Prop Advice for 2014 18' RF w Yamaha F150

Hello,

I recently purchased this boat and am considering a new prop.  It has plenty of top end so hole shot and a little less bow lift would be good and I will consider a 4 blade.

That said, I am thinking of either a 14.5" diameter 21 degree Yamaha Reliance or PowerTech REL.

It has an OFX series Power Tech on it now which I believe is a 15.25" diameter 19 degree performance prop.  I think it is slipping on hard accel and above 4600 RPMs.  Engine will rev beyond 6200 RPM and between 4600-6000+ RPM the speed increase is not commensurate with the engine rev increase.

I usually run 45 min, fish creeks/flats and then run back.

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks in advance.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but something seems off.  If someone ask me how an OFX runs i would tell them they are great out of the hole, grip like crazy, and more stern lift than running with your tabs down.  The thing it lacks is topend and bow lift.  On paper the OFX looks like it would do everything you want but seems to do the opposite for you. 

I will admit I am not a fan of ofx 3 blade. I had one in 19 pitch on my pathfinder 2200trs with 200sho and the boat ran like a pig. 
 Not to say it can’t work on your boat. Is your motor mounted high on the transom? Do you have a jack plate? It honestly sounds like you running so high in the water that the prop is slipping at high rpm. If that is true you can probably find a prop that will get more bite running higher. 

• 4 months later...

Thank you all for the feedback... and I am embarrassed to say that it appears the prop was just really worn out presumably from shallow water, sandy running by the former owner...

Took it to my local dealer who identified the problem and I replaced it with a new OFX, same prop, and it runs really well. 40 mph at 4400-4500 RPM and top end in low 50s, loaded.  Hole shot is much better.

Love the boat.

Thank you all again.

7F714607-1D03-4305-8B78-38060AF1E868.thumb.jpeg.1a6b73d28ce5ef1e709e145413a62ca5.jpegMy 2018 RF only had a 115 SHO but the most knowledgeable folks I spoke to regarding props was Carabee Marine the Maverick/Hewes/Pathfinder dealer in Islamoranda. They asked me what my objective was then gave me the part# and everything even though they weren’t my dealer. They even called my dealer and told them what I needed. In my case I ended up with a four blade that gave me great all around performance and almost 7 mpg. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

awesome project, keep the pics coming!

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Who is doing the work and where ?

dc

I’m doing the all the work here in Jupiter . Worked on boats my whole life and this is by far the simplest project by far . There was nothing wrong with the boat other then minor stuff that happens to these older Hewes . And I got tired of looking at things and having messy wires , stress cracks and old paint . Then my Lowrance took a crap and I updated that to a garmin, got a sweet deal on a jack plate and a killer power pole as a gift . I just got my captains license so I’d like to show up and shine at the docks . Plus who doesn’t love that “new boat smell “ 😂🤣 wait , that’s just fiberglass lol . 

• Like 1