Trolling motor

Marathon Man

2001 Pathfinder 2200V Minnkota Riptide 24v trolling motor

Where do the wires to/from the trolling motor switch in the console run to. Battery, trolling motor,  or ? One is  orange, one is black. Do they connect the jumper between batteries, or do they connect to the trolling motor, and if so, are they the positive or negative. Thank you.

When you say switch I would think that you are  referring to a  circuit breaker. In most installations the breaker has an orange wire that is the positive for the trolling motor.  There should be a  black  wire the same size that is the negative. The black wire goes to proper ground directly on the battery the circuit breaker is connected to the proper positive lead on the battery.

It is a rotary switch mounted inside the console. It has an orange cable and a black cable attached to it.

My question is this. Does this switch connect the jumper wire between batteries to get 24v, or, does it connect one lead to the trolling motor.

It is not a breaker, it's a rotary switch.

Does anyone have a similar year that is wired with this switch?

i have a perko switch AND a breaker between my 36V set up and the battery. the switch only disconnects the hot wire. the breaker is in line just ahead of the perko switch on the hot wire. the grnd wire runs from batteries to trolling motor. i'm hard wired to motor because i've had so much trouble with plugs, i just eliminated them.

I doubt that switch is OEM so its probably unique to how your boat wis rigged but the previous owner. In all likelihood the orange is a run to the troller but should be easy enough to check continuity on and if your batteries are in console you could visually check the jumper that ties them together. No likely there would be a switch on that jumper either. 

8 hours ago, Marathon Man said:

It is a rotary switch mounted inside the console. It has an orange cable and a black cable attached to it.

My question is this. Does this switch connect the jumper wire between batteries to get 24v, or, does it connect one lead to the trolling motor.

It is not a breaker, it's a rotary switch.

Does anyone have a similar year that is wired with this switch?

Most setups do not use a rotary switch for the trolling motor circuit. Most use a 50 amp breaker with a easy push disconnect and reconnect. Most Pathfinders I have seen use 6 or 8 gauge Orange (positive) and Black (negative) wire that goes from the trolling motor bank (one, two or three batteries) to the bow trolling motor plug. The Orange wire is interrupted only by the 50 amp easy disconnect breaker. I see no reason for the trolling motor circuit to have a battery switch even if one of the trolling motor batteries is also a back up house battery. I think you might want to have someone that is in the know look at what you have. 

Are you having a problem with what you have?

3 hours ago, jh141 said:

I think you might want to have someone that is in the know look at what you have. 

@OP

24V wiring can be very dangerous.....you can burn up "stuff" very quickly....if wiring is incorrectly put in place

If you can take very detailed pictures of your set up and post them, forum members can provide guidance....it sounds like you have a 1/2/all switch that is running off the trolling motor batteries (very common and what i use).

What JH is spot on.....trace all the wiring and post pics....

dc

Okay guys, my boat has a perko 1/2/all/ off switch by the main cranking battery in the starboard transom hatch.

The switch I am talking about is a single pole single throw rotary switch mounted inside the console.

I'm trying to find out how it was originally wired. Because the trolling motor is a tiller control Minn Kota and it is direct wired, (no plug), I believe the switch was installed, either by Pathfinder or a previous owner, to shut off the power to the trolling motor for safety and to protect the circuitry while charging.

Just wondered if anyone had a 2001 or similar that might be wired in the same manner.

I believe it could have been wired into the jumper  or into the positive cable running to the trolling motor, with the same result, which is safety as mentioned above.

Mine is a March of 2012 and they were still using a single switch in the starboard bilge for engine and a 50 amp breaker in the glove box for the trolling motor. I like the setup in your picture. Wish mine was that setup. Much cleaner. Love that MBC is always looking for a better way. They also now do the side door on the console with duel switches. If I ever need to rewire thats the setup we will use.

This is what my 2012 22 TRS  has. Inshore Marine did the Trolling motor install thru the dealer. That was the option when I ordered the boat. breaker.jpg.7f53928f294e5351684df6db805cf32e.jpg

Clean and easy. Minimize the connections. Negitive goes directly from the 36 volt bank (in a custom built star board box in the console) to the trolling motor plug at the bow. The Positive ( orange ) goes from the 36 volt bank to this breaker in the glove box and then to the bow trolling motor plug. When you push the red button on the breaker the yellow lever drops down and disconnects the circuit. Push the yellow lever back up and the circuit reconnects. If there is a short in the circuit the breaker opens and the yellow lever comes down to indicate there is a problem.    Hope this helps someone!

24 minutes ago, NCTribute said:

Not saying it looks like that, just saying they have been using two rotary switches for a long time. My 2015 2200 TE does not look like that, but it has two rotary switches and my 2009 Cobia did to.

My 2013 2200 TRS has one rotary switch. I think, needless to say, there are many variations out there.