Problem with SeaStar Hydraulic Steering

Mike45q

I went out this morning to take my 2003 Pathfinder Yami Powered Rig in for service. I am on a lift and as I tried to straighten out the motor to come off the lift the motor locked in the full left position. The steering wheel would turn to right but the motor ie the back cylinder would not move. The wheel would not turn anymore to the left. Helm station is HH 5271 and the back cylinder is a HC5342. No visible leaks but I tried to add fluid but didn't seem to take any fluid. I do have the fitting and hose to add fluid but don't have the fittings to bleed at the rear cylinder. Any ideas? I did check the price on new stuff and would hope that is not required.

Help??

Thanks in Advance

Mike

Good News played with steering wheel and something broke loose so it was probable just an air lock. Steering is definitely "mushie" so I need to flush out with fresh fluid and bleed from rear cylinder. I found a video on You Tube that shows out to do it by yourself.

You don't need anything more then a piece of clear 3/8 plastic hose to bleed the cylinder. Although the seastar manual calls for a complicated two man process of turning left and right and opening a closing bleeders there is a simpler way.All you do is attach a clear hose to both bleeders. Open both and then just keep turning the wheel until all air has been moved to the helm and vented out through the bottle.

I take no responsibility for this but I did speak to someone at Teleflex, the suggestion was made that the system could be flushed with ATF fluid to clean out any sludge. The bleeding process is.not difficult, I woukd suggest two hoses, one on each bleeder valve hanging outside the boat. You need to have a quart hunt at the helm and the silly little connection they give u on the hose for the helm fill to the qt can pop off, ask me how I know. Does help to have an extra person. Or u could call around and find someone with a power purge and let them knock it out pretty quick.

Archived