Difference between saltwater and freshwater trolling motors???

Shallowminded6

I own a Riptide model so I don't have any experience using a freshwater model in salt, but the info below comes directly from their website:

We designed a special line of motors for use in salt or brackish water. The Minn Kota Riptide trolling motors have a number of "saltwater-engineered" enhancements, including stainless steel hardware, sealed electrical connections and an advanced painting process for improved corrosion protection. Using any of our standard Minn Kota motors in saltwater may dramatically reduce the life of the motor and voids the manufacturer's warranty. To extend the life of your Minn Kota Riptide saltwater trolling motor, thoroughly rinse the motor with freshwater after every use in saltwater and store indoors. Never leave the motor submerged in saltwater when the boat is moored.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/can-my-freshwater-minn-kota-trolling-motor-be-used-saltwater

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 3:14 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

My ***! I believe everything else except that, I have had to redo every one of the lower unit's I've owned multiple times. Ironic though is the boat I bought has a white saltwater trolling motor and was only used in freshwater and the lower unit paint is still perfect. 

So I have a question for you.  I have never had a paint issue on my minn kotas. but it seems like everyone else I see does.   I just got a new one in November, and when I went to install it, I noticed it had two prop nuts, one that was a zinc anode and one that was not.   The non anode version was on it.   I almost completely missed it but caught it at the las minute.   

I wonder how many of these paint issues are a function of the wrong prop nut being used?

• Like 2

I have had two Motorguides, each seven years old. A great white and now a varimax. Never had problems with paint or rust. Have seen many newer MK’s with rust and paint problems. Have looked at used MK’s and everyone looks like they been rode hard and put away wet. Not downing MK at all, will be my next Tm due to local repair shop. 😀🙏 fin

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

I have had two Motorguides, each seven years old. A great white and now a varimax. Never had problems with paint or rust. Have seen many newer MK’s with rust and paint problems. Have looked at used MK’s and everyone looks like they been rode hard and put away wet. Not downing MK at all, will be my next Tm due to local repair shop. 😀🙏 fin

I saw some people are Line-x ing their trolling motors to keep them nice. I wonder the same as Whichway with the anode. 

31 minutes ago, DonV said:

Reminds me of the old days when OMC had their saltwater engines white and Freshwater blue. I asked the dealer what was the difference in the SW versus FW, he said which paint shop it went to.

I was a Johnson fan back in the day before Yamaha came around.  Always assumed Johnson (white) and Evinrude (blue) were the same, but asked an Evinrude dealer if there was a difference.  His answer was - "OMC does a test startup of the motors when they come off the assembly line.  If they crank right up, they paint 'em blue.  If they're hard to start, they paint 'em white"  LOL

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 4:00 PM, redzone1 said:

This is a good question that I have wondered myself. with all the grey color schemes and black powder coating going on boats these days a black trolling motor would look sharp.

Rhodan TMs are made for salt water, coated with Line-X, and come in Black or White.

• Like 2

I can personally say the steering components on a minn kota terrova are different between the fresh and salt water motors. After about a year of saltwater use the freshwater ones can have the steering stick a bit. 

I have a freshwater ulterra on my boat and expect a year or so out of it. My boat is all black so it matches well, and I added a saltwater anode on the prop to offset corrosion as much as possible

• 1 year later...