HPS Transducer Install

Zlenart

Right now I have the transducer where it should be. Under the gas tank in front of the step, but it's the transducer for an 8 year old garmin unit. I have an Echomap 94SV on the boat with no transducer connected. How difficult is it to swap that transducer out for the new one? Is it even possible to do? 

Sure it's possible. First, you have to get the replacement transducer and have it ready to install. You could try to remove the big nut that threads onto the transducer from the inside of the hull. If that doesn't work, you can find solvent that melts the caulking used in the original install. I ordered my 23 hps without a transducer and installed a Airmar B-60 with 12 degree angle. It's tough working through that hole in the gas tank, but with the right tools and patients, it can be done.  

1 minute ago, Sunstone said:

Mine is a shot through also.  The dealer mounted it in a goop putty looking stuff.  Not sure if it stays somewhat soft and you can just pry it out.  I wanted to change it out for a better airmar but I'm afraid of messing it up. 

how do you get to it?

if i understand right  you have a shoot thru garmin in the tank well and a transom mount  not installed and all are garmin.

keep the shoot thru use it and then put the transom mount in the pocket slightly  lower than normal to get good flow on plane.

you should be able to  use both and tell the unit which transducer for each function.

sorry guys, it's confusing for me too. Smilemaker, pretty sure you got it lol. Learning as I go as I just bought this boat and never really dealt with any of this on previous boats. Just to confirm, here's the set up broken down.

At purchase of boat Garmin gpsmap 740s was installed with a shoot thru transducer (not sure of model). Still connected as it was originally.

Second owner purchased and installed am echomap plus 94sv last year. It came with a garmin transom mount transducer (CV51M-TM) that is capable of side and structure scan. Not installed. 

Would like to update the GPSmap 740s or maybe eliminate it and run everything to the new 94sv, as the gpsmap 740 is getting pretty dated. Sounds like smilemakers solution is the way to go.