1997 17' Master Angler

FLSnookhunter

Well, I've had my 97 17' Master Angler for almost 3 years now and just found out from some bottom cracks forming that there is some structural de-lamination issues. I am debating whether to deal with getting it fixed or selling the boat as-is for repair. I've added a good amount of things to the boat since I've purchased it and have not had a single issue until now. Here are some pictures. Let me know what you guys think. I recently moved from FL to NC and took the poling platform off. Boat_5.thumb.jpg.5a2af3287850f2bd93d2fce775c8a0dc.jpgIMG_5551.thumb.JPG.2e05696cf2179b574bd3a316ec3d0245.JPG

HoneyB - 

Actually, having gone through it, I learned that it doesn't have to be.   In hindsight, I could have had mine fixed for 2500 all in if I'd know what I was dealing with.   My problem was that nobody else had the same issue (and this 17 has a different issue than mine - cracks are forward of the cockpit vs in the stern), and I didn't know how far forward they extended or what the cause was.   If I knew then what I know now, I could have had a glass guy go in through an enlarged hatch in the splashwell and simply re-tab the back of the stringers.   I'm glad I extended my stringers, I"m glad I did what I did because well, I guess now I don't have to ever worry about it again.   

Based on what FL has shared with me, and the pics I've seen, whatever is going on is happening in the front, and should be accessible through the battery hatch in the front locker and potentially through the anchor compartment.   

FL Snook - it's been my experience that the more a potential buyer knows about the issue, the more it takes the "gamble" out of the equation, and gamble = lower price.   If you have a survey, pics, have done some investigation, etc, getting as much of that info out there will probably help.   You'll take a loss to sell it in this condition, but the less uncertainty there is around the issue - and the fix - the less of a loss it will be.

If you want to drive it down to Wilmington, I'm happy to look it over with you.   

I was not trying to be derogatory about the boat. I do agree if the repair can be made without tearing the boat apart it would be more appealing to a buyer. As a matter of fact I would likely have the repair made then decide to keep or sale. Anyone who is looking to buy a boat needing repair is looking to buy it for pennies on the dollar. 

• Like 1