Redfish

SCFD rtrd.

Just got back from a two week fishing trip to Englewood. The wife and I figured that fishing was the best way to stay away from crowds, not that we need an excuse to fish. Anyway, we had a blast catching Redfish and small Snook. The white bait wasn't so plentiful inshore, so we went out to the Gulf and found large schools of Threadfins in about 10 ft. of water. Anchored, wife dropped chum, waited until the fish finder blacked out with bait, threw the net. One cast usually produced about 50 to 75 nice bait. The Redfish and Snook couldn't resist a big Threadfin hooked in the tail.

We couldn't find a Redfish in Englewood for about a year after the Red Tide. But, some how they came back. I think the lucky or smart ones went way back into the creeks or off shore to escape the Red Tide. Anyway, it was exiting to see them back in the regular holes. Where are you fishing that you can't find any Reds?

I was cruising along the grass flats (using trolling motor), just north of the Phosphate docks and slid right up on a Tarpon. I don't Tarpon fish, so can't guess at the weight, but he was about 5 ft. long. He wasn't in any big hurry to escape. I followed him for about 2 or 3 minutes.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Just got back from a two week fishing trip to Englewood. The wife and I figured that fishing was the best way to stay away from crowds, not that we need an excuse to fish. Anyway, we had a blast catching Redfish and small Snook. The white bait wasn't so plentiful inshore, so we went out to the Gulf and found large schools of Threadfins in about 10 ft. of water. Anchored, wife dropped chum, waited until the fish finder blacked out with bait, threw the net. One cast usually produced about 50 to 75 nice bait. The Redfish and Snook couldn't resist a big Threadfin hooked in the tail.

Without pics....it's only a fishtail :)

Nice...I need to get out but Choko I hear is a zoo. :(

dc

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

20200625_145116.thumb.jpg.db455b4fad91065783d1b644213fd84c.jpg It's been so hot lately.  Couldn't  do it without the  Shade Blade. Been catching lots of nice Redfish, trying to post, I'll figure it out.

How much did that shade blade run you? Looks perfect for a t topless boat when on sand bar duty or extra hot days

About $2,200. It's the biggest they make (7 ft. wide x 11ft. long). Can be removed in about 10 minutes, folds down like an umbrella, stores in a carry bag. I put it on the boat in June and keep it there till Oct., then store it for the winter months. Not the best angle for a pic, looks better from sides or looking slightly down.

• Like 1