GPS Trolling Motor Connected to GPS

TP13

I Do not wish to throw mud in clear water but I have an XI5 and its not a question of whether it is worth it, it is WILL THE GPS FUNCTION AND LOWRANCE INTERFACE WORK. I have a Lowrance Carbon with the latest software (V.20.0) and my XI5 will not play nice with it. At one time it worked well and the auto pilot was nice. After one Lowrance update, I think it was 18.0 it would auto pilot to a waypoint and anchor there, that was a nice upgrade, but that was then and NOW there is currently some kind of glitch between Lowrance and MotorGuide. I am NOW so disappointed with MotorGuide I am on the list to get a Rohdan.

Rohdan is currently at least 8 weeks behind on stock but I am not in a hurry and still using my MotorGuide  (it still works great as a wireless trolling motor) until the Rohdan is available.

My XI5 will NOT consistently or sometimes even at ALL work in anchor lock and yes I have replaced the GPS module and the control board. To even use it I have had to disconnect the gateway connection to the Lowrance completely.

This is where the water may get muddy. Rohdan is currently working on their won Lowrance and Simrad interface. The newest Simrad software was released May 1st, and that was what Rohdan was needing to finish the interface. They are located in Sarasota Florida, answer the phone and e mail, stand behind there product and I am told by others in the know are the most accurate and reliable GPS assist trolling motor currently being made.

Sorry if this was not helpful. I was the Number 1 Motorguide XI5  fan until about eight months ago. Now I am looking foward to running it over with my truck.

Just I note to jh  after nearly 20 years working as Lowrance pro staffer I Never change my software when it first comes out! Wait a least 2 months to see who’s having problems. There is almost always a glitch somewhere my point is that it was working before the update . I am running 19.1 on a live and won’t update to 20 .  also jh try to put power to the trolling motor first before you turn on your Lowrance unit , deploy the TM let it lock on then turn on your Lowrance  see if that helps 

I appreciate the info. Thank You!!!   I worked with Lowrance support and have backed up all the way to 18.2 one version and test period at a time. I have no problem with Lowrance. I love my Carbon 16 and was happy with my HDS gen 2 10".  The problem is with MotorGuide and their Tech Support. Looking back my XI5 was ok ( it did some weird stuff and acted up sometimes when using anchor lock and heading lock  from day one ) up until I had to replace the lower unit due to normal wear and tear. When I took it apart one pin on the control board broke and caused the battery level LED to stop working so I replaced it. The new universal control board is a little different but seemed fine and when I put the XI5 on the NEMA network The Lowrance ask to update the XI5. It has never been the same. I even replaced the GPS module on the XI5 to their new one and that did not help. MotorGuide blames Lowrance. Lowrance has no explaination. MotorGuide will not help except to say, Do this:

Power up XI5 stowed

Deploy XI5

Wait for GPS connection on XI5

Power up NEMA

Power up Lowrance

That worked for about 15 minutes. 

Could this have anything to do with the NEW Lowrance Ghost..........

I have now disconnected the Gateway from the XI5 control board and am using the XI5 as a stand alone GPS enabled TM. I have redone the calibrations and done everything possible over the last two months to help this XI5 to operate correctly in Anchor Lock and Heading Lock. It just will not. So I am left with Buy a New one or "GO A DIFFERENT DIRECTION"

I Chose "RHODAN" 

I have been in constant contact with Rhodan and even if their Lowrance interface does not come for a while that's OK. I am much more in need of consistent and precise Anchor Lock and Heading lock.

So I will have a completely rebuilt MotorGuide XI5  (new Lower Unit, new Shaft, new Transmission, new Control Board, new GPS Module and I have all the receipts )  For sale, that's if i can refrain from running it over with my truck. By the way, I replaced the Transmission because it was slowly pulling right on max speed.

There is no update for motorguide is what I’ve been told  but I have got that screen also
, motorguide blames Lowrance , Lowrance says it motorgudes problem I am working on resolving some of this with my rep I will keep you informed  

I have found a problem also , It seems when you disconnect the power to the Nema and the Lowrance The unit  or the gateway does not recognize the trolling motor once the power has been shut off hence the need to re-initiate the system when put power back to system. The procedure that is described as what  I needed to get the system to recognize the motor I need to do that with my Xi5 and the new live  update 20 has not resolved this , when You say this worked for 15 min could you explain pm me if you like  Thanks 27F7014E-22B8-4EE7-A2DE-F91947C180F8.thumb.jpeg.a759a515a0a5b3255d5a10e8ef52b022.jpeg

"when You say this worked for 15 min could you explain"

So if I use the start up procedure given to me by MotorGuide and mentioned in the earlier post, it bypasses the "trolling motor update required" screen and the interface shows up on the left side of the Lowrance and it works until I use one of the GPS features. The trolling then does stupid stuff like wrapping the cord around the shaft or Anchor Lock for a minute then just automatically turn Anchor Lock off or if I use Heading Lock it pulls to one side then spins the motor in a circle. CRAZY.  I Think The "Trolling Motor Update Required" Damaged either the new Control Board or the New GPS Module. MotorGuide says take it to a dealer but it is not under warranty and the dealer says they can not test the GPS feature anyway. I have now put my old GPS Module back in and disconnected the Gateway. It works pretty good but still sometimes drops Anchor Lock. Just not consistent. The only other thing that could possibility be the problem is the Gateway. I thought I was doing a good thing when it needed a lower unit and I decided to Update (replace to the newer style) the GPS Module and Control Board at the same time. MotorGuide did say the new parts is what triggered it to think it needed an Update. 

It is a shame. I have been The #1 MotorGuide Fan. Now I have a pretty much new trolling motor that is not going to meet my fishing needs, I MUST HAVE Anchor Lock and Heading Lock. If not I would just put my tiller steer back on. Not really, the wireless remote is awesome, but I am now spoiled, anchor and heading lock are game changers.

I am going to the Rhodan as soon as I get the call its ready. I just hate for someone here to spend all that money and be disappointed because I did not share this info.

As Far Lowrance goes I Love It.

I have a 3 in 1 Active Imaging transducer coming to replace my Total Scan. Being told it is a major upgrade to the resolution.

Thanks for sharing. I hear others are having success and some are not. Got to be a reason for it. But I would agree if I can’t get spot lock to work, I would save the money and go with the tiller model.  

how old is the motorguide?

It is almost five years old. I did the rebuild and updates eight months ago. It gave me good service. There were a couple years we were Anchor Locking over wrecks off the Ft. Lauderdale coast for hours on end, its was a game changer. I mostly fish ENP out of Flamingo. We spend hours and hours moving along island shore lines in Whitewater Bay, or Anchor locking on points and near current rips. It served me well. 

By no means do I think you should go tiller or non GPS for that matter. These things work and are an absolute advantage. I personally would hesitate to put an XI5 on a NEMA 2000 network without a warranty and a MotorGuide  "Service Center" (not just a dealer) close by. I can not say if the new XI5 TMs are having interface issiues, I can only say that My 100 percent rebuilt and updated XI5  IS (it looks and is new inside and out) and MotorGuide is not interested in helping resolve it. Thats enough for me to move on.

I would love to hear others are NOT having problems !!!!!!     

Please Share !!

Posted in General Fourum by a  member today. Thought I woud pass it along...................

I wanna give kudos to Rhodan Marine. Last week i noticed the spot lock wasn't working on the TM, gps seemed to acquire, the thrust never came on. I called the shop and the usual questions were asked about the state of the BATTERIES, etc   I measured 38volts at the plug so batteries are fine, however the red light in the center was solid red.. A perplexing issue, since it was running perfectly even though the light was red and indicates approx 32v on the 36volt TM. 

I asked if i could have them run through it, if i get it to them.. I drove from Fort Myers to sarasota, an easy 1.5 hour drive to drop it off. The technician said go get lunch as he'll debug it while I wait and will call me ASAP.. I wasn't even done lunch and he called, telling me its all set.. I go back to the shop and loaded it up. Asked he what he found? He verified the center light was red even though it had proper voltage. He said he replaced the Comm board ( in the head of unit), and everything was working to factory specs. I am amazed how good the service was. it is a 2.5 year old unit and everything he did was no charge, he back charged it to warranty work, i had fully intended to pay for repairs, he insisted that it was warranty .. Service  Just as good as Power Pole, I am loving this TM and the service,  from Local FLA companies.. Go Rhodan, I will be buying another soon.. try doing that with the other brands 

100% agree to buy local from now on..