92 Redfisher Steering

fishcamp

I am installing a new Suzuki 115 on my 1992 Redfisher. The splash well is narrower than Sea Star specs. I am afraid the steering will hit the sides of the splash well when tilted. The original motor was mounted about four inches above the transom on a fixed jack plate. I'm guessing that was done to give the cylinder clearance. Any advice about what to do? Maybe go with a 25 inch lower unit to make up for raising the motor on the jack plate.

It is an 18 foot. I bought it with a bad engine that did  not run. I have not had it in the water. Right now I'm replacing all wiring, engine, gas tank, and all plumbing. Looks like the  jack plate was installed with the original engine to make room for the steering.

I don't know how much farther you have gotten with this build but I am literally doing the same job right now with my 1990. I have an ongoing thread started on here for the tank replacement. Do NOT buy the new engine with a 25'' shaft, it is meant for a 20". I also have not run my boat yet. I bought an outboard already but I haven't installed nor have I bought a steering system. Have you looked into a baystar system? 

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, Lap it Up said:

I had a 1998 RF 18.  It had a 130 Yamaha 20" with SeaStar Steering.  I ran a 6" hydraulic jackplate in order to clear the splashwell.  I do not recommend a 25" engine on a Redfisher.     

How did the boat perform with the motor up that high?

• 4 months later...

I'm just about finished with my 92  redfisher 18. New fuel tank, wiring, plumbing, tabs, jack plate, electronics, hinges, paint, and rub rail. Waiting on a Suzuki 115 to arrive. As mentioned earlier the old motor was mounted about 4 inches above the transom so the steering cyl. cleared the too narrow splash well. Towed the boat to the dealer today and discovered that a 25 inch lower unit put the prop about an inch too low at the lowest jack plate height. It can be raised a little for perfect running height and still has 5 inches more height adjustment for clearance when motor is tilted forward.