Flamingo June 19, 2020

I was fortunate enough to fish Flamingo with my longtime buddy (and best man in my wedding) Brad on Friday. We launched on the inside and made the long run up towards the shark river and ponce area. We shut down the motor and almost immediately the tarpon started rolling around us. I set out a live bait behind the boat while Brad was casting a brown feather jig on the front deck. On his second cast, Brad hooks up solid on a nice 40-50 lb fish and it comes flying out of the water trying to shake the hook. After a few strong runs Brad was able to tire the fish out and we were able to leader his first tarpon and bring it boatside. We tried a few more drifts through the are but my live bait kept getting harassed by catfish, then a small blacktip ate one and gave us a fun little fight. At that point, we were tired of getting chewed on by the no-seeums and decided to run offshore. We set up on some structure in about 17ft and started fishing. Again, Brad was casting a jig/gulp and I was free lining a live pilchard. It didn't take long and soon Brad was hooked into a hard fighting Jack. Then my bait gets inhaled and hooked into a decent fish but not sure what it is. Just as I was starting to think it was a shark it comes to the surface and I can see it is a Cobia! It looked like a keeper, but it was going to be close so I told Brad to get the net. We were able to get it aboard and confirmed 34" to the fork, so in the cooler it went.

Once the tide turned, we ran back to the coast and fished a few more spots while dodging rain storms and caught some snook, reds, trout, jacks and ladys.

Overall, it was another outstanding day in ENP!

IMG_3267 cobia 6-19-20.png

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Man you Guys, Nice job.

20 years I've lived/fished in Florida and only caught one Cobia in all this time. I think it was the first week we lived here and I haven't caught one since. My wife on the other hand has caught a coule.

793308039_Picture257.thumb.jpg.8f73ac3a0b5372f2713c332b1b888cc2.jpg

my Rayban sunglasses tell you how old  my picture isDSC05370.thumb.JPG.4e281d2b9efbf5a5b7bcbde0098f6974.JPG

she likes to show me up

• Like 1