Solved- where to mount Structure scan t/ducer on 2500

FINCHASER

Thought Id post an update to help others as I posted a thread asking a little while back

What I found out was on the 2300 there is a lot ore room in the area where I originally mounted mine and the pod doesnt extend as far down so that location will work on a 2300.  I bit the bullet and moved it to the pod as it was the lesser of 2 evils for me and am happy to report it works great there with no need to trim motor up as it does not block any of the sonar beam at full down.  The transducer is the lowrance Active imaging 3 n 1 and I can attest this new SS transducer is a big upgrade over the LSS2 if any out there are on the fence or wondering about upgrading, 

20200601_194132.jpg

20200601_194124.jpg

Screenshot_2020-06-07_15.12.46.png

Screenshot_2020-06-07_15.14.32.png

• 4 weeks later...

Fin:

Thanks for the follow-on info and I went back and read the previous thread as well.  Does this mounting location on the pod give you depth reading while on plane/at speed?  I have the same xducer with the HDS Live and I don't get depth reading at speed on my 2300 HPS (see location in photos). The original owner had a shoot - through installed by PF during the original build  that is forward of the step  but it was a Humminbird because that is the direction he was originally heading.  He ultimately installed the Lowrance  and my understanding is the Humminbird doesn't talk to the Lowrance so I'm stuck with running on plane with no depth reading. I fish a lot of skinny, winding marsh in eastern NC so would really like the ability to see depth while on plane.

Anyone else have any similar experiences/solutions?

Thanks,

Dave

IMG-3370.jpg

IMG-3371.jpg

Sevvy... no you wont get a read on the bottom where mine is mounted.  On these HPS models the steps induce air under the hull so getting a bottom read wont be possible on any transom mount  you have to go tru hull above forward of the step to get it.  Is the other ducer you refer to a shoot thru or thru hull??  

52 minutes ago, FINCHASER said:

Sevvy... no you wont get a read on the bottom where mine is mounted.  On these HPS models the steps induce air under the hull so getting a bottom read wont be possible on any transom mount  you have to go tru hull above forward of the step to get it.  Is the other ducer you refer to a shoot thru or thru hull??  

It's a shoot through that's epoxied in, but it's a Humminbird so I don't believe it will talk to the Lowrance.  I'm still trying to research if there is a cable (Airmar?) that might let that happen.

Gotcha well if you really want bottom read at speed get an airmar thru hull and have it installed.  With their mix and match cable system now it really doesnt matter what unit you have if you change to a diff make in the future you can keep the same ducer and just get the cable that unit needs

I have a transom mount transducer for my garmin unit that I need to install. May be a stupid question, but for mounting the transducer and the cable ties, are you guys just screwing right into the hull and filling 5200? I don't like the idea of putting screws directly into the hull. 

27 minutes ago, FINCHASER said:

Yep... right into the Ol gel coat and glass and for the love of god dont use 5200 its way overused.  All you need is a good sealant rated for below water line

Fin's right. 5200 is overkill for that application. And make sure not to drill too small a hole.  Stainless steel screws are brittle and if the hole's too small, you can either snap the screw under torque or round out the screw head.  Don't ask me how I know this 😏. 4200 or even RTV silicone is fine.  Put it in the screw holes before mounting the xducer and running the screws in.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 2:14 PM, SevvyD said:

Fin:

Thanks for the follow-on info and I went back and read the previous thread as well.  Does this mounting location on the pod give you depth reading while on plane/at speed?  I have the same xducer with the HDS Live and I don't get depth reading at speed on my 2300 HPS (see location in photos). The original owner had a shoot - through installed by PF during the original build  that is forward of the step  but it was a Humminbird because that is the direction he was originally heading.  He ultimately installed the Lowrance  and my understanding is the Humminbird doesn't talk to the Lowrance so I'm stuck with running on plane with no depth reading. I fish a lot of skinny, winding marsh in eastern NC so would really like the ability to see depth while on plane.

Anyone else have any similar experiences/solutions?

Thanks,

Dave

IMG-3370.jpg

IMG-3371.jpg

That bracket is Bolted together upside down the cable could get pinched or cut if something strikes the transducer and pushes it up 

B561DB09-D30E-48FD-80EC-1FC776EE57BB.jpeg

Thanks guys. I know the transducer is mounted high if it's your only transducer.  Like I mentioned in my original reply, the original owner of the boat had an in-hull, shoot thru transducer (Humminbird) for reading depth while on plane. The transom transducer is tucked up and out of harm's way when running and work flawlessly at low speeds and it would be highly unlikely it would ever contact anything while running. My only problem is that I need to read depth at speed but my Lowrance doesn't communicate with the Humminbird shoot through transducer. I think I'm stuck installing a new thru-hull transducer forward of the step so I can read depth at speed.