1990 Redfisher budget build

Toeknee217

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy how something as simple as bottom paint completely changes the look of the boat. Im really happy with the shop who did the work. Went with Pettit vivid instead of vc performance epoxy bc it only comes in white and would've looked bad with my cloud white on top. Ordered the rub-rail and going to be putting gas for the first time in the new tank. I can't wait to smell premix on startup!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a lot done over the last few days. Installed new taco marine rub-rail, new stainless steering wheel, deep cycle battery, new battery cables, and plugged up all the poling platform holes on the transom for now. The top terminal on the starting solenoid snapped on me so ill be set back again to find the part. Almost there 

6 hours ago, Toeknee217 said:

Got a lot done over the last few days. Installed new taco marine rub-rail, new stainless steering wheel, deep cycle battery, new battery cables, and plugged up all the poling platform holes on the transom for now. The top terminal on the starting solenoid snapped on me so ill be set back again to find the part. Almost there 

Looking good. Did you do all the wiring yourself?

19 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Funcionality is deffinently the most important. Something can also be said about having an intimate knowledge of your vessels wiring. Solid work

I definitely agree. I know you have a different hull but I will  probably post photos of the inside of the console and bilge areas later on so that others can reference if needed. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Toeknee217 said:

Yes she's MUCH louder than the 2.5s I have on the other boat without the drilled exhaust. Im hoping it'll be bearable once started in the water. 

I have several buddies that are into the speed boats.  You can hear a 2.4 or 2.5 merc from a couple miles away when they are on the pad and running!  Very unique sound  

3 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

I have several buddies that are into the speed boats.  You can hear a 2.4 or 2.5 merc from a couple miles away when they are on the pad and running!  Very unique sound  

As soon as I have the funds I'm going to have to get a trolling motor so I can shut off a couple yards before the area I want to fish... especially in flamingo ENP

15 hours ago, TURN ME LOOSE said:

"Offshore exhaust" commonly found on Hydrostreams, STVs, Mirage's, Action's, etc.

yes I definitely thought it was an offshore midsection as its quite a bit beefier than the others. 

Finally got to drop the boat in the water for the first time! I was able to easily get up to 40+ mph with just my father and I on the boat for a couple of runs. It performs better than I could've imagined and didn't porpoise whatsoever. I do not doubt the boat can reach upper 60's with this engine. On the way back towards the ramp my father was recording me driving and I noticed the steering give out, ended up popping one of the steering hoses and had to back off and got lucky it had just enough fluid to get back on trailer. Bought new hoses today and I'm going to work on the Merc because it doesn't like to idle under load. Getting back to work but I'm still considering today to be a huge success!

1B7A01B9-7954-4E68-AC30-9DA0E75D68D6.jpeg

76F0B1A0-ABD9-4A66-B1D4-89D156473E0A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Installed the new steering hoses and took the Hewes out yesterday with the ol man to test her out again and do some bass fishing. She sounds like a hotrod at idle and definitely screams on the top end like Lap It Up mentioned. I easily kept up with the passing cars along side that were going 55+ mph and that's with an old fixed hub prop that I believe is slipping. Im going to try to post vids

42304AB8-4270-45F6-9650-186EB818C1FF.jpeg

CB4E989C-236C-4B69-B2CB-7D4D962FE07F.jpeg