Capt COTO - Snook Meister of Flamingo

Finally got the opportunity to get out on COTO's HPX-V 17....

He's got the skiff tuned perfectly for shallow water fishing of Flamingo.

It had been years since I've been out on the flats of Flamingo...I've fished the canals and some of the areas out front.

Years ago Coto fished all the islands and flats of Flamingo....

We decided to go yesterday, wheels up at 0330 from FLL and at the dock by 0545 along with about a doz boats.....

We decided to head out to and begin our day on the flats of Jimmy Lake and had a few shots, but, no love....we moved of this flat as about another 1/2 dozen boats began to to come up on the flat and things were getting a bit busy....we moved to another and more boats....ugggh...by now, we counted at least 20-25 boats within sight...not good.

So, we decided to make a move to the outer flats and some of the big islands out front....

We stopped in some of the canals and found some reds for dinner.....

COTO was up on the tower most of the day and his eyes are much better than mine....he would say, Dino, 1 O'clock, 20 yards, redfish - CAST !!!! I'm like where, where ???

He was snipping the reds off the tower with precision casting....of course, I had to take them off the jigs when they arrived boat side :)

We decided to make a run to another of COTO's old spots and ran across the skinny tot he back side of an island....

Pole and troll in effect, we dropped off plane and were making our way into the island.

COTO sees a set of bubbles and some push...he nails the cast and then it's game on....

We were only in about 18" of water and the big girl was ripping line and running straight off into the flats...we couldn't figure out what it was as we had seen some jacks and small sharks....no head shake, no jump...just pure power...drag screaming....COTO says, I think we are going to need the net :)

finally, the big girl gave us a profile view.  And, almost on cue, we both shout out......it's a snook...

I'm fumbling  trying to get the stow way  net out of the hatch - note to COTO, let's keep the net out :) So I can grab it easily...

After a nice fight....she come aboard for a few pics and then swims off to get ready for the breeding season....

A few pics of the day...these were shot with my Iphone11 and I processed using Lightroom...next trip I'll take long my Nikon gear...it's been too long since I've shot...

Overall...1/2 dozen reds...two home for dinner with COTO...i had a few mid size snooks and a nice mid slot reds...cant' wait to get out front again !!!!

Saw Big Dave and Mike...I"m sure their report will be forth coming....great to see you guys.....

COTO ON THE TOWER

1035902684_Alexflamingo2.thumb.jpg.0747bcaff7e4a064721a59f086b30016.jpg

OUR BIG GIRL FOR THE DAY.......we forgot to measure the big girl as we wanted to get her back in the water quickly and in good health as we saw quite a few bull sharks crusing around......but, as perspective the front of the hatch is 32"...he has a ruler in the sea-deck....we think she was 35-37"...but, a big girl in any book ;)

849553195_alexflamingo3.thumb.jpg.05acb8017af781a9e9dec24d4dd6fcdc.jpg

1815558465_alexflamingo.thumb.jpg.e11e70c16a72ebc91788b7b5b0b6a336.jpg

• Like 2

Had a great time Dino.  I haven’t been out there since March 5 so I am thankful the park was opened up. Lot of boats and a lot of floating grass but a beautiful day.

The icing on the cake will be blackened redfish tonight for a Mother’s Day dinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coto said:

Dino we gotta get back to that Snook hotel we found, it's too bad we rolled up there like a drive by shooting and spooked everyone.

Yep, they were running across the little lagoon into the mangroves like piglets on their way to the barn to eat dinner....

At least we know we have a somewhat healthy fishery.....

Too much dead grass :(

DC

On 5/12/2020 at 12:36 PM, Big Dave said:

Coto, I probably weight 100 lbs less than Dino!  I'll go with you sometime!

yeah, but then the bow would stick too far out of the water...I have designed my body to be the perfect ballast for the 17 on the bow....with Coto and the motor on the stern...we float perfectly flat .....

:)

dc

• Like 2