How Rough is Too Rough

Paintman77

So I'm getting my feet wet with my new to me Pathfinder.  So far so good, we love it.  It's time to utilize it's versatility and start creeping offshore while the migratory species are making their way through SC this summer.  My question is how rough is too rough. 2ft@ 7sec., 1ft@ 8sec. etc, etc.  I know a lot of knowledge will come with experience and time on the water, just wanted to hear what the masses say.  Boat is 04' 2200v,  most reefs here are inside the 15NM range.  Thanks in advance.

There is no way to give a good answer.... way to many variables, as a general rule The period should be at least twice... preferably 3 times the wave height.  Also the period they give is the dominant period I like to also consider the avg period I find itll give you a more accurate read on the conditions.   I find alot of times when swell is involved the challenge becomes can you safely depart the inlet and return?  Ive been out in some big swells from 6 to 10' at long intervals.... no issue being offshore but getting out the inlet is a whole other story.  

As I'm touching 70 I have noticed getting too rough to go out has been reducing every year. Used to be wave predictions of 6-to 8's were my limit, then 4 to 6's, then 3 to 5's now me and the wife are quite favorable to 2 to 4's or even better 1 to 3's!! Soon, 1" to 6" waves are good!  :)

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DonV said:

As I'm touching 70 I have noticed getting too rough to go out has been reducing every year. Used to be wave predictions of 6-to 8's were my limit, then 4 to 6's, then 3 to 5's now me and the wife are quite favorable to 2 to 4's or even better 1 to 3's!! Soon, 1" to 6" waves are good!  :)

At pushing 72 in same boat as you. Getting old s...... But has its benefits to. With age comes experience and wisdom. LOL 😀🙏 fin

• Like 2

General run for me:

1) If you are taking anything over the bow, it's too rough to troll

2.) If you are taking anything over the stern, it's time to go in 

3.) If you exit the inlet and see the elephants walking - turn around

I've been in some bad stuff off the keys that fired up....yes, not comfortable and I made it back...could I fish in it ? No !!!

The boat will take a pounding and she rides well in the bad stuff...the problem is you very little bow rise and because they are light you tend to pitch pole forward on close waves (e.g. coming into an inlet be careful).

It's not about the size of the waves, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc...it's about your skills, the conditions of the boat and what you are fishing for on the ocean...

Out trolling you can easily spend the day in 3-4"s if they are rollers....but, remember, there are always the 3-5 that will be part of that pack.

Anchoring in anything more than 2-3 is not FUN !!!....they are light and tend to bounce on top of the waves.....but, with that comes alot of movement in the cockpit.

Pic your days....you'll begin to know your limits and what you are comfortable fishing in....

DC

• Like 3

I have the same boat 04 2200 and I fish in mobile bay and the gulf. Winds are a huge factor. If I see winds out of the north over 15 knots, I’ll stay in the rivers or stay home. Any other winds and seas from 1-3 with a 5 sec period, I’m in. I’ve been in 5 ft with 3-4 sec and was not comfortable. The boat can handle it but just makes for a rough ride. Wave period is the time between each wave peak, so longer wave period creates those rollers. Last thing, always check your marine weather like noaa and look at buoys for a better feel of how the seas are. 
hope this helps, Adam.

Guest DavidG

I think Bernie nailed it !  At 60 years old and fished most of it,  If you have to question it means stay inside the jetties! As a retired FF, we lost 2 FFs who towed their boat to west palm and went out never to be seen again. I learned something from that! Let someone know where you’ll be fishing at. Secondly, anything that floats put your name and hull# on it! And last, anyone who owns a boat should invest in a EPIRB whether a personal one or a automatic. Even if you fish inshore! It just might save your life! I hate to preach but if just one member listens then it’s worth it!....David

All great advice. I picked up an ACR PLB. Yes I registered it. Went +\~ 15 miles the other day. Had A  great time!!!  I think the best advice thus far is......If you have to debate and study over it repeatedly, then it’s probably a no go for my little 2200v. The more I venture the more I’ll learn. Luckily I have several friends with similar sized boats, some have the same boat,  so we’re able to deliberate with one another on the forecast. Some have higher comfort levels than myself, and others don’t have children, but I do, and there’s not a fish in the world worth more than that 👍🏼

C99C1434-1DDC-4589-A498-520824A2840D.jpeg

668A0B0B-1ED0-4702-9239-E29F253FC44F.jpeg