Tourniquets on boats?

localangler

I was reading another post and didn't want to derail it so I thought I'd start a new one. Who currently carries one on their boat? I know the old thought process on them was last resort and you'll lose the arm blah blah blah. But we've learned a lot by being at war for over a decade now (no politics just used for emphasis). I've been in public safety for over two decades now and have been fortunate enough to get training by some well respected physicians and know the attitude had changed. One doctor had his arm in a tourniquet for several hours for a surgery with no I'll effects. The key that gets pounded into our thick skulls was once it is on it only comes off or is loosened in the ER, ideally if it is still bleeding add another above it and don't touch the first one. I know we can "rig" one up if need be but that is time and time is an enemy on a arterial bleeder. I can tell you I carry two on my person when at work and can access both with either hand.

So besides the basics, I also carry bolt cutters that will cut any hook on my boat, what else do y'all have in your bag that others might have overlooked? Hmm, speaking of overlooked I need to check the battery on my PLB. 

Thoughts on quick clot? I'm thinking of adding that in with the gauze this year. Also if anyone has any links to deals on a good bag to put this in, Velcro, no zippers. Otherwise I might just get a red dry bag. 

Edited to add thoughts on quick clot?

Don't get hurt is the best advice and there are tons of things to help prevent that.

The reality is you can never have enough stuff. Take the basics and know how to use them. Basic first aid training is great but few have that for the most part.

When things get bad do the best that you can but the average boater is not trained to do much more.

For bags, put your special stuff in a vacuum bag and seal it. Those essentials should hopefully never need to be opened.

The minor stuff can be put in a zip lock. The basic boaters first aid kits come in a pouch and I zip lock that.

Most important unless your a EMT have a way to get trained help asap. You need good communication capability first and for most. Those requirements will vary to your location.

I have more stuff than necessary, even something as simple as earplugs up to tourniquets and sucking chest wound dressing. I also have my CPR mask for mouth to mouth. although technically breaths are no longer required. 

About a year ago I was doing a drive by fish & hit on Old Cutler Road in Miami, I got too a Kayak launch ramp and a guy was bleeding pretty bad after fallen off the dock on his leg, they asked me for a bandage? I supplied antiseptic cream, bandage pads and a wrap, they were impressed! Maybe it's the Guardsman in me, Semper Paratus! 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:12 PM, Capt. Troy said:

Don't get hurt is the best advice and there are tons of things to help prevent that...

For bags, put your special stuff in a vacuum bag and seal it. Those essentials should hopefully never need to be opened.

^^^This here is the key^^^
Here’s what I carry every time the boat is in the water, food and shelter in one vacuum bag and first aid in the other bag. The Hyper Tough bag is a $20 tool kit from Amazon. 
1E567AC3-B28A-4B20-8A5C-C4430495E6E6.thumb.jpeg.865a59c34f1fd3762110374ac3b66e19.jpeg

I carried a few Kytostat Bandages in my kit when I was fishing offshore as there are toothy critters that can do damage. Only used once when a kingfish got loose and nailed my wrist. After cleaning, applied it and the bleeding stopped.
I still carry one in my bay boat just be safe.
They are sold as Hem Con Strip or other manufacturers.