Bravo 1 prop

I have not ran a Bravo 1 in a 24 but have in a 22 also have ran a XS in 25 or 26 and a 23 FS.  It has been awhile since I ran the Bravo1 but don't remember anything great about it.  I know at the time I was looking to replace the OFX that came with boat and it did not do to much better.  The FS/XS do run pretty good depending on what you are looking for in a prop.  A little work to the FS/xs helps.

3 hours ago, mulligan said:

I have not ran a Bravo 1 in a 24 but have in a 22 also have ran a XS in 25 or 26 and a 23 FS.  It has been awhile since I ran the Bravo1 but don't remember anything great about it.  I know at the time I was looking to replace the OFX that came with boat and it did not do to much better.  The FS/XS do run pretty good depending on what you are looking for in a prop.  A little work to the FS/xs helps.

Mulligan, if you still have the Bravo 1 and are willing to part with it let me know. I'm looking to pick one up sometime in the next month or two.

So I do not have the same boat but I have ran a couple of four blade props. My boat is a 2200TRS. I previously thought the tempest plus three blade was the best prop you could buy to lift boats and run fast. I then tried the Bravo1FS. This prop makes a myth out of the thought you have to give up top end speed to go four blade. The bravo one was very comparable to the tempest plus in top speed and rpm. Mercury recommends actually moving up one inch of pitch if replacing a good three blade prop such as the tempest plus. Going up in pitch from three blade to four blade goes against everything we have ever heard about three blade vs four blade props. I currently run a 23pitch Bravo1FS . It is a fast prop. 
 I also have a 22 pitch yamaha HS4. This prop is a good performer as well. I do not think it is as fast as the bravo. Both props seem to want to run even in regards to speed vs. RPM so if you can turn them 5900rpm you can expect to run 59 to 60 mph. 
 Understand the Bravo1 fs/xs is a completely different prop than the original Bravo 1 by mercury. And the comment about the Bravo1FS needing to be worked to be a “decent” prop is not consistent with my experience. 

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

So I do not have the same boat but I have ran a couple of four blade props. My boat is a 2200TRS. I previously thought the tempest plus three blade was the best prop you could buy to lift boats and run fast. I then tried the Bravo1FS. This prop makes a myth out of the thought you have to give up top end speed to go four blade. The bravo one was very comparable to the tempest plus in top speed and rpm. Mercury recommends actually moving up one inch of pitch if replacing a good three blade prop such as the tempest plus. Going up in pitch from three blade to four blade goes against everything we have ever heard about three blade vs four blade props. I currently run a 23pitch Bravo1FS . It is a fast prop. 
 I also have a 22 pitch yamaha HS4. This prop is a good performer as well. I do not think it is as fast as the bravo. Both props seem to want to run even in regards to speed vs. RPM so if you can turn them 5900rpm you can expect to run 59 to 60 mph. 
 Understand the Bravo1 fs/xs is a completely different prop than the original Bravo 1 by mercury. And the comment about the Bravo1FS needing to be worked to be a “decent” prop is not consistent with my experience. 

I agree and have the same setup as HoneyB. I have had the same experience. I love my Bravo 1 FS. My best prop prior was a 22 pitch Turbo FXP. It is a three blade. Before that I ran a PowerTech OFX4. I was very disappointed with that prop. It also had a small crack develop in the middle of a blade in less than 50 hours. I took it to a local PowerTech Dealer that is one of the very best prop shops here local. They worked on PowerTech for a couple weeks and PowerTech told them and me to pound rocks. I Would run a wooded prop before ever buying another PowerTech. I still have it if anyone wants to try try it. My rig came new with the Yamaha HS4. I liked that prop.It had great hole shot and never blew out in turns. 

This is My Experience, might help someone........

Flatout, I running a 23 FS at 63/64 at 6,000 rpm.  If i were to get another one i would go up in pitch.  It is not the fastest for me nor has the best holeshot but it is close to the top in both so it works for what i want.  As a plus the cruise is slightly above square and the midrange punch is great.

40 minutes ago, Flatsout1171 said:

Thank you everyone for the advice I’ll be going to my local prop shop and have them get me a bravo fs prop. And mulligan I might go with a 24 pitch if it doesn’t work I’ll have them pitch it back to a 23

They list for $863.00 you can find them on line for $730.00 . It may be worth your while to order it unless your local shop gives a $130 discount from list price . Boatpropellerwarehouse.com ,  Joe R 

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a bravo 1 fs 23 pitch this weekend. And it was a great prop.good hole shot,mid range punch was awesome and my top end was 61 trimmed out was turning 6300 rpms if I backed it down to 5500 rpms I was still getting 59-60 it was jumping back and forth on the gps. I want to thank everyone for the help on this matter and a big thank you to honey b for letting me try out the prop. Thanks again for everyone’s input. The test was done with 2 people both live wells full and a full tank of gas

• Like 1

• 9 months later...