Hewes Redfisher 16 Debut

Maybe I missed it but did not see or hear about the deadrise.  Is there a pad (ski) on the keel?  Would have liked a camera shot of the hull bottom - running surface.  It's a great looking boat!  I like the new design, sharper forward vee entry with added flair, larger storage areas and bench seat backrest.  👍

On the next one off the line, try a 115 SHO, no jack plate, Powertech PRO3 19 pitch prop, 1/2 tank of gas, one guy driving, and make a running video at WOT.  Let's see what the new kid in town can do!!

Oh, and after that, try a 4-blade Yamaha Talon SS4 18 pitch, part# 6N6-45B74-00-00.  Should be dang-near perfect with that one too!

Bill, you can option this out with a F70. It all depends on what is important to you. The weight savings with the 70 will keep the boat lighter, shallower and easier to pole but you will lose some hole shot and speed. If you operate in an area where you need to power through lots of current (such as in an inlet) the 70 may not be the best choice either. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill K said:

I think there was a glitch in the sound when Charlie mentioned the engine.   Would you recommend a 70, and how would that affect the draft?

Thanks.

Bill, IMO the F70 will push this new Redfisher 16 okay but will be working hard to do it. If draft is important to you, the lightest 90 horsepower outboard available today is the Suzuki. If this boat drafts 11" with a Yamaha F90 as the video claims, it will probably draft 10" with a Suzuki DF90, and 9" with the Yamaha F70.  Personally, I would go all out and hang a Yamaha VF115 SHO on it.  But my second choice, for 2" less draft and plenty of torque with its 2.59:1 gear ratio, would be the Suzuki DF90.  Just my 2 cents.

I like the job Maverick has done with the 16 RF, it's looks like a really good bang for the buck as long as the buck is not insane. I've purchased two brand new boats from Maverick in my time, but I can no longer spend that kind of coin.I have to buy used from now on. Someone who can afford it will definitely get a great little flats boat that will sleep peacefully in the garage.

On 6/22/2020 at 12:09 PM, whichwaysup said:

Wow - Totally missed this thread!   Exciting stuff, and really like this boat!   I missed the LOA - is it right at 16 or is it 16 and change?

Watched the video.  The new Redfisher 16 is one inch wider and one inch longer than the previous model, 16' 6" LOA and 87" beam.  Still no mention or pictures of the keel or transom pocket.  Skip, does this boat have a pad (ski) on the keel, or not?

The Redfisher 16 and 21 now look very similar to Egrets boats. I was looking at building an Egret boat for the Indian River. No real ocean fishing in my future so the Egret looked like the right choice. Anyone got any idea how the hull on these new models will compare with an Egret? They looked to be about similar in price. I like that MBG is local to me but like the idea of a custom one of a kind boat.What are some of the positives going with a Hewes boat verses Egret?

1 hour ago, DaveVero said:

The Redfisher 16 and 21 now look very similar to Egrets boats. I was looking at building an Egret boat for the Indian River. No real ocean fishing in my future so the Egret looked like the right choice. Anyone got any idea how the hull on these new models will compare with an Egret? They looked to be about similar in price. I like that MBG is local to me but like the idea of a custom one of a kind boat.What are some of the positives going with a Hewes boat verses Egret?

The Egret's claim to fame is a smooth ride and Fit & Finish.  The new Redfisher 21 looks like it rides as good or better than the Egret 2011 - in the running videos.  But the Redfisher 21 is wider and heavier, so it's a few mph slower than the Egret on top speed.  If you want to know which boat looks better, just ask your wife.  The Hewes wins on good looks every time.  Don't know enough about the new Redfisher 16 yet to compare.  I will say that the Egret 16 porpoises in the running video on their website.  I would not allow that video to be seen if I was selling them.  Can't wait to see the new Redfisher 18 when it debuts!

Just got two quotes from MBG dealers and the RF16 with Yamaha 90 is running $46K-$48K. Maybe it is just me but that seems high for a 16 ft boat. Also seems like you could get a RF18 with a 115 for a few thousand more.  I would be curious on what price the RF21is coming in at. I would bet that the RF21 is more money than a 2200 TRS.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, DaveVero said:

Just got two quotes from MBG dealers and the RF16 with Yamaha 90 is running $46K-$48K. Maybe it is just me but that seems high for a 16 ft boat. Also seems like you could get a RF18 with a 115 for a few thousand more.  I would be curious on what price the RF21is coming in at. I would bet that the RF21 is more money than a 2200 TRS.

From info posted on here when they debuted the RF21, it's looking like it'll come in very close to the same price as a 2200 TRS (maybe a little less)

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...