2001 17 HPX-V Repower

Whodat

Looking to repower my 2001 17 HPX V with a 90 hp Yamaha 4 stroke.  I have the 90 hp Yamaha 2 stroke now.  Does any one know if I would have to modify the poling platform due to the new motor being taller.  Has anyone done this change?  Did it perform better, worse or the same?

CIMG1018.JPG

I just redid my same year hull. (you can see it under 17 Hpxv remodel )I had to completely rebuild platform for 115 vs 90 2stroke . Steering was limited and definitely height. As far as performance goes to 92 stroke still outperforms the new 115 SHO on holeshot but im still in prop testing phase . My topend is way better . 52 heavily loaded in poor weather 

• 7 months later...

I'm still trying to decide what engine to get for a repower 17 HPX-17 (2001).  My 90 2-stroke is shot.  Has anyone gone from the 90 2S to the F70?  I see the bulletins, but my 90 2S never matched the bulletin (only got max 40-41 mph vs. 47 ish).  The 115 is definitely off the list.  If F90 means modifying or replacing the poling platform, than that might be another reason to go to the F70.  Will I really get 40-41 mph out of the F70 like the bulletin says?  If so, that would match what my old 90 2S did and I guess I can live with that.

• Like 1

I can't say about platform clearance but the performance of my Yamaha F-70 on a 2001 HPXV is nowhere near the claims on the performance bulletin. Light loaded, I can get 35 MPH at 6000 RPM. NEMA 2000 fuel burn at that power setting is 5.7 MPG. Normal cruise for me is 5000 RPM, 30 MPH, 7.0 MPG.

• 3 weeks later...