2004 150 VMAX 2 stroke overheating

gamecock2009

I've read through a lot of forums and it seems I may have a bad/dirty poppit valve but hear me out. In the past few months my overheat alarm comes on ONLY when I am just putting around and idling and never when I am running. It will stay on for about 5 minutes then eventually go away and then I am good for a while; piss stream is still strong, and oil levels are good. Im planning on replacing the poppit valve and impellar next weekend and see how it goes from there. Anyone have any other suggestions while I have the engine opened up. 

Change the entire pump kit (including housing and SS cup).  While your in there inspect the driveshaft and prop shaft seals.  Check your poppet hose and poppet housing before ordering parts.  A lot of times the housing corrodes and swells and the hose is hard and brittle.  I have had to replace quite a few.  If you haven't done thermostats in a while, this is a good time to replace both.  You can test them in boiling water with a gauge if you want or just replace with OEM new for reassurance.    

• Like 1

Which action you take depends on when cooling system components were inspected last. 

Typically a low speed overheat is not caused by a the poppet valve unless its stuck in the open position... its purpose is to relieve pressure in the cooling system when running at high speed, so this water is by passed out of the cooling system so if there was some weird scenario where its open at low speed you can see where it could cause an issue.  Its a simple system, just a plastic plunger and a spring so not much to go wrong.

At this point Id pull every component in the cooling system and inspect them see if anything is showing wear replace as neccessary... test the thermo stat to see if its opening within spec'd temp range. 

3 hours ago, gamecock2009 said:

I've read through a lot of forums and it seems I may have a bad/dirty poppit valve but hear me out. In the past few months my overheat alarm comes on ONLY when I am just putting around and idling and never when I am running. It will stay on for about 5 minutes then eventually go away and then I am good for a while; piss stream is still strong, and oil levels are good. Im planning on replacing the poppit valve and impellar next weekend and see how it goes from there. Anyone have any other suggestions while I have the engine opened up. 

I had a 2000 150 vmax that did the same thing. Was my water jackets. Had to pull, clean, and reinstall. I did do poppet valves and lower unit service as well. Impeller housing and all. 

• Like 2

I think a reason why you are getting different reasons across the board with this, is partially due to the low pressure water intake/telltale the V max was known for having. It makes it so if anything is partially blocked or obstructed, it causes issues that might be more obvious(as to what the problem is) in other engines with the same symptoms. Due to that I swapped my impeller annualy, Impeller housing every two years, lower unit oil every six months. I had my engine 6yrs and had to clean the water jackets 2x to keep it running cool along with poppit valve. 

• 2 weeks later...