Hewes with F300!

triplec

Completely redesigning and tooling up for a completely different hull doesn't make financial sense.  They definitely tweaked the 21MA to come up with this "new" bottom.  I am in agreement with some of the others.  I would like them to detail the improvements and changes they made to the bottom. 

Also,  That build sheet is quite pricey on a lot of things.  Someone could definitely bring that price down by shopping around.     

22 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

My guess is that they were going for speed over comfort!  

It really would be cool if this RF 21 was an updated and improved 21 MA.  If they do the same with the 18, I may be talking to the bank about a home equity loan, in spite of my "never borrow for a boat" stance.  Just dont know that I could resist . . .

BTW, I really REALLY like the fact that they got rid of the splashwell/pie hole design.  More deck, better bilge access, a great move.

The 21 RF deck didn't have a splash well in the past either.  I agree that it needs a front livewell though.  I only use the rear if my wife wants shrimp or if I net too many whitebait (rare).  Good looking boat though.

• Like 1

An awful drawing with a mouse, but it seems like this would be a good location for a half-round factory-addon live well.  Enough floor space, and a good place for the additional weight without being too far forward.  Just a thought.  I remember the SeaHunter 18 flats boat had this option.

Hewes_new_fwd-LW.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, geeviam said:

An awful drawing with a mouse, but it seems like this would be a good location for a half-round factory-addon live well.  Enough floor space, and a good place for the additional weight without being too far forward.  Just a thought.  I remember the SeaHunter 18 flats boat had this option.

Hewes_new_fwd-LW.jpg

That seems like a brilliant location/concept for it.   For one thing, by keeping it further aft, you affect the balance less and you also get less splashing/impact.   Plus, you extend your deck.   it would be a cool addition, especially if they blinged it up a bit with a clear window/hatch.

• Like 1

The 21 Master Angler had a front well. I keep my cast net in there and turn the pump on to rinse it out. Most folks fish off the bow of a flats boat. If you don't close the well every time someone is going to break a leg. Further more, no matter how good the ride the bait gets beat to death in a forward well.

I tried using it but never cared for it but love it for it's use now.

Then of course, it better have a good seal or sooner or later your gonna be eating bait well water at the helm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

The 21 Master Angler had a front well. I keep my cast net in there and turn the pump on to rinse it out. Most folks fish off the bow of a flats boat. If you don't close the well every time someone is going to break a leg. Further more, no matter how good the ride the bait gets beat to death in a forward well.

I tried using it but never cared for it but love it for it's use now.

Then of course, it better have a good seal or sooner or later your gonna be eating bait well water at the helm.

All good points.  I agree more with your thinking on this Capt. Troy.  I posted the idea as an option because there were already quite a few comments - wanting a forward live well.  I remember many days fishing a 25' Seavee with the live bait well in the floor at the stern, and the bait still got beat up - so I can see how having live bait up front could be a harsh environment for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dale I am not sure if a live well that far forward would work that great but I am sure that a step to get on that front deck easier would help . You know my knees would love it . I often use a shallow cooler as a step to step up on my HPX 18 ‘s front deck . It may be fine for a young man with good knees but for a old guy with bad knees I have a few knee friendly ways I use . Lots of time I sit on the deck than turn around forward and get up . The deck didn’t seem that high a few years ago . 

• Like 1

I disagree, BDSnook and I fish together and alternate boats, mine is a 16 RF and his is a 21 MA. The 21 MA is definitely a live bait boat with live wells in the front and back. his boat rides like a greyhound through the water in smooth and rough water, mine is more like a jack Russell terrier bouncing along in any kind of water.  We use the front live well on his boat exclusively. It has a large lid opening,  seals around the edge and holds a ton of bait. Now, when it gets dicey on the water and it is full some small amounts of water will splash out. Other than that it is a great option for me, a live bait kind of guy.

On the other hand when we get into my boat and use the live well the lid opening is WAY to small, it feels like the size of a shoe box lid after being on Dave's boat. It is also in the rear and we fish off the bow using the trolling motor or power poled up. we have to go to the back of the boat every time we need a bait.

IMO, this new boat could use a step and front live well.

IMG952966.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lurem said:

Dale, I can't disagree with your position as well.  A live bait guy like yourself needs the bait close to where you are fishing from in the boat.

Captain Ralph Delph, the owner of that SeaVee 25 that I mentioned earlier was a genius and did figure out how to keep live bait in the well from getting beat up so badly when we were in rough waters and the boat was being tossed around or bouncing.  His idea brings to mind an invention idea.  But first, his method:  He installed a electric/hydraulic valve on his live well overflow that partially closed the overflow so that the water level would rise all the way up against the bottom of the live well hatch/lid, thereby removing any air space in the live well for the water to slosh around and toss the baitfish around.  He locked the lid down so it stayed shut and would not pop open because it was absolutely full.  Some water would pour out (overflow) onto the deck and run out the scuppers, but it worked.  The live baitfish were suspended in the density of calmer water that was not moving much, because there was no air space for waves and turbulence to occur.

So here's the new idea:  Make sure the live well hatch/lid has a good gasket seal, and can be locked down tightly, so water won't splash or leak out during a rough ride.  Install a "T" or "Y" on the live well overflow drain line, so that one side or the other could be used with valves (manual or electric).  One side of the tee would be fed by the normal level drain or stand-pipe, and the other side of the tee would be fed by a drain that is situated on the underside of the live well lid, with maybe a flexible hose attached that can move freely when the hatch is opened/closed.  Or better yet, maybe a PVC elbow could come from the side and be aimed up against the hatch lid with just 1/2" or less clearance so again, the tank fills up completely when no air space is wanted, for rough seas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lurem said:

I disagree, BDSnook and I fish together and alternate boats, mine is a 16 RF and his is a 21 MA. The 21 MA is definitely a live bait boat with live wells in the front and back. his boat rides like a greyhound through the water in smooth and rough water, mine is more like a jack Russell terrier bouncing along in any kind of water.  We use the front live well on his boat exclusively. It has a large lid opening,  seals around the edge and holds a ton of bait. Now, when it gets dicey on the water and it is full some small amounts of water will splash out. Other than that it is a great option for me, a live bait kind of guy.

On the other hand when we get into my boat and use the live well the lid opening is WAY to small, it feels like the size of a shoe box lid after being on Dave's boat. It is also in the rear and we fish off the bow using the trolling motor or power poled up. we have to go to the back of the boat every time we need a bait.

IMG952966.jpg

OK Dale sounds good to me . 😊

Hey RockyG,

It all depends on how you fish.. The avid anglers want clean layouts and bait capacity, with great speed.. Some people scuba dive off their boats.. Family guys want the ability to fish with buddies on Saturday, and take out the family for tubing and a beach picnic on Sunday.

Your TRS can do anything.. comfortably and efficiently.. Great choice for a quality boat !!

This new Hewes is a capable and fast fishing platform.. It is built for fishermen in seven states. The model will evolve.

In the mean time.. have huge fun with your boat.. Put up some pics of smiling faces and fish !!

Mod Marc

• Like 1

Skip,

Old timer here! My first Maverick was ordered at the factory in 1992! 

Waited a long time for this size Maverick/Hewes flats boat to come back to life!

Two questions, maybe you covered, didn't hear it mentioned in the video. Approximate weight on the hull, with 300 Yammy?

With that, does the Amertrail double axle you're using, have brakes? 

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, RockyG said:

Disclaimer.....I have never set foot on a MA21. Is it just me or does this look like my 2200 TRS with less comfortable seating? For $90k. No thanks. Evidently I'm happy with my current boat.  :)

I also have 22 TRS and am very happy with it. There are three basic back water boats.  The Skiff, very, very shallow, slow and bumpy,can go where no other boat can go. The Flats, not nearly as skinny, fast and dry, wide and stable and The Bay, need almost a foot of water, Can be very fast, lots of range (fuel) heavy and stable, dry and comfortable. sides to lean on ( great for kids and old guys like me) This what I chose because it meets my needs.

The MAs are Flats boats, and as flats boats go they are one of the best in the chop by design, but they are still Flats boats. 

The New Hewes Redfisher 21 is the Cadillac  it seems of "Flats Boats" It is extremely  wide and all around just BIG. Look at it on the trailer. Sits above the fenders. 

It is not intended to replace our Bay boats, It just meets another part of the market. 

If I was a Flats Boat guy, I would want one.......well maybe, they are pricey.

• Like 1

a simple piece of foam cut to drop in the front livewell will solve the bait from getting beat around. It kinda acts like a pressurized well. 4"- 6" thick depending on your stack height, but you want a tight fit when the lid closes.

Much less sloshing around.

Can even be cut it in half for easier storage when not needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, captpn said:

a simple piece of foam cut to drop in the front livewell will solve the bait from getting beat around. It kinda acts like a pressurized well. 4"- 6" thick depending on your stack height, but you want a tight fit when the lid closes.

Much less sloshing around.

Can even be cut it in half for easier storage when not needed.

Excellent idea!  And the list of boats you've owned in your signature line is impressive as well.  All good ones in my book - but you came back to the MA 21!  I'm not surprised.  👍

16 hours ago, MA92 said:

Skip,

Old timer here! My first Maverick was ordered at the factory in 1992! 

Waited a long time for this size Maverick/Hewes flats boat to come back to life!

Two questions, maybe you covered, didn't hear it mentioned in the video. Approximate weight on the hull, with 300 Yammy?

With that, does the Amertrail double axle you're using, have brakes? 

Thanks!

2230lbs. without the engine, the F300 is 558lbs.  Yes the AT trailer is a dual axle, not sure on the brakes, need to check, don't think it comes with brakes. 

Skip

17 hours ago, RockyG said:

Disclaimer.....I have never set foot on a MA21. Is it just me or does this look like my 2200 TRS with less comfortable seating? For $90k. No thanks. Evidently I'm happy with my current boat.  :)

Not 90k, not even close, not sure where that number came from.  

Skip

28 minutes ago, slyshon said:

Not 90k, not even close, not sure where that number came from.  

Skip

Skip if 90K isn’t close than what is the boat motor trailer and fees price for this all new 21 ft Hewes . Seems like everyone is interested in the price and sounds like your the guy that has that information .  Thanks for setting the record straight we are not asking for a super deal just the factory suggested price of the boat motor and trailer with fees .   Joe R 

11 minutes ago, dabear said:

Skip if 90K isn’t close than what is the boat motor trailer and fees price for this all new 21 ft Hewes . Seems like everyone is interested in the price and sounds like your the guy that has that information .  Thanks for setting the record straight we are not asking for a super deal just the factory suggested price of the boat motor and trailer with fees .   Joe R 

Nicely rigged like #1 in the video around 70-75 out the door including trailer, electronics and options. 

Skip

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slyshon said:

2230lbs. without the engine, the F300 is 558lbs.  Yes the AT trailer is a dual axle, not sure on the brakes, need to check, don't think it comes with brakes. 

Skip

Why is the boat so heavy?

Maybe I am remembering wrong but I believe the 21 MA was around 1300 lbs dry hull. Is this boat that much bigger than the MA?

Back to the live well. Pressurized wells have been around for a long time. They just require a little more plumbing and everyone I have seen is at the stern and every one leaked a little some where. Even through the latches.

With the width of the gunnels I never step up and down off the front deck to go to the bait well. I walk the gunnels. "Old abused knees and back"

I have a long handle dip net and don't even have to bend down.

When fishing customers I sit behind them and work out of the pit with them on the bow. That is why I don't use the front well.

1 hour ago, slyshon said:

Nicely rigged like #1 in the video around 70-75 out the door including trailer, electronics and options. 

Skip

Wow that is a lot lower than I would of guessed . Thanks for settling that round of guess that tune 🎵🎶 . Joe R 

• Like 2