Islamorada in October

Davej

What's the fishing like in Islamorada in October?

I have a chance to go down the 16th through the 23rd, but I've never fished any of the Keys in October. 

Weather? Wind? Ocean side? Bay Side? Target species?  (I have a 18' Redfisher, so nothing to far off shore)

Any general info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Historically October is an off month as far as crowds which can be great for fishing.  The weather is the only unknown as we have been there when it was glass calm for the week and blowing 25+ for the week.  The pilchards usually start showing up in October but that can be dependent on temperature. We typically stay in the backcountry or along the ocean side flats looking for bonefish and permit.  You can always find decent mangrove snapper around the islands in Florida Bay.  The nice thing with Islamorada is that even when it is blowing you can usually find an island to tuck behind.  It just may be wet getting there!

True, and a late season Hurricane can screw things up. Remember that it is still very hot in October in the Key's so be prepared for that. Just be ready to mix it up and if you have some old Bass lures bring'em and try them out (back country) you might be surprised. Dolphin start heading back South on the first signs of a cold front in the northern waters so if conditions are right run off shore for a troll. I have taken keeper dolphin in 150-200 water.

Thanks for the info. I'm a Florida Boy, so the hurricane thing is always on my mind. I typically fish the Keys in May and June, so I'm no stranger to the heat either. I still use some of my bass lures up in Tampa Bay, so they are always in the box. I'll keep my ears open in cases anyone else wants to chime in.

PM me if your headed to Tampa, and I'll give you the low down.