salt build up behind thermostat.

brudnlaw65

go to a feed store and get a large horse watering plastic trough...run the engine on muffs with salt away several times...then...in the horse watering station...

fill it with water and a gallon of salt away and let it idle for a while....so it gets hot and opens the thermostats and runs for a while.....watch the pee stream to insure tt doesn't over heat....you will feel it.....

Note, the through has to be deep enough to cover the entire lower unit, not just the intake port to allow it to create a good pee stream.

I run my 1996 yamaha 115 two smoker every week in fresh water horse drinking station....keeps the gas fresh and no build up in the carbs.

Good that it is ok, I will never understand why anyone with an outboard used in salt water doesn't flush the engine. Any boat kept in the water at a slip needs to be hooked up to a hose p and run for 10 minutes.  If you are trailering run the motor on muffs. I have one in the water and one on a trailer, it's simple to do while you clean up the boat.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LBass said:

How often should you run salt away through the motor?  

every trip if it's on the muffs....

as mentioned above.....I use a large horse water station and submerge my entire lower unit in the fresh water from the house.

I will sometimes throw in a full gallon of salt away..it bubbles up and I recirc the water by keeping the pee stream in the trough....

the first time I did this I found good bit of sand and crud in the bottom of the trough....now, I just run the motor for 15-20 min (I add fresh water as it gets hot)....while I"m fiddling with the skiff on the trailer.

DC

12 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

every trip if it's on the muffs....

as mentioned above.....I use a large horse water station and submerge my entire lower unit in the fresh water from the house.

I will sometimes throw in a full gallon of salt away..it bubbles up and I recirc the water by keeping the pee stream in the trough....

the first time I did this I found good bit of sand and crud in the bottom of the trough....now, I just run the motor for 15-20 min (I add fresh water as it gets hot)....while I"m fiddling with the skiff on the trailer.

DC

Thanks! Keep mine on a lift...need to figure it out.  Picking up the boat this week...