Ion Batteries

Headhunter

Looking to add them to our maverick but know zero. I did the weight calc and figure if I replace the 2 TM batteries and the starting battery I can save 50# and cut the weight in half  plus get a 5 -11 year warranty. Ugly price though. I would think 50#'s on a s would make a pretty big difference.

Thoughts and comments please

Chuck

• Like 2

I like you have read some great things about Ionic batteries. The weight  savings is really something . I also would be interested to know how they are holding up and how well they perform . All I have read I was a few reviews on Ionics advertisement page . Also have not seen any dealers  or any type of sales .  With there advertised size and weight I am surprised that they nobody has any feedback on them . 

• Like 1

Personally,

I think we are still 5 years away on price / value.

Every few years the topic is brought up, and while it has some good applications for high end electronics, etc. I'm not sure the $ value equation is worthwhile for the "average" skiff owner...the Odyssey batteries seem to be the choice for Hells Bay for TM applications for their entire fleet. If their owners are not buying the ION systems (e.g. those who bay upwards of $75-80K fully loaded skiffs), then I'm not sure the Marine applications are ready.

the only benefit I see is 50 # plus or minus....4-5 years ago, there were discussions on all the boards that there was potential fire issues, etc. when charging; however, I have not see that many posts...again, I'm not well educated on this, just my opinion....given today's chargers, NOCO, Stealth, etc. I'm not sure you can't save the weight somewhere else....and go with Odyssey's if you are looking to save lbs.

dc

Wannaflatsfish . I have been looking at battery’s and the Odyssey performance marine battery 34M-790 was 47.6 lbs . That was heavier than my blue tops . Do you have the part number of a marine odyssey battery in a 24 ,31, or 34 series that is the light weight ?  I’m just looking for replacement battery’s because of the age of my trolling motor battery’s so far no hurry . The Ionic12v30-EP is $269.00 with free ship on amazon says it weights 11 lbs .that almost unbelievable . Thanks for any help finding a lighter odyssey perf marine replacement . 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 1:22 PM, dabear said:

Wannaflatsfish . I have been looking at battery’s and the Odyssey performance marine battery 34M-790 was 47.6 lbs . That was heavier than my blue tops . Do you have the part number of a marine odyssey battery in a 24 ,31, or 34 series that is the light weight ?  I’m just looking for replacement battery’s because of the age of my trolling motor battery’s so far no hurry . The Ionic12v30-EP is $269.00 with free ship on amazon says it weights 11 lbs .that almost unbelievable . Thanks for any help finding a lighter odyssey perf marine replacement . 

JOe,

I can't help you...I 'm a DEKA Series 27 lover....never owned one, I was just commenting that HB uses them, so, I'm assuming they are the best value, weight, power for the $$$

DC

59 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

JOe,

I can't help you...I 'm a DEKA Series 27 lover....never owned one, I was just commenting that HB uses them, so, I'm assuming they are the best value, weight, power for the $$$

DC

Thanks anyway Wannaflatsfish  . I was hoping that knew of a Odyssey battery trolling motor battery that was lighter than a average battery . Take care . Joe R 

I am not trying to get stuck in the past here but the fresh water bass guys have gone ion. Yes to all of the prior issues but they seem to be solved but I am not sure yet.  When you have a 770# boat and motor and add 120# of batteries, it has to effect the performance and draft. Throw in an old fat guy and it could be big. The Optima's in the pathfinder are 6 years old and going strong and weight there is not a big issue.

I am going to dump my TM Batteries in the next couple of days and see how our HPXs performs.