Nizpro Tune and Longevity

Zlenart

I was wondering if anyone could give some insight to how the Nizpro tune may affect longevity on a 200 SHO? I searched through all the threads on these tunes yesterday and there is a ton of good info, but longevity of the engine is only lightly addressed. I'm asking because I am looking at a used HPS that has a tune supposedly to 250hp and I don't want the engine to blow 6 months after I shell out a ton of money for a boat. 

If this specific topic was already addressed in another thread and I missed it, I apologize!

BradM will probably chime in and can add a lot more insight as he has talked at length with the owner of Nizpro. 

This is how I see it.  All 4.2L Yamaha 4 strokes are the same exact powerhead.  There is ZERO difference between a 200, 225, 250 and 300 powerhead.  The only difference is ECM mapping.  So I can't see how a 200 mapped to make 250hp will have any shorter life than any other 4.2L Yamaha. 

• Like 1

I have some experience with a flashed 200 SHO. I am sure you have read that the large block SHO engines are the same exact engines. There is not much to add to that portion of the conversation. All of the people that flash the ECM's for these motors seem to prefer to do a max tune. That is to say none of them could really say they had a tune for exactly 250 horses. The one thing that seemed to be optional was leaving the rev limiter to factory setting. Again most felt the motor comes alive at 6000 rpm so they all like to raise the limiter. I would ask the seller if he had the unit flashed. who flashed it and if he knows where the limiter is set. 

All of the companies report no failures linked to flashing a motor. I am of the opinion that if the higher horse power motors are physically the same engine you will not reduce the life of the motor by flashing the ECM. I would not be a fan of running the motor at 6500 rpm all the time either.

we have a forum member who has not posted in a while (thanks to some arrogant drifters who talk a lot of crap about peoples boats) who blew up a 250 SHO. It was a non flashed motor and under warranty. Im told the first question asked of him was, has the motor been flashed. so any motor, I suppose, can let go. 

The other thing to consider is the ECM can be reloaded with the factory settings. I know of one company that will flash back to factory settings for free if they did the flash to higher horse power. I do not think you would want a HPS with a factory 200 SHO, Especially if you test run the boat with the flashed motor first. if you take it back to 200, you would be on a prop hunt because likely it would not turn the current prop up to RPM. 

• Like 1

First thing I would do is connect a computer to it. (YDS) Will show Over rev, Over Heat etc.......a lot of info there. If there is a problem thats where you might see it. An ECU flash is not a problem. Do not think I have ever seen an HPS with a 200 hp. most have 250 hp anyway, Simon Motorsports and Nizpro are flashing to 325 hp. A 250 hp flash is just a stock 250 hp ECU.

I  have a flashed 200 hp sho. What a difference it made. Like a whole different boat. There are no longevity problems. Prop it right and take care of it. It will last longer than you want it to. Nizpro is taking these stock power heads to over 400hp with their super charger kit. No failures and as Lap it up disclosed, the factory power heads are identical up to 300 hp.

Now if you flash your 200, 225, 250 or whatever and do not prop it correctly and run the hake out of it with the prop out of the water it might not last as long as you would like. 

I know of a dive boat that has a pair of 250s. they have over 5000 hours. still run good.  These 4.2 liters are well engineered. 

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said or mentioned here, contrary to Lap It Up's confidence in me. 😉

With that being said and like MuddyBottomBluz mentioned, with Nizpro, there are no known failures due to flashing the ECU. They have had ZERO Yamaha items fail with their 450 h.p. super charger kit on the 4.2 liters, only a bearing issues on the charger housing which has been addressed. Simon (the owner of Nizpro, not Simon Motorsports) has posted here; you probably read his response in the Nizpro thread started a year or so ago. He has run the snot out of the 4.2 on the dyno and in all sorts of configurations. It's an impressive engine to say the least. If it were me and from what I have read, I would flash it in a second! The torque alone is insane, let alone the additional H.P. 

As HoneyB mentioned, a great contributor and member here (no longer frequents the site)  had his SHO blow up within 5 minutes of getting on the water right after he picked it up from being serviced by the dealer. The dealer did ask if he was flashed, but other then being rev'd beyond the stock rev limiter, they can't see what kind of power it's making or the mapping in the ECU. As mentioned, how it's been run is more important than how much power is making; at these low levels anyhow. 

Good luck on your potential purchase, the 23 HPS is a great fishing platform! 

I used Simon Motorsports ... sharing props and information with BradM I do not think either tune is better or worse.. i will say flashing a 200 is much more impressive than flashing a 250. I did put my ecm on a friends 23 foot key west Bay Reef. He decided pretty quickly he did not need to flash his motor. The gains were pretty minimal. And we had some pretty nice props to test his sled. 

• Like 3

I have a Simon flash now. One day when I get board I may send my factory ECU to Fort Myers and have it Nizpro'ed. I do not think there will be much of a difference, but  thinking is Nizpro has done a ton of dyno time and may have an advantage. If my boat gets any faster I my have to wear a helmet. 

With my long tube 3 blade 60 is pretty easy. Best I have seen is 61.8 @ 6000 rpm. This prop has so much stern lift that the port rear seat popped up and turned the boat. Had I been in buttonwood canal it would have been interesting. I now have hidden pin latches holding the rear seats down.  

I am really not looking for a speed boat, been there done that, but going fast is still fun. I "really" love the numbers I am seeing. I am going 10 mph faster @ the same fuel burn.                           I have a Bravo 1 FS for it now. Have not run it yet. I will see how it does.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:42 PM, HoneyB said:

Your going to love the Bravo 1FS. I had a 22 pitch and changed it out for a 23 pitch. I figured you were 60 plus. I am running  over 60 mph with a large t top.

Got the Boat out today for a little testing and general run it because it has been to long coped up. You are 100 percent right, I love the Bravo 1 FS. It is not about the speed, ( though I love that to) this prop never blows out. We were doing tight turns at 40 mph no problem, hole shot is a boat length. The boat jumps on plane with the jack plate full up ( that was an accident) and even with the jack plate  half down and trim half up. We tried to get it to blowout and could not. It will run just under 20 mph and stay on plane. Yep this is a great prop. 

20200425_194435.jpg

• 1 year later...

Any prop recommendations for a Nizpro flashed 225 SHO. It’s running on a 23ft tritoon w/lifting strakes before it was flashed we were at 6100 to 6200 rpm with a 15T/15.75 , 3-blade stainless prop. WOT with 6 on board and a full tank we were getting between 37 to 40 mph.  We are testing it this weekend with the current prop not sure what it will do yet. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was trying to wrap my head around how much drag there must be on toons. 225 horses on a 23 foot boat spinning a 15 pitch prop? If I had to venture a guess  I would have said go with a three blade large diameter 17 pitch.  But then again my senses say surly  you can spin a 19 pitch with a flashed SHO.