1992 18.5 MA Rebuild

dfmcintosh

Large hatch liner box fillets are done and sanded. My iPhone no longer recognizes my finger prints now. Also laid up the first 2 layers of glass on the new cockpit deck, the core is aircomb- a honeycomb material. Lots more glassing to be done on the deck before it can be installed but I will document it. More stuff ordered. Can’t believe how much “stuff” we need! I can hardly believe it but I think we’ve gone through 10 gallons of epoxy resin at this point.

Anyone with a trolling motor installed on their maverick care to chime in about how it’s wired and charged? my dad ordered a minn Kota 55lb ipilot. Would love to alternator charge the batteries but minn Kota says not to. 

F4C9FC51-3D20-4F1E-B24C-F5DBECC88492.jpeg

99390E38-B177-400B-81E0-D4E7851C19B0.jpeg

1 hour ago, triplec said:

Yup...not enough troller for sure. Will have to work too hard and will exhaust your batts and you will be left disappointed. I run a 24v 80 pound Rhodan and charge with the Stealth 1 Charging setup.

What shaft TM are you running? The Rhodan units seem pretty robust, I’ll take a look at those. 

21 hours ago, dfmcintosh said:

What shaft TM are you running? The Rhodan units seem pretty robust, I’ll take a look at those. 

I am running their 54" model on my MA. I have ran them all and broke them all so I would say run the make you can have serviced locally when it dies. Rhodan is local to me.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Was wondering how things were going!   I never thought a boring old fuel tank could look cool, but you may have accomplished that unique mission!  Maybe a glass portion of the deck over it so you can show it off??  ;)

Hah! I never want to see it again! I got that black epoxy all over me. It’s nasty stuff too. Good piece of mind however!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread is one of the reasons I signed up... My dad bought a 1994 MA from the Maverick/Hewes factory in Ft. Pierce. It had 10 hrs on it when we brought it home to Miami. Dad and I spent many days fishing from that boat. My oldest son caught his first fish from it and my dad caught his last fish from it as well. The boat has sat for 6 years and last week my sons and I started repairs. Parts should start rolling in this week to replace the water pump impeller and seals in the lower unit as well as the steering ram. The hull is still solid although years in the sun has taken its toll. I look forward to following you on your repairs. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jim K said:

This thread is one of the reasons I signed up... My dad bought a 1994 MA from the Maverick/Hewes factory in Ft. Pierce. It had 10 hrs on it when we brought it home to Miami. Dad and I spent many days fishing from that boat. My oldest son caught his first fish from it and my dad caught his last fish from it as well. The boat has sat for 6 years and last week my sons and I started repairs. Parts should start rolling in this week to replace the water pump impeller and seals in the lower unit as well as the steering ram. The hull is still solid although years in the sun has taken its toll. I look forward to following you on your repairs. 

And we look forward to following yours,too Jim!

• 1 month later...

Great Thread, Looking forward to your progress. I have a 92 MA and at the point of removing the cap or from what I see here I would need to remove it in sections with all the foam and glue involved.  I may just have to take it into a local glass shop and have them do the stringer and hull work to get me to a point where I can work save some money and then take it back for final faring and paint. Unfortunately I don't have a place to do major work with no power and water where I store it, but I have gotten pretty far with a generator. Ohh and the crazy ideas of building a gantry along with support framing the hull all outdoors, glad I hit the breaks on that.

32 minutes ago, RokGrdn said:

Great Thread, Looking forward to your progress. I have a 92 MA and at the point of removing the cap or from what I see here I would need to remove it in sections with all the foam and glue involved.  I may just have to take it into a local glass shop and have them do the stringer and hull work to get me to a point where I can work save some money and then take it back for final faring and paint. Unfortunately I don't have a place to do major work with no power and water where I store it, but I have gotten pretty far with a generator. Ohh and the crazy ideas of building a gantry along with support framing the hull all outdoors, glad I hit the breaks on that.

Hey RockGrdn - 

Hindsight is 20/20 and depending on what you are solving for, there may be a much easier/more cost effective way to address than what I did a few years ago.   Shoot me a PM if you want to talk.