Jack Plate: Atlas vs Bob's

Scud

I just picked up a 2004 Hewes 16' Redfisher last weekend, and I'm looking to add a jack plate and a power pole, but I'm getting mixed reviews on which jack plate to go with. I know the Bob's is self-contained, but I'm wondering if one would be better than the other for my boat? I'm going with a 8' power pole blade and would like to mount it to the jack plate instead of the transom. 

Thanks for the help!

Ford/Chevy  Yamaha/Mercury/Evinrude/Suzuki, etc. I have a Bob's with the pump remotely mounted and love it. Atlas I think is standard on MBG products. They are both good products but it comes down to maintenance, switches exposed to elements, etc. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, just choose between electric or hydraulic.

12 hours ago, Scud said:

I just picked up a 2004 Hewes 16' Redfisher last weekend, and I'm looking to add a jack plate and a power pole, but I'm getting mixed reviews on which jack plate to go with. I know the Bob's is self-contained, but I'm wondering if one would be better than the other for my boat? I'm going with a 8' power pole blade and would like to mount it to the jack plate instead of the transom. 

Thanks for the help!

I have an Atlas 4" (actually closer to 5" setback) plus a 2.5" setback spacer on my 2017 Redfisher 16.  Other than a relay gone bad, it has worked very well.  I use it a lot.  I added the setback spacer to be able to drop the motor height for better prop bite, and still have enough clearance to tilt the motor up.  The Redfisher 16 has a high transom - even with the pocket.  It's about 25" from the top of the transom to the keel, yet it's rigged with a 20" shaft motor.  Not trying to scare you away from installing a jack plate.  Just some advice to help you steer clear of potential prop grip problems.  The big Atlas jack plate adds about 2 1/4" of built-in motor height, while the Bob's and the smaller Atlas MicroJacker add about 1 1/2" or less built-in motor height.  So to help make sure your prop stays hooked up in turns and when trimmed up, I recommend going with the Bob's 6" Action Jac or the smaller Atlas MicroJacker.  A good 4-blade prop that maintains grip when running the motor high is also a good idea.  The Merc Spitfire X7 or the Yamaha Talon SS4 work very well.