Yamaha 150 not starting every time key is turned

Squanto10

Hey yall, this last weekend I took the hewes out to Everglades City for some red fishing with the wife. After we backed the boat in I went to start the engine and there was no start. You could hear a click, almost like the starter was deploying to the flywheel but there wasn’t enough juice to spin it. Weird thing is after repeating turning the key on and off several times it would start and run fine. We went fishing all day and when it was time to start heading back it did it again. Mind you we ran and powered off multiple times with no issues.  Also, I made sure the throttle was in neutral as I though maybe they could be the issue, so I’d put it into drive and then back to neutral. What do you think it could be? Starter going bad, starter relay? I’m no mechanic.  I can’t take the chance any longer of it not starting when doing 30+ miles runs and often not seeing another boat all day(especially with the wife). Thanks for any and all input!

8 hours ago, Squanto10 said:

Hey yall, this last weekend I took the hewes out to Everglades City for some red fishing with the wife. After we backed the boat in I went to start the engine and there was no start. You could hear a click, almost like the starter was deploying to the flywheel but there wasn’t enough juice to spin it. Weird thing is after repeating turning the key on and off several times it would start and run fine. We went fishing all day and when it was time to start heading back it did it again. Mind you we ran and powered off multiple times with no issues.  Also, I made sure the throttle was in neutral as I though maybe they could be the issue, so I’d put it into drive and then back to neutral. What do you think it could be? Starter going bad, starter relay? I’m no mechanic.  I can’t take the chance any longer of it not starting when doing 30+ miles runs and often not seeing another boat all day(especially with the wife). Thanks for any and all input!

Check the ground and pos connections to the engine....follow all the wires...

The click is usually a sure sign of this....

1.) check to be sure your battery cables are very tight - not just snug, but, tight.

2.) Check your bolts on the 1/2/off switch that they are "tight" as well

3.) Check your engine connections, again, these should be very snug, don't over torque or you have a bigger problem.

4.) If this doesn't fix it.....there are some good mechanics who will chime in here......you should be able to re-create starting by just running it on the muffs.

BTW, you didn't say which year skiff?  Engine, etc. 2 stroke/4 stroke, etc.

dc

As Wanna says...Im going w electrical based on the limited info. My experience with starters on 2 strokes is that when it is going out it works one last time and never again. I would check your volts at engine on start up first. The starters are easy to trouble shoot. Just sent this to a buddy last week if it helps.  

896ADE48-24E9-4E01-9795-D909A0CC1D08.jpeg

I'm also betting it's an electrical issue, most likely wiring or connection. When you have a bad electrical connection and make repeated attempts to start the motor, or use an appliance, the wiring starts to heat up. As the wiring heats up, it expands (both wire and connectors). Eventually, the wiring or connector expands to the point that it makes a good connection and the motor starts.

My 2009 F150 did the same thing last fall. Very aggravating and hard to diagnose....I checked all the wires and grounds, etc and  I asked around and decided it could be the starter or the starter relay.  I bought a relay first because it was like $ 50 at Crowley Marine on line , my thinking was if that didn’t fix it...I would next buy a starter ( which is expensive ) ..... however, I changed out the relay ( which was very easy to do ) and problem solved. I have had zero issues since I replaced the relay. 

• Like 1