. 

I can offer a guess based on the fact my 2200TRS. Has a 200 sho. And a big T Top. My top is canvas not a hard top. Once I ditched the prop the previous owner had on my boat it ran out nice. With the 200SHO I was running 51 to 52 mph and the 200 was plenty to hold the boat up out of the water at 30mph. I would guess you would land around 45 plus or minus 2 mph. You know it’s not going to be fast being marginally powered but do you realize it will cost you fuel as well? Sure you do you have been around boats. A friend of mine asked me to go look at a boat with him last week.( not a pathfinder) it was underpowered. My opinion is if you can’t run 30 mph between half and three quarter throttle you will be running the motor hard and sucking gas for as long as you own the boat. Really your stepping up to a brand new boat and “ being frugal” on the motor. Saving dimes will cost you dollars in the long run. 
 I like boats with good power so personally I would not get less than the 200. 
Please excuse the long winded post 

My opinion is based on the area you fish.  If you fish a lot of lumpy open water then you can’t uses a 40 mph cruise, so hanging a big engine is a waste of money and fuel.

However, if you run flat water and long distances, more power will be useful.

A 200 hp SHO might be something to look at because you can reflash down the road to 250 hp if necessary.

4 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I can offer a guess based on the fact my 2200TRS. Has a 200 sho. And a big T Top. My top is canvas not a hard top. Once I ditched the prop the previous owner had on my boat it ran out nice. With the 200SHO I was running 51 to 52 mph and the 200 was plenty to hold the boat up out of the water at 30mph. I would guess you would land around 45 plus or minus 2 mph. You know it’s not going to be fast being marginally powered but do you realize it will cost you fuel as well? Sure you do you have been around boats. A friend of mine asked me to go look at a boat with him last week.( not a pathfinder) it was underpowered. My opinion is if you can’t run 30 mph between half and three quarter throttle you will be running the motor hard and sucking gas for as long as you own the boat. Really your stepping up to a brand new boat and “ being frugal” on the motor. Saving dimes will cost you dollars in the long run. 
 I like boats with good power so personally I would not get less than the 200. 
Please excuse the long winded post 

I agree here.  You also want to think about cruising speed VS RPM.  I like to think of it with pros and cons

Pros to a 150: 

- Easier on the wallet or loan

Cons to the 150

- Resale of boat is less

- Your list of potential buyers is much less

- Worse cruising speed and WOT speed using same or more fuel 

- The ability to carry heavy loads, fuel and or people really hurts the 150

My opinion is hang a 4.2L Yamaha on it.  You will be happier in the long run with no chance of thinking "Man i should have gotten more power".  

I had a 24 PF with a F250 on it for 7 years and 1100 hours..... I’ve now had a 22 PF with a F150 for 5 years and I can fish the same spots and run the same beaches for much less fuel than I did with the F250.  Pros: 250 much faster...top end around 62 mph ( depending on prop ). With the F150... top end around 46 mph ...but far far less fuel.  But let’s be honest.....there is not many days where running WOT is an option here in South Georgia. 

I somedays will put 80 miles on the boat running beaches for Tarpon and Tripletail..we may run from Hilton Head Island to St Catherine , just depends on the pogies and the Tarpon. 

I’m close to retiring so I’m happy burning less fuel...and keeping my teeth in place.

Ive owned Maverick and Pathfinders for 20 years, so I’m not concerned with resale because these boats sell like hot cakes with or without a motor.

just my two cents.... I’m going fishing...JJ

I do not think you will ever regret buying horses for your boat. 
 I run a mercury Bravo1FS now but I went through a couple of other props that did well. I own a new yamaha HS4 that runs very nice as well. You have run the same hull so you probably have a good idea what that hull needs to run well. 

9 minutes ago, nhinshoreangler said:

My biggest complaint with a 150 is cruising speed. The hull runs really nice in the mid 40's in calm conditions but the motor has to work hard to keep it there. Congratulations with your decision.

What is your cruising speed. The 150 at cruise should be great in any conditions that seas allow. 

1 hour ago, fishmanjj said:

I had a 24 PF with a F250 on it for 7 years and 1100 hours..... I’ve now had a 22 PF with a F150 for 5 years and I can fish the same spots and run the same beaches for much less fuel than I did with the F250.  Pros: 250 much faster...top end around 62 mph ( depending on prop ). With the F150... top end around 46 mph ...but far far less fuel.  But let’s be honest.....there is not many days where running WOT is an option here in South Georgia. 

I somedays will put 80 miles on the boat running beaches for Tarpon and Tripletail..we may run from Hilton Head Island to St Catherine , just depends on the pogies and the Tarpon. 

I’m close to retiring so I’m happy burning less fuel...and keeping my teeth in place.

Ive owned Maverick and Pathfinders for 20 years, so I’m not concerned with resale because these boats sell like hot cakes with or without a motor.

just my two cents.... I’m going fishing...JJ

24 pathy and 22 pathy are two different worlds.  I fish both a lot (friend has 24 and Bro has 22).  Can't really compare fuel burn between the two (the 24 is a barge!).  

• Like 2

I'd definitely go with a 200-250 vmax...  I have a 150 on my 22trs and pretty much instantly knew I made the wrong decision..  (was actually talked into it by my sales guy).   At that time the 25" 200s weren't available and he said it would be another $10k for a 250..  so I'm here with a 150 that will soon to be traded in and going to take it... hard.  

I'm definitely  a believer in yamaha quality though.... My motor has seen so many 5500-6000rpms trips for a LONG time.  Poor girl has been beat and keeps asking for more.