1986 Hewes Stalker

01treehugger

On 1/28/2008 at 5:24 PM, truenative said:

Here is my 1986 Hewes Stalker, The Redheaded Stepchild of the Hewes Family. I picked this up in December and have been doing my best to sort everything out while doing as much fishing as time allows (mostly quiet weeknights).

I spent some time with Joel & his Wife (Bob's Daughter) picking their brains of anything they remember about this model since there seems to be very little out there on the web about the Stalker.

Here is what I know so Far:

There were about 14 ever Made. Joel's wife recalls that they were almost [color:brown]all beige[/color] but mine appears to be the [color:blue]original color[/color] on the hull although the top was once ice blue but the previous owner gave it a pretty shotty coat of white.It was marketed as a very skinny & light model. It is what led Bob to design and build the redfisher. I don't know why so few were made. This was right around the time that Maverick took over Hewes boats so I don't know if it just faded away as a part of that transition or what.

On my To Do List:

Maybe Some New Yammy Power Got It !! Yamaha 90 is Hung

Rework the Area Under the Rear Deck, Remove Foam Add Support & Storage

Add Fibergl*** Cooler Flush with Front Deck Level

Add GPS/Sounder

Some Sort of Stereo, Probably Speakers under the Tower.

Convert all Lights to LED and Add one Pointing into my Baitwell.

Add the Boat's Name 'Truenative' of course

I'd Love to hear any Details anyone else has. Even any Hewes Stalker Stories. How about a Head Count? I know a forum member Subsurface has one. Is there anybody else who has or has owned one?

Thanks for all the Support and advice I've had here so far, I'm sure I'll need more. I love this forum! (kind of like that Country song 'I Love this Bar')

1201558588-Bow_top.jpg.b45798c1a0849a76f

1201558089-Deck.jpg.b083c40b8da28943aadf

1201558070-Rear.jpg.7a368b55a0acbcd5a26f

1201558020-Star.jpg.a5f4c7dcdebd410cccad

1201557998-Port.jpg.e7a650b6f1f79fb5c2be

1201557931-profile.jpg.6599dbb0379aad558

1201557916-Water_Shot.jpg.1f563d1fb24340

1201557897-Truck_Boat.jpg.ea9065296bc672

I think the boat hull I bought is actually this boat.

IMG_1094.jpg

I rigged and logged a bunch of time on a Stalker. It belonged to a friend I did a ton of fishing with back then in ENP, mostly Whitewater Bay. We used to run to Cane Patch and The Rookery Branch and I remember fuel was always a concern. I believe it held less than 20 gallons in the bow. I hung a new 90 hp Johnson on it. I remember it was difficult to Find a solid spot to mount the water separator. Had some kind of foam core board it a lot of places. It was very light and was pretty fast for back then. The one thing I remember being told by the guys at Bob Hewes on 125 street was it had PVC stringers, whatever that meant. It had a good ride for what it was and floated very shallow. 

Just because of the memory's, I would go oyster white..........just kidding. I would love to see it refurbed and on the water. For us back then it was our Cadillac. 

Good Luck with it and keep us posted!!!!

• Like 1

I have no experience with fiberglass repair or stuff like that, I leave that part to experts, but I know for sure there are materials out there "now" that would replace whats there and still be light weight and a lot stronger. My Pathfinder has that modern light stuff in it.

There is some good info pinned in this forum about stuff like that.