1990 Redfisher budget build

Toeknee217

Hi guys, not new to boating but this is my first mbg made boat. I always wanted one of these lappy hulls since I bought my first flats skiff so I jumped on this opportunity when I saw this 1990 Redfisher 18 come up for sale. It was hull only with a ton of cut wires and a trailer that was falling apart. This boat had been sitting for MANY years considering the condition of the inside of the fuel tank and the battery being from 2008. I have owned the boat for about 7 months already so I am a bit ahead on the redo. I am open and would appreciate any insight or recommendations as you guys see fit. 

4FEFEDB9-DC48-479D-BFDA-C699A11AC57A.jpeg

54BF92B5-734C-435B-82FC-BF7863952A57.jpeg

4FEA3E5C-C1DB-43DC-8576-D5D7432AD870.jpeg

D168E731-0D41-4BB5-A729-BCE660CE6A64.jpeg

FF4EB168-8949-4486-BD44-2496152B8559.jpeg

4EFA4991-838A-4B16-A65B-E634F91402AC.jpeg

63331A7D-B349-4358-9890-7D039FC453D5.jpeg

7BDBB849-3530-4C4F-9336-DB80A7D6C91C.jpeg

A4BCF611-E68B-47D1-99E9-1095815CBC84.jpeg

I used the play ground to allow me to lift the hull and replace the rear trailer crossmember and put new bunks and mounting hardware. The trailer originally was so rusted that the bunk brackets had broken and the hull was sitting straight on the crossmember, which was also almost rusted through. I believe it can be seen in one of the above photos. 

Above is an old carbed 2.5l I purchased locally for the boat. After this purchase, I turned to the 30 year old tank. Although it was not leaking, the tank had an incredible amount of what looks like decaying dirt/leaves and crystallized gas so I bit the bullet and decided to replace for peace of mind. I saw some threads on here of tank replacement on similar models and got inspired. 

I removed the screws holding the cap to hull, used a knife to remove the old 5200 and slowly began to lift around until the cap finally gave and popped off. If you look towards the back by the bulkhead you'll see that it was tabbed with glass. By taking turns lifting on both ends we were able to pop it off without even breaking the glass. 

The tank was just sitting inside this fiberglass enclosure and lifted right out. The fiberglass enclosure was just glued down and lifted off with not much effort. Its incredible this method held this 30 gallon tank in place after all these years. I got to look really good at the original tank and surprisingly the pitting wasn't that bad externally  however, it seems from all the years of sitting with fuel/water/debris that it was rusting inside out.  The fuel vent hose was completely clogged and both the pickup and fill were in similar condition. 

This is how the boat is sitting currently. I am in the process of getting quotes from tank manufacturers and also waiting for a spot to open to get the bottom paint removed. Popping the front cap also allowed me to view the stringers and address the clog in the front compartment. The stringers still look great but this drain comes down to a 90 degree bend and is just a small diameter pvc pipe that drains to bilge. Im going to keep trying to fish some wire through to unclog and Im still debating how I'm going to tackle repainting this compartment. Id appreciate any recommendations.

By the looks of the landscape I would say you're somewhere is South Florida, Call A.I.M. welding in Ft. Lauderdale or contact The Outlaw here on this site who works for them, quality work, great prices, great people! Gas tanks are just one of many master pieces that come out of their shop!

Good luck with the build and please ask questions or visit the Vintage Hewes section to do some research. Off the top off my head I would say install some drainage holes in that fiberglass gas tank housing, it held some water! I understand they were probably required to have a second area of containment in the event of a leak but which is worse the sickness or the cure?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the recommendation and good call on the landscape as I am in Miami. Just missed the opportunity to give  AIM a call as I had dropped off the tank about two hours before your reply. Decided to go with Welding World Inc. here out of Miami. I will share my experience and post photos of the finished tank as it is a week out. It will be epoxy coated and I don't really plan on reusing the fiberglass housing for that same reason as Id like to lift tank off floor a bit using some sort of spacers(rubber?) and bolting it down but that is to be decided. 

Toeknee217, keep us posted on everything, I am in Miami as well, Kendall. Definitely ask on the forum if you need information. Two spots I will tell you for parts...............El Captain on US-1 in Pinecrest is great, they can get you anything you need at a very reasonable price, they have a catalog and beat Bass Pro and WM. Also for your wiring B&R Electronics by the falls. Janet carries just about everything you need as far as wiring & terminals and heat shrink.

Good Luck! 

Thats funny I am in the same area and am well versed in both of those locations. Actually have the El Capitan catalog in my trunk at all times to price match at WM since my father and I refit our classic contender. I appreciate the insight that this community has given me and hope to provide some in return. 

Grab a hose clamp with a 1/4" nut head and clamp it to the hose and drop down the fitting size on the other end of the hose to where it will fit it in a drill. Make sure all fittings are tight and start the the drill and pull either direction at your leisure, its only foam. The nut head will open the hole enough for any future hoses to pass.

I was able to get the new fuel line pulled through today and I passed by the marine store mentioned above and picked up a new vent, vent line and fill hose. Going to spend some time sanding the compartment to remove the old paint so I can redo it. Thinking of going with Interlux Bilgekote. 

On 4/25/2020 at 5:56 PM, Toeknee217 said:

I was able to get the new fuel line pulled through today and I passed by the marine store mentioned above and picked up a new vent, vent line and fill hose. Going to spend some time sanding the compartment to remove the old paint so I can redo it. Thinking of going with Interlux Bilgekote. 

Bilgekote is good tough stuff for a one part paint.  It's incredibly chemical-smelly, though,and emits that smell for a long time.  I did the interior cabin of a sailboat (J22) with it once and regretted it for a while. Shouldn't be a problem in that compartment, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 6:51 AM, JakeK said:

Bilgekote is good tough stuff for a one part paint.  It's incredibly chemical-smelly, though,and emits that smell for a long time.  I did the interior cabin of a sailboat (J22) with it once and regretted it for a while. Shouldn't be a problem in that compartment, though.

I put in the first coat yesterday and I agree its pretty strong smelling stuff. Seems to do a pretty good job as far as coverage goes but only time will tell how it will hold up. 

Finally got a chance to pick up the tank. They seem to have done a pretty good job as far as dimensions and placements go. Seems whoever applied the tar guard was in a hurry and missed a couple spots but I guess its no big deal. Aiming to have it installed before the weekend if weather permits.