17 hpxv range

chad1616

What kind of nautical mile range are you guys getting with your Mavericks? I have a 2001 HPXv 17 with a 2018 Yamaha SH0115 Best I am seeing is roughly 60 nautical miles from a tank best guess at my tank size is 16 gallons it is stamped 28 gallons but I have checked and rechecked it multiple times pulling the Fuel sending unit for visual , it has never taken more than 14 gallons to fill up. There is a slight V at the bottom of my tank that the fuel sending unit float valve does not register but it cannot be more than two or 3 gallons Max. 

If you have the original tank, I believe that it is an "L" shaped tank which extends beneath the cockpit deck. . If it's actually only holding 16 gallons, perhaps it has been replaced with a smaller tank. But if your tank is stamped 28 (26?) gallons, that is probably a good number. It seems more likely that your fuel sender is inaccurate and showing an empty tank when you still have 10 gallons sitting in the tank. My Yamaha F115  used to get right around 5 MPG so I think somewhere in the 4 to5 MPG range for your SHO sounds reasonable). If you have one of those old 6 gallon portable fuel tanks laying around, you could put some spare fuel in it and take it with you until you run your boat tank out of gas.  Or you might consider running your vehicles until they are near empty and then transferring the fuel from the boat to your vehicles and start from there with an empty tank in your boat. 

I just replaced it with a new one- standard float style. Which if its truly an L shape , my original float bend stopped before with about 2”-3”  below it still for the V . I’ll pull it tonight and double check but i did not see a L portion from inside tank running aft

It occurs to me that with an "L" shaped tank, it will be difficult to accurately calibrate the fuel sender. Once the fuel level drops to the level of the L, the rate which the float drops will decrease due to the increased volume at the bottom of the tank. I've never dealt with this on my boat because I use an NMEA system tied to my GPS which tells me how much fuel I've used on each trip. I've never run the tank to less than half-full.

• 1 year later...

Much easier way to determine your nautical mpg.
1. Fill up your tank

2. Run your boat somewhere that you can measure the number of miles traveled.(doesn’t need to be very far, 10 miles or so)

3. Write down how far you traveled. Let’s say 12 miles.

4. Fill up the tank to determine how many gallons it took to travel 12 miles. 

5. If it took 2.8 gallons to refill your tank and you know you traveled 12 miles, you are getting 4.3mpg. (12 miles / 2.8 gallons = 4.3mpg) 

I believe this is a more effective way to figure it out and you don’t have to run your boat out of fuel.