1992 18.5 MA Rebuild

dfmcintosh

10 hours ago, ofdphildo said:

How does the tank from 2001 look condition wise?

Oxidized on the top side a little bit. I am going to drain it and pull it to full inspect it, but the plan is to replace with a poly tank as it’s now about 20 years old and we have come this far. I’ll get pics soon when I can get it out. 

• Like 1

First is port crack, second pic is starboard crack. My plan is to grind out cracks, lay several strips of glass and then fill the cavity of the strakes with epoxy putty then glass over the whole thing. Once I fill in the strakes I will pour foam back in the stingers and glass them again. Ordered foam core sheet material which will be ready to pick up tomorrow. 2 part foam will be shipping in not sure when it will arrive but I should be able to move forward with repairs while I wait. 

212D4DBC-EE36-42AA-8A24-F5E7D403A8F7.jpeg

F06DF9E7-A8D8-4FFA-A056-877796E572E6.jpeg

That is looking at the inside of the strakes. The worse crack is the starboard side. The pictures were taken outboard looking inside. Both cracks at the rear portion of the strakes. The strakes are inside of the box stringers also. 

Whichwaysup, did your glass guy use a stiffer foam than 2lb floatation foam to fill the stringers? I’ve ordered some 2lb and 6lb density foam. My plan was to use 6 lb on the stringers. Probably over thinking it but it sure is a lot of work just getting to the point we are at and I want to make a lasting repair.

We didn't remove or cut into my stringers, and we ended up fixing the crack on my chine from the outside (because the only option from the inside was to do what you did, and completely rebuild the stringers).   Interesting to see that your stringer delam led to a crack where I found my crack - right on that chine.   

Curious, is your keel supported on your trailer?   My boat only has the two bunks, and I'm increasingly convinced that, over time, this may be the cause of the issue.  

There was actually no delamination of the stringers from the hull, but The foam was waterlogged And cracked in quite a few places. I think that the damage came from the foam pulling away from the hull and allowing it to flex more than it could take. My belief is that the damage occurred on a trailer, we are on our third. Our current trailer is a 4 bunk design but it was from my old 24 shearwater and needs to be adjusted badly. It used to only go from Vero to Islamorada but at one point my dad had a hub go out and my dad said it was a pretty rough experience for the mav. 

Epoxy is the way to go, hands down. But remember no polyester resin should go on epoxy, this includes gel coats if you plan on coating the area, there are some ways around it. Epoxy on polyester is okay. I am watching this thread because I love this crap, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in, after all I am not footing the bill! Great story and thread, keep it alive alive until you and the family drive off into a sunset, again:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Epoxy is the way to go, hands down. But remember no polyester resin should go on epoxy, this includes gel coats if you plan on coating the area, there are some ways around it. Epoxy on polyester is okay. I am watching this thread because I love this crap, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in, after all I am not footing the bill! Great story and thread, keep it alive alive until you and the family drive off into a sunset, again:D

Thanks for the comments! We are using epoxy for all repairs and the plan is to paint the topsides and hull sides and most likely repair gel on the bottom. I’m aware of the epoxy/poly issues but there are some ways around it. One is using a non-blushing epoxy which we are. Another is scuffing the surface prior with rough grit sand paper. I’m all ears to any other methods, I’ve heard there are primers or bonding agents. 

11 hours ago, dfmcintosh said:

Thanks for the comments! We are using epoxy for all repairs and the plan is to paint the topsides and hull sides and most likely repair gel on the bottom. I’m aware of the epoxy/poly issues but there are some ways around it. One is using a non-blushing epoxy which we are. Another is scuffing the surface prior with rough grit sand paper. I’m all ears to any other methods, I’ve heard there are primers or bonding agents. 

A word of caution.  Painting can hurt your resale down the line (vs. using gelcoat).   Its a small thing, but if you can stick with original material, it may be worth reconsidering.    Just my .02!

5 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Wow, looks great!   Any hidden issues under/around that tank?   Any other signs of cracking/delam?  From what I can see, it looks really good, but curious if you've run across anything.

I’m pretty pleased by what I saw. The stringers seem to be in great shape. There is some poorly laid glass that I will grind and repair just for the next 28 years of service and piece of mind! 

57 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Some say take the pics with the camera button in the orientation you want the pic to display. In other words down or to the side. Like you if the flip on me I crop and spin them on my phone, then they seem to load the way I would like for them to

Hmmm, I will try that as well, thanks!

Ran 2 overlapping pieces of 1708 in the bilge tabbed up the sides of the stringers. Stringers are really solid under the deck but felt a little reinforcement wouldn’t hurt while we are in there. I figure it added 10-12 pounds so why not. 

we need to figure out a tank ASAP. Anyone knows of a poly tank that will fit? Ours is 60” long, 24” wide and 10” tall at the center. Pickup and plumbing is roughly in the center. 

F8DF7720-578E-47C2-A47B-FB246669C82D.jpeg