2400 TRS Bilge Pump questions

Bruce J

The bilge pump on my 2016 2400 is not coming on automatically via the float switch.  It’s also wired incorrectly, I believe, so that the battery switch has to be on for the bilge pump to work.  But the main issue is that the pump is so deep in the bilge and the hatch is so small that I don’t know how to reach it.  What’s the trick to servicing these things?

If its factory wired Id be shocked if the wiring is incorrect.   To turn it on at will via the dash switch that I believe would need batt switch on, the float would not.... theres a test lever / knob on the pump housing to test the float feature.  Cant help on how to get to it

Put the plug in boat, and turn the hose on in the bilge....after the pump get submerged or the water gets to the float switch lever, it should turn on. You should not need the battery power on for this test.  Sometimes it takes the pump a few seconds to come on once it’s covered with water.... or at least mine does.  I test mine a few times a year like this. 

If you have the same pump as mine the switch is internal and the pump detaches from the base. I use a pole with a flat screw driver on the ends to release the clips on either side to detach the pump from the base so I can grab it by the discharge hose and clean the base, the intake screen and float switch. Crap gets in the base and causes the float switch to stick. Mine also has a manual knob to manually move the switch but it is very hard to reach. Mine looks something like this, but a lot of these pumps detach from the base for cleaning.

bilgepump.jpg

Although there is nothing funny about reaching the bilge pump when I had to reattach mine to the mounting bracket Last week it went like this

1.  Lay on stomach

2.  Reach as far as humanely possible into hull w one arm

3.  Reach farther

4.  Pray you can get what you need to get one handed and blind

5.  Repeat several times until your prayers are answered....

lots of threads about cutting a larger square hatch and replacing the small pie hole.  Now I know exactly they do it....😎😎

hutch

Thanks for all the replies.  I have tested the pump by putting a hose in the bilge and filling it till it submerged the pump almost completely.  I did it first with the battery switch off to see if it would kick on.  It did not.  Then I turned on the battery switch to see if that kicked it on, and it still didn't.  So the float switch is definitely not working, but it didn't resolve whether my pump is wired correctly.  However, the reason I thought it wasn't wired correctly is that I could only turn the bilge on manually with the switch on the dash when the battery switch was on.  But Basmakeet, your response is very helpful because I didn't know the dash switch is wired through the battery switch, but the float switch is wired directly to the battery.

JH and Hutch, thanks for the ideas on how to reach it.  I'll get a screw driver lashed to a pole and do some arm stretching exercises or see if Manute Bol is available for a quick job.  I love my Pathfinder, but have to wonder why something so critical as bilge pump maintenance and access hasn't received more attention and a more practical solution as has been applied to so many other aspects of this boat.

20 hours ago, Bruce J said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I have tested the pump by putting a hose in the bilge and filling it till it submerged the pump almost completely.  I did it first with the battery switch off to see if it would kick on.  It did not.  Then I turned on the battery switch to see if that kicked it on, and it still didn't.  So the float switch is definitely not working, but it didn't resolve whether my pump is wired correctly.  However, the reason I thought it wasn't wired correctly is that I could only turn the bilge on manually with the switch on the dash when the battery switch was on.  But Basmakeet, your response is very helpful because I didn't know the dash switch is wired through the battery switch, but the float switch is wired directly to the battery.

JH and Hutch, thanks for the ideas on how to reach it.  I'll get a screw driver lashed to a pole and do some arm stretching exercises or see if Manute Bol is available for a quick job.  I love my Pathfinder, but have to wonder why something so critical as bilge pump maintenance and access hasn't received more attention and a more practical solution as has been applied to so many other aspects of this boat.

I suggest you find and check the fuse or circuit breaker to the float switch before you do any arm stretching exercises.  Once you confirm you have power to the float switch, then unclip the pump and manual move the float to see if the pump kicks on.

• Like 1