1990 Redfisher budget build

Toeknee217

I grew up with two of these in the family. The first was an 80s model with the livewell boxes on the transom. Originally powered by a 140 Evinrude and then repowered by a 130 Yamaha. Sold to an uncle. The second was a 93 dad bought from Capt. Murphy. Powered with a 150 XR6 Merc. Repowered by a 135 Optimax and then stolen. Said all that to say this, I remember the ride of both very well. Is it amazingly soft? No, but for what it is, an 18 foot flats boat, it's a great ride. You'll enjoy the boat, the compliments you get, and the memories made for as long as you own it. Then, you'll regret selling it.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 4:49 PM, TURN ME LOOSE said:

I grew up with two of these in the family. The first was an 80s model with the livewell boxes on the transom. Originally powered by a 140 Evinrude and then repowered by a 130 Yamaha. Sold to an uncle. The second was a 93 dad bought from Capt. Murphy. Powered with a 150 XR6 Merc. Repowered by a 135 Optimax and then stolen. Said all that to say this, I remember the ride of both very well. Is it amazingly soft? No, but for what it is, an 18 foot flats boat, it's a great ride. You'll enjoy the boat, the compliments you get, and the memories made for as long as you own it. Then, you'll regret selling it.

Thanks for that and sorry to hear about your Hewes being stolen. The recollections from owners such as yourself  have had me drooling at these lapstrake Hewes for years.  I see myself creeping well past my "budget" already but I know this boat is worth it and ill be keeping it for years to come. My father and I did a similar re-do with our classic contender 25 so I'm quite fond of all these sought after hulls and the process of getting them back onto the water. As far as the ride goes, my last flats boat was a Carolina Skiff so I'm sure this boat will ride incredibly in comparison. 

I went from a Mako 17 to the Redfisher and my wife was not happy because of the safety factor for our daughters but when she went for a ride she was amazed in the ride quality over the Mako. It was like going from a VW bug to a Cadillac. Just the responsiveness alone was amazing! You will enjoy it for many years to come.

By the way my wife wants me to find our old Redfisher and buy it back!

A neighbor of mine had an 89 Redfisher in what looked like a faded bikini blue and the original Johnson sitting along the side of his house for a friend to get exposure. It was sitting on a nice  aluminum trailer and the original poling platform out the back. Wonder if that was yours? The ad said it needed a repaint and wanted $6500 and came with the new paint if I remember correctly.  Cant be that many in that color down here. 

2 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

I went from a Mako 17 to the Redfisher and my wife was not happy because of the safety factor for our daughters but when she went for a ride she was amazed in the ride quality over the Mako. It was like going from a VW bug to a Cadillac. Just the responsiveness alone was amazing! You will enjoy it for many years to come.

By the way my wife wants me to find our old Redfisher and buy it back!

Does anyone know if I will require setback via a Jackplate in order to clear the splash well when in full tilt of the outboard? Baystar is not an option bc of the horsepower limit of 150hp. I know the 16 footers of this era were problematic with hydraulic steering but I'm not sure about the 90s lapstrake Hewes 18'

I can't remember if they had hydraulic steering or not, as it was so long ago, but every motor we ever had (on both boats) never had any problems clearing. That would be an 80s 140 Evinrude, a early 90s 130 Yamaha, a '93 150 XR6 Mercury, and a 2000 135 Optimax. Not a jackplate on either of the two boats. Every motor tilted fully out of the water without hitting.

On 5/14/2020 at 9:53 AM, TURN ME LOOSE said:

I can't remember if they had hydraulic steering or not, as it was so long ago, but every motor we ever had (on both boats) never had any problems clearing. That would be an 80s 140 Evinrude, a early 90s 130 Yamaha, a '93 150 XR6 Mercury, and a 2000 135 Optimax. Not a jackplate on either of the two boats. Every motor tilted fully out of the water without hitting.

Im basically hanging an xr6 so ill just  hold off and try it without a jackplate first. Thanks 

• 5 weeks later...

Also got the bottom sandblasted and it revealed quite a few blisters and imperfections on the bottom. Seems the previous owner had this boat in the water many years in the keys with bottom paint but no barrier coat. After fixing the imperfections I'm going to give vc performance epoxy a try since this will be a trailered boat from now on. 

9F8F0BB0-1868-4D36-9F2F-4A925E96FC66.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Toeknee217 said:

I have the ability to purchase a bobs machine jack plate with 5” setback for a good price.  I know of a couple of people with 6” setback but have never seen it in person. Wonder if that would be enough to clear. 

I ran a 6" on my 1998 18 RF for years.  I also ran a standard seastar ram.  

Mounted up the standard Seastar cylinder onto the old Merc and to my surprise I was able to tilt the engine enough to put the tilt bracket without hitting but it is close. If the boat doesn't like where the engine is mounted and I have to drop another hole I will definitely need a jackplate. 

622803F7-9621-458A-8CE7-F50872092464.jpeg

CB560E50-5EBE-4EE9-996B-9C669B8D1577.jpeg