FISHING REPORTS

Upper and Middle 10k’s.

Fished Saturday (7th of March).  I’ve never seen water so low at the Goodland ramp.  I could walk beneath the dock pilings.  Winter low  tides-full moon -honking NE winds= exceptionally low water!

I don’t have 4 wheel drive.  When it was time to launch the boat , I couldn't muster the courage to do it.  I was embarrassed a bit.... Had to watch a few boats launch.  Seemed everyone had 4wd and used it. Finally, eyeballed the distance of my rear axle with the trailer wheels...which part of the ramp had the least amount of slippery slime....After about a half hour, I developed the courage.  I launched without any issue at all.  I love my rolls tandem trailer!  Hull rests low, and launching was a snap. Never even got the tires close to that dreaded slime....

Wind was insane , at least 25-30 mph. Not to mention the 50° temps at dawn. Brutally , *** cold. Especially when you leave the nylon windbreaker at home.  It was nice to ride in a pathfinder vs my old 16’ skiff.

Fishing was surprisingly good though. 6 reds 20”-22”, 2 18” sheepshead, 24” snook,  plethora of dink snapper and of course the usually cats.  All catch and release.  Not bad for 4 hrs of fishing. 

Low tides are beautiful though.  Extra caution needed sure but you really see stuff you don’t normally see with regular tides.

Funny how with it being so cold you quickly forget those temps when catching fish...drove all the way home with the heater on. 

E42F892D-D390-4C5F-9DCB-AFB1F7AB1B7B.jpeg

7432832F-B9F6-4668-A31E-5168D67A661C.jpeg

3D6C67DB-B9FA-44CF-B08E-2609B6FC369E.jpeg

C70CAC6B-9B88-4045-B887-317C80040148.jpeg

• Like 1

Way to go frogfoot! 25-30 MPH winds can't stop a Pathfinder!

I fished Flamingo on Saturday w/ my wife. Primary purpose was testing out my new motor (200HP E-TEC) and I couldn't be happier with the performance. Full throttle gave me 5850 RPM and 51.5 mph. I even managed to catch a bunch of fish while my wife read her book and napped throughout the day. Total tally was about two dozen snook (all small), 3 reds (1 keeper invited home for dinner along with 1x 17" black drum and a few snapper) plus some jacks and ladyfish mixed in. Most of the fish were caught on a live shrimp under a cork.

• Like 1

I used to fish Flamingo many, many years ago.  '85-'96.

The 10k's are a fascinating fishery.  The area is vast and local knowledge is a must to really appreciate it.

Me and my dad would fish Flamingo inside or outside (depending on the weather & time of year).  We went just about every weekend.  Fished Flamingo in a SuperSkiff.  I miss Flamingo, I miss my dad even more.  He passed away a few days ago.😢  I really think he was with us on Saturday.  Redfish and Snapper were his favorites and its been a while I had caught so many of them.  The weather was awful.  He would have had a great time.

I would think that your Dad could be as big part of your trips to places that you two shared even if his body isn’t with you he may be looking over your shoulder saying I really like snapper and reds . If you spend time thinking about good times that you shared it will help fill the void . I also miss my father and fishing with him and miss fishing Flamingo weekly before we moved to west central Florida . Sorry for your loss frogfoot hang in there . Joe R 

Man, I am very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I lost my Dad way too soon (he was only 56) and I never got the chance to take him fishing to Flamingo. I have taken both my uncles (his brothers) so I am grateful for that. My Dad introduced me to fishing (mostly offshore) and diving and snow skiing, which are three of my favorite things to do, and I have done the same with my son (now 16). Anyway, hang in there and remember all the good times with your Dad.

• Like 1

I've never seen the water as low as it was on Saturday in the Ten Thousand Islands.  Boats at the OR Marina were in the mud.  Backcountry was fun!  Fishing was tough, but we did ok.  Dozens of smaller snook, a few lower slot-size reds, 3 jew fish, couple of snapper.  Didn't see any tarpon and surprisingly did not catch a single trout.  

56 is young got1on.  My dad passed at 81. He lived a good life I think. My mom says he did. Last few years he vacationed a lot, etc. We fished but not that often especially the last year.

Especially In a 16’ skiff. That’s part of the reason I got the 2200v. He never got to fish in it. I told him once he got better we go...Don’t want anyone to think I purposefully detailed this thread. Just brought back a lot of memories. I like the slogan take a kid fishing , but take your dad too...

Bigdave I agree, in all my time fishing have never seen water so low. A peek at Shell Key Bay (local pass through) the crab traps were hi and dry, it was surreal.  

I saw some kids in a Gheenoe launch, but I don’t know how they fared with the fish. 

Great memories....

I lived in CR from 1990-93, fished sometimes 2x's a month with a buddy who had a 43 Egg Harbor out of Puntarenas.   We would head out for 3 days and spend the night on the boat.

I have a great video I can post at some point......

Our best day was 27 sailfish on 20 lb test.  I finished 7th in the National Tourney that day, with 15 sails.  This was if I remember, back in 1992.

Great Fishery....now Guatemala seems to be "the place" for sails..I fished there about 10 years ago and got my first sail on the FLY rod - 15 weight rod.

Enjoy your time and the fishing !!!     It's a trip of a lifetime......

DC

Unfortunately it's not just kids.  Also it's Broward Co too and the marinas are closed to the launch of slipped or dry storage boats.  The only exemptions are for the commercials and folks who have private docks.  It is an absolute absurdity to do that to stop a small percentage from rafting up.  Hell's bells, just enforce no rafting.

• Like 1