18 Light Tackle re-power 140 or 200?

JC33460

Hello All,

I am considering re-powering my 1998 Hewes Light Tackle. Currently I have a 1998 150 Yamaha V-Max and think its time to re-power. 

I have had good success with Suzuki and have a good relationship with a local dealer so I am considering a Suzuki. I have been doing some research on both the DF140 (405lbs)  and the DF200 (518lbs). The dealer suggests the 200hp will be fine but it looks slightly larger in size.

My Current motor is 417lbs 150HP Yamaha VMax.

Looking for input and hopefully someone has this setup on either a light tackle or redfish?

This LT is what became the newer Redfisher hull design correct? IMO the 2 stroke 150 is the ideal power to weight for that hull but you can always add 100lbs on your transom area and see how it sits/runs with the added weight. You will likely have to sort out some porpoising issues if you go with the larger 4 stroke engine. Those df140s are great efficient motors but realize it will be a downgrade in performance over your current setup. Maybe look into the df150-175 as an in between 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Toeknee217 said:

This LT is what became the newer Redfisher hull design correct? IMO the 2 stroke 150 is the ideal power to weight for that hull but you can always add 100lbs on your transom area and see how it sits/runs with the added weight. You will likely have to sort out some porpoising issues if you go with the larger 4 stroke engine. Those df140s are great efficient motors but realize it will be a downgrade in performance over your current setup. Maybe look into the df150-175 as an in between 

Thank you Toeknee217. The DF-150 - 200 is all about the same weight. I think I will be going with the 140hp but still doing my research. 

I have a 130 Yamaha on mine. It's a good match. A buddy just replaced his 130 with the new lightweight Suzuki 140. He reports although performance suffers a bit, 6 miles per gallon is pretty sporty. Worth considering!  The boat will still run mid to high 40s.