Baystar Hydraulic Steering

Grassbottom

I just bought a 2008 Redfisher 16 and I have noticed the steering is rather stiff and I have some shoulder issues and this has been an issue . This is my  5th MBG product ( 20, 24 Pathfinders; 15 HPX, 17HPX-V) and all have either have had hydraulic steering or have been much easier to steer. Sold the last one about  7 years ago (hence my newbie status). Have a Contender Bay boat since then
I too am looking at going to hydraulic steering . Does anyone know if the Teleflex  Baystar  or Uflex hydraulic systems are more likely to work with a 2008 RF 16. It has a 2018 Mercury Pro XS 115 on the back. No Jackplate. Thanks. 

On 5/29/2020 at 12:28 PM, Stpetesal said:

Has anyone installed baystar steering kit on a hewes 16ft redfisher mine is a 2000, if so did you have any issues, thanks.

My 2017 Redfisher 16 with VF115 SHO came with a BayStar system - and I added a jack plate.  The BayStar steering has worked flawlessly with top speed of 52 mph.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 9:26 AM, geeviam said:

My 2017 Redfisher 16 with VF115 SHO came with a BayStar system - and I added a jack plate.  The BayStar steering has worked flawlessly with top speed of 52 mph.

took it out yesterday and it is doing fine, now in the market for new trolling motor

I had Baystar installed in mine . Started to do it myself but originally steering was so corroded I had to have a two guys come and cut some it out it was so rusted. Big improvement and it clearly fits. I had to order a new 5/8 decorative steering wheel nut as the original didn’t work. Unfortunately the trim tabs are now giving me a hard time and looks like they will need replacing before I get it back on the water. I am glad I have two boats!

The installation was easy if anyone needs some info let me know, the only thing that they do not provide for the 90hp Yamha is the spacer kit I used some stainless washers and it is fine, you would think for the price they would include the kit whether you use it or not  but that is marketing.

http://landmarinetoys.com/baystar-ho5090-spacer-kit-hydraulic-steering-cylinder-hc5345-5348-5358-teleflex/