Need info ASAP

I copied a post I made months ago regarding my experience with a lappy Redfisher. I hope this helps.

MikeH

• weekend warrior
  •  
  • Members
  •  
  • 35 posts

I owned a 1991 Redfisher 18 with a Yamaha 130 for about 10 years, until I ordered a 2004 Pathinder 2200 Tournament Edition with a 200 Yamaha HPDI. After moving onto a local lake and with small kids, I sold the Pathfinder and bought a ski boat. Fast forward 10 more years, and I sold the ski boat and purchased a very sweet well maintained 2008 Maverick MA with a 250 Yamaha HPDI. 

The last post asks for a quick version of whether the Redfisher Lappy was a "drier ride." Well, although I absolutely loved the Redfisher, I recall that in quartering seas it was a pretty wet ride. You could minimize the spray by working the trim tabs, cranking one side or the other of the boat up high, but I would think twice and choose my days before crossing Tampa Bay or Charlotte Harbor on windy choppy days. Heading straight into a true 2' foot chop, however, was no problem at all. I do look back on those days and those trips with much fondness. The boat ran very shallow. It has a pocket at the back of the hull that forced water up, allowing a higher mounting of the engine. I swear I could run on plane in 8 - 10 inches of water (without kicking up grass or mud!). And the boat was so light that if you did get stuck (yes, that happened at least one time) you could get out of the boat and push it off whatever you were stuck on. 

Finally, I have to say the 21' Maverick MA is the most amazing boat. It will get plenty skinny while allowing me to cross Charlotte Harbor and Tampa Bay even on nasty days. I don't think twice now about launching at Placida, fishing Bull and Turtle Bay, and making my way down to Cabbage Key or North Captiva for lunch with the family. 

If you find a nice Lappy, you will end up having many great experiences that will turn into lifelong cherished memories with family and friends.