26 TRS prop recommendations

22 hours ago, Bloch776 said:

Well, called Ken at prop gods and he was going to order me the Brav 4 20 pitch but it was 5 weeks out and then captaincowart messaged me and said try Fort Myers Marine so I called them yesterday morning and they had a 19 and a 20 in stock. Since I usually run heavy and was aiming for economy I went with the 20 and they shipped it as we got off the phone. It arrived at my door today and I convinced the wife to go snook fish this evening. The boat had 50 gallons of fuel, full tank of fresh water, yeti backpack cooler, couple rods, and trolling motor and my wife. The prop ran good was very responsive out of the hole. My cruise numbers and fuel burn: At 30mph 3200 rpm 3.9mpg/ 35mph 3700rpm 3.5 mpg/ 43mph 4500 rpm 3.0 mpg/ WOT 53 mph 5500 rpm 2.0 mpg. Needless to say I’m very happy with the numbers my main goal was to Increase the fuel economy for future Bahamas trips. Once again, thank you captaincowart for your advice, numbers, and recommending the marine center so I didn’t have to wait a month. 

Glad it worked out, enjoy your new Pathy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have read thru this whole thread and can’t seem to find what the diameter of this Brav 4 20 pitch prop is.  I like the numbers a lot better than the SWS 15 1/4” 19 pitch 3 Blade I’m running. I hope someone can tell me and a ballpark price. I have a 26 HPS with a full tower. The one thing I am confused about is when you run heavy or want hole shot I thought you used a lower pitch. When you want economy or speed you used a higher pitch. Either way I think I want to try the 4 blade prop.

Thanks, Scott

7 hours ago, GSD said:

I have read thru this whole thread and can’t seem to find what the diameter of this Brav 4 20 pitch prop is.  I like the numbers a lot better than the SWS 15 1/4” 19 pitch 3 Blade I’m running. I hope someone can tell me and a ballpark price. I have a 26 HPS with a full tower. The one thing I am confused about is when you run heavy or want hole shot I thought you used a lower pitch. When you want economy or speed you used a higher pitch. Either way I think I want to try the 4 blade prop.

Thanks, Scott

Give Fort Myers Marine a call, they will tell you the diameter size, price and they can ship it to you. My 26 hps has a half tower and I'm impressed with this prop, the hole shot is fine.

I have read thru this whole thread and can’t seem to find what the diameter of this Brav 4 20 pitch prop is.  I like the numbers a lot better than the SWS 15 1/4” 19 pitch 3 Blade I’m running. I hope someone can tell me and a ballpark price. I have a 26 HPS with a full tower. The one thing I am confused about is when you run heavy or hole shot I thought you used a lower pitch. When you want economy or speed you used a higher pitch. Either way I thing I want to try the 4 blade prop.

Thanks, Scott

• 2 months later...

New to this forum. Very excited about my 2600hps. I tried a BRV4 20 and it was amazing with just 2 people and no fuel. But loaded down with 5 guys, bunch of ice, and full live well, the prop was very sluggish.

I am going to try a OFX4 17 next. I will get some numbers and post tomorrow of the brv4 20 and the yamaha reliance 3 x 13 3/4 × 20

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 9:09 PM, RFR said:

New to this forum. Very excited about my 2600hps. I tried a BRV4 20 and it was amazing with just 2 people and no fuel. But loaded down with 5 guys, bunch of ice, and full live well, the prop was very sluggish.

I am going to try a OFX4 17 next. I will get some numbers and post tomorrow of the brv4 20 and the yamaha reliance 3 x 13 3/4 × 20

Very light (15 gallons fuel, 2 guys) the BRV4 20 got:

51mph @5600 rpms and 2.0mpg

41.5mph @4500rpms and 2.7mpg

35.4mph @4000rpms and 3.0mpg

Loaded heavy, the prop was a dog. I switched back to the 18 until I get the 17 OFX. Loaded heavy (5 guys, 150# ice, live well full, full fuel, gear) The 18 will run almost all speeds over 32mph between 1.8 and 2.0 mpg hitting a max of 46mph at 5700rpms. Terrible slip percentage. Also, when it got rough and we were running 26mph, we were seeing 1.5-1.6mpg. I cant wait to figure this out

21 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Been watching this topic due to a lack of prop info for the 2500 so I for one appreciate the updates to this thread.  RFR is the OFX a 3 or 4 blade?  If you get a chance to run it with less load like 2 to 3 guys and maybe 1 livewell full Id appreciate that info

Ofx is a 4 blade

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

26TRS With Merc 350.  It seems like they always come from the factory/dealer ready to run great light but no one operates that way.  With 3 blade Eco 19p my boat would run 61 but got on plane slow and at fishing weight dropped to high 40's.  I switched to 18p Rev 4 and it runs slower but gets up on plane almost instantly and is effected by weight zero.  Runs 54 light or heavy.   The rear end rides shallower, the motor can be run really high on the plate and the minimum planing speed dropped 5 mph.  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Vapor, for posting this.

I’m running a Yamaha 350 with a Merc Enertia Eco 19.  I think it mostly runs great if I’m up and going in sea conditions where I can run 40+ mph. I top out with light normal load at 60.  With trolling motor, stand through tower, radar, full gas and two people.

After running it for a season, I’ve actually found I run pretty slow most of the time with the family or if I’m in conditions that are too choppy.  This is where I think the prop struggles a bit.  The engine is 200lbs heavier than the 300 Yamaha, and if I’ve got a full bait well or passengers in the rear seats, the planing process is a bit sluggish and *** heavy (jack plate at 2.5, no trim and some trim tab action)

I’m now in the market for a Rev4 or PT BRV4.  Hoping to get a quicker hole shot, lower planing speed and more lift in the rear.

Thanks also to Captain Cowart for the great info.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, Vapor Trail said:

26TRS With Merc 350.  It seems like they always come from the factory/dealer ready to run great light but no one operates that way.  With 3 blade Eco 19p my boat would run 61 but got on plane slow and at fishing weight dropped to high 40's.  I switched to 18p Rev 4 and it runs slower but gets up on plane almost instantly and is effected by weight zero.  Runs 54 light or heavy.   The rear end rides shallower, the motor can be run really high on the plate and the minimum planing speed dropped 5 mph.  

Vapor-  follow up question:  with the 18p Rev 4 what RPMs are you hitting at WOT?  I’m currently running the same prop on a Yamaha 350, and experiencing the same performance characteristics you describe.  Obviously, the motors are very different, but I’m trying to determine if the 18p is right or if I should look to a 19 or 20 pitch.  Do you feel like you could handle more pitch?

Thank you, that’s great intel.  I may have to give the 19p a try just because for the same reason.  Ha!

I’d love to know how that hull performs with a 450. I really do like the Yam 350 so far in most areas except for the weight.  I think the Merc shaves off a hundred pounds or so for the 350/400 Verado.   I’m not sure of the weight of the 450, but same or less weight with 100 more HP would be really interesting….  If you go that route, would love to hear how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here’s yesterday’s set up and results:  2600 TRS with a 350 Yamaha.  Have a stand through TTop with full controls and radar.  Ran the boat yesterday with a new 19 pitch BRV4, replacing a 19 pitch Enertia Eco 3 blade.  Had a full tank of gas, three people, and I left the trolling motor at home.  

The conditions were not great, some wind and cold (50 degrees).  They had me looking for leeward shorelines for protection.  Also, this was in fresh water.  Jack plate at 2.5ish, trimmed at about 4 bars.

-57/8 mph at 6100

-42 at 4500, 2.5 mpg

-36 at 4000, 2.6 mpg

-30 at 3500, 2.8/9 mpg

Two major differences

1.  A better hole shot, as expected.  
2.  More importantly, the boat ran at a much different attitude, much flatter, much less bow rise and felt “planted” throughout the RPM range where the prior prop made the boat feel like a skipping stone.  Also I did not need to use the trim tabs to keep the bow down and the boat in the water.

So, it’s a keeper.  Much improved over the previous, and all I’m giving up is about 2-3 mph on the top end.  Yesterday, had no water in the bait wells, no ice in the coolers, and no TM on the bow, so my load out was medium, not heavy.

The only question I have:  since I’m hitting 6100 rpms, I’m wondering if it is if it is worth trying the 20 pitch.  Will that give me more mid and top end with better economy?  But maybe negate the hole shot improvements.  Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2020 at 1:32 PM, captaincowart said:

The Brav4 is a new PT design, which may be why they recommend the OFX model. On my other 3 Pathfinders ( 2200 TE, two 2400 TRS ) I had the OFX4 prop and thought I never reached full potential on the motor. As soon as I ran my 2600 with the Brav4 19, I was blown away with the performance, but the 20 pitch was even better. If you do go with the Brav4, it'll probably be a 19 or 20. Good luck and post some numbers, I'm curious on your performance. Also the 2600 TRS or HPS doesn't need any trim tab, the boat doesn't want to porpoise at all. I got my best performance numbers with the motor trim on 4 or 5 and the jackplate at 2 1/2. No I don't have the 19 anymore, the dealer I use allows his customers to use different PT props until they figure it out, as long as they don't scratch the prop.

I just installed the Power Tech BRAV4 20” on my 2600 TRS. It is amazing in the difference going from a three blade, especially in the attitude of the boat. 
I am getting a noise, vibration or prop chatter at “idle” 600 RPM in gear, at 800 RPM the noise goes away. I figured this was due to the increased torque with this prop and the solid hub.
 Have you experienced this too? Any recommendations?  

• 1 year later...

Purchased a brav4 20 pitch to try. 2600 hps, 80 gallons of fuel, hard top, trolling motor, twin power poles, freshwater tank full, 3 people on board and cooler full.

Motor won’t turn it past 5000 jacked and trimmed up, even after burning 20 gallons of fuel, wrong prop.

i don’t understand how some of the guys with the same boat are able to turn it to 5600, for my boat it was too much pitch. 
4000 rpm’s 40 mph @ 2.8, 4500 rpm’s 45 mph 2.1.

After 4000 rpm’s fuel consumption was horrible. 
Trying a brav4 19 pitch and enertia eco in 19 next.

IMG_4215.jpeg