Need Advice Before Buying 1994 Mirage

Brian Mello

Morning Gents,

I am headed for a drive this week to look at a 1994 Maverick Mirage that appears to be in overall great condition for its age. Very minor dings or scratches and doesn't appear to have any spiderwebs in the fiberglass (from the pictures). Offset console too! Its repowered with a Suzuki 90 4 stroke as well with approximately 500 hours. No gps, no trolling motor, just bare essentials of a Maverick Hull and repower.

I wanted to get some advice on what to look for in depth to prevent major problems in the future. The gas tank is aluminum and has given to issues from what I learned. 
Other than the obvious cosmetic flaws with these older hulls, what should I be looking for to ensure this is a good purchase. Has anyone every seen ‘94 Mirages with major malfunctions. No stringer issues like the pathfinder T's or anything like that.

I’ve done enough research to understand theres minimal difference between these older models and the newer ones. But at a competitive price around 9-12K it far outweighs the options of 30k used HPXs for me.

Any advice helps, I owned and rode a few Mavericks, but none this old.

Appreciate the help boys,

Mello

tank will be biggest concern if its original . if it is figure on replacement. Also note you'll have to cut tank up in hatch or cut hatch out to remove . Both are a bit of work. rewire should be obvious . ditch the suz 90 4strk  -bad match for this hull. 9-12k is high imo unless pristine. Now for the positive- hands down the best boat ive owned was a 94 mav mirage 90 stroke.ive been through countless hewes pathys and mav's and still look back at that one as as" the one that got away "- see my 17hpxv remodel thread , rehabbing a skiff to your tastes can get lengthy! good luck !