My Garmin 740s died - need replacement

RobVan

My Garmin chartplotter died. I tried troubleshooting (it is getting power to the plug) and exchanged emails with Garmin (they finally recommended replacing as they no longer support this model). I liked the unit as it had the features I needed. 

Garmin is recommending replacing with a 742xs plus. I thought I would reach out to the wisdom of the forum about a replacement. My current 740s is flush mounted in my console so would be preferable to have another unit with the same or very close dimensions. I am using a separate GPS antenna and have the unit connected to a NMEA  backbone. I also have a Garmin fuel transducer wired to the backbone and interfaced to the 740S display. Don't really need a high end depthfinder as most of my time is spent in very shallow water (and mostly grass or mud bottom). I would like reuse my existing transducer if possible just save the hassle of running a new cable.

Whatchyall think? Buy the 742? And where to buy - seems like the price is around $1100 everywhere.

Garmin_740s_back.jpg

Garmin_740s_front.jpg

I left Garmin a few years ago when I constantly found myself up on the shore line when I was fishing the 10k's.

I went Simrad 9" EVO2; however, the newer one are really pricey - EVO3.  The other option, which I have run and like are the new Lowrance plotters with the fast chips...easy to use and very accurate.

dc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

No GPS beats-reading the water .

Been on boats with the Rads and FMT and it will keep you on the ( trail ) but it will not get you into uncharted waters , and thats where the adventure begins .

I have never ran into land , because I am looking where I am going .

Just sayin .

Save the extra 1,500 $ and go on vacation.

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 7:01 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

No GPS beats-reading the water .

Been on boats with the Rads and FMT and it will keep you on the ( trail ) but it will not get you into uncharted waters , and thats where the adventure begins .

I have never ran into land , because I am looking where I am going .

Just sayin .

Save the extra 1,500 $ and go on vacation.

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

It will get you into plenty of uncharted waters.  That is exactly what it does.  It charts a plethora of uncharted waters so they are fully charted as well as corrects the thousands of errors and missing features that are are already "charted" incorrectly by the general reference products.  This will allow you to also not run into land at night when you can't see where you are going.  

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 7:49 AM, YankeeRedfisher said:

I have a 740s still in the box.I had to buy a second one just to get the transducer that I broke. Unit has never even been fired up

I am very interested. Is this still available?  
how much are u asking ? 
If yes please text me @ 228-216-6076. My name is Bert   Thanks 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Ralph is truly correct about reading the waters but where we all fish for the most part a gps is needed, backcountry, glades and uncharted waters. Offshore to wreaks pinpoint spots, water temp and such. What scares the hell out of me are boaters who can’t read charts or use the required tool to chart with. They’re screwed if their gps dies.