Pathfinder 2300HPS

Bill Ragon

I was waxing my 2019 2300HPS yesterday for the first time, hand waxing.  I noticed on the starboard side only. The fiberglass was rough, not smooth at all. I felt  it on the right stern and below the lower splash rib on the side of the boat. Is this done for a reason or just the way it is?

Thanks bill ragon

Could be a lot of things, Bill.  I can't see it leaving the factory with rough gelcoat, but it's possible. Can you post a photo ?

How rough is it ?  Is it glossy but rough or like sanded down flat ?

If the hull rubbed on a piling, or a floating board with a bolt lapped against it for hours..  All kinds of reasons it is rough.

A photo may help.

Your dealer is the first place to go to correct it  if it a warranty issue.

If its not bad, you can buff it out easily if you have the tools.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Bill.  The dull gelcoat does not show real well in the photos.. The scratches around the lifting ring look like chafing from that cable on the ring or by a dock rubbing the corner.  There are a couple of good scuffs on the gelcoat too. The boat would not leave the factory with those marks for sure.  Those minor scratches would come right off if you rubbed in some fiberglass cleaner wax like Meguires. 

The dull part of the hull may need to be buffed out. I can't say for sure.

I am not sure if another dealer would do the work.  I would suggest that you contact the dealer you purchased it from and inquire.  It would be easier for you, to work it into a trip.

It's a beautiful boat.. Best to keep it looking perfect !

Mod Marc

I'm sorry, Bill   The rough patch is underneath the spray rail ?  Your terms threw me off looking at the pics..  That area could be missed.

Did you see if the dealer you will be near will cover the warranty correction ?  If they will not, let me know and I will see if I can help you with it..

Mod Marc

try:

light wet sand using a square block - 1000 grit followed by

3 M compounding 

followed by.....

3 M Finesse It

Buy a buffer for this and future use....you'll have it looking new in no time....by the time you take it to a dealer, hassle, etc., you can do it yourself...

=Total time should be about 2 hours....and two cold ones when you are completed with the job.

Question?  Not trying to be rude, but, 

It's a 2019?  And you are just noticing this now?   Or, is this a new to you 2019 ? How long have you owned the boat?

DC

Thank for the instructions.  Any help would be appreciated.  No the reason I just found it a few months ago. I ordered in March finally got it delivered to Tennessee the end of June.  I got my electronics put on in August. But the end of August I hurt my back, my wife’s cancer came back, I had back surgery in October , and she had part of her left upper lung taken out in November.  So I was down and not able to do much. So this Spring was first time I had actually hand waxed and felt it. Before I just had used a spray on wax cleaner when I loaded it. 

What kind of buffer do you recommend. 
Again thanks for help and concerns

I don’t regret buying it at all, but hate not a dealer closer 

Bill Ragon 

Sorry for the rough journey, Bill.  Sounds like the boat will be a welcome pleasure, and you don't need this aggravation.

It would be a simple fix at the next service if your dealer were close.

Dino (Capt. Dewalt) is a very helpful DIY-Correctly guy.  Many others can let you know how to work the gelcoat finish on your HPS.  The polisher will be a helpful tool to speed up the cleaning & waxing regimen.  I use a Porter Cable 7424.  It is heavy by the end of the job. There are some lighter polishers out there.. I'll let the guys jump in and offer advice on waxes they prefer..  I will send you a private message to see if I can get the polish arranged.

Mod Marc

Bill:

Sorry to hear of your family's health challenges.  I second the recommendation from Marc on the Porter Cable 7424.  I have used the same machine for years on both boats and cars. You can't get in trouble with it because it is a variable speed random orbital, not rotary, so you'd have to work really hard to overdo with this machine. Use the right foam cutting and/or polishing pad and the appropriate cutting/polishing compound based on the degree of roughness you're starting with. As Capt. DeWalt mentioned, if it's really rough, you'll need to start with wet/dry sandpaper before progressing to the PC.