Repower Hewes 16 1994

DBKEYS

Original owner 16' 1994 Hewes Tournament Bonefisher still with original 90 hp 2 cycle Yamaha, now aging.  Looking at Repower options, hydraulic steering and few other upgrades.  Have seen a few rebuilds and repowers on here but not much in longer term followup.  Would appreciate any comments about engines, performance etc., or any other recommendations.  Leaning towards Yamaha 70 same weight(as I have had such good fortune with many Yamahas) or etec 90 for 60 lbs more.    Concerned that more weight would not be good on this small boat and scuppers would be always wet.  Boat usually used with two people, rarely 3 or 4 if light.

Boat has been in the lower Keys and stays under a house and with a full cover.  Has even been through a few hurricanes including Irma eye.  Boat has been absolutely fantastic with no major issues ever.    Usual wear and tear but pristine for age.  Boat handles chop extremely well and have made many trips from lower Keys to Boca Grande and back, 70-80 mile days in a 16".  No fuel tank problem but trailer is rusting out.  With myself aging use more with Bimini.  Use mostly for snapper and tarpon fishing, as well as shallow water cruising and beaching.  

This Hewes has been the best bang for the buck ever and just fun to run.  Also feel very safe in this boat.  Cannot speak highly enough about the boat and design.

Any repower info greatly appreciated.

20200104-121939-2bw.jpg

7 minutes ago, DBKEYS said:

Original owner 16' 1994 Hewes Tournament Bonefisher still with original 90 hp 2 cycle Yamaha, now aging.  Looking at Repower options, hydraulic steering and few other upgrades.  Have seen a few rebuilds and repowers on here but not much in longer term followup.  Would appreciate any comments about engines, performance etc., or any other recommendations.  Leaning towards Yamaha 70 same weight(as I have had such good fortune with many Yamahas) or etec 90 for 60 lbs more.    Concerned that more weight would not be good on this small boat and scuppers would be always wet.  Boat usually used with two people, rarely 3 or 4 if light.

Boat has been in the lower Keys and stays under a house and with a full cover.  Has even been through a few hurricanes including Irma eye.  Boat has been absolutely fantastic with no major issues ever.    Usual wear and tear but pristine for age.  Boat handles chop extremely well and have made many trips from lower Keys to Boca Grande and back, 70-80 mile days in a 16".  No fuel tank problem but trailer is rusting out.  With myself aging use more with Bimini.  Use mostly for snapper and tarpon fishing, as well as shallow water cruising and beaching.  

This Hewes has been the best bang for the buck ever and just fun to run.  Also feel very safe in this boat.  Cannot speak highly enough about the boat and design.

Any repower info greatly appreciated.

20200104-121939-2bw.jpg

Beautiful boat you have there!  The 3- cyl 90 hp Yamaha 2-stroke looper is the best power to weight ratio outboard ever made for a lightweight flats boat.  The F70 is a great motor with its 2.33:1 gear ratio, but you will miss the speed you had before.  The Etec 90 is an option, like you said.  If weight wasn't so critical for you, I think the Suzuki DF90A is the finest 90 hp 4-stroke ever made.  It's the lightest 4-stroke 90 made.

It was Sea Foam green.  My wife likes to tell the story that she wanted the color and the stodgy guys at the factory were hesitant as it was a new color and they thought it was too bold.  

As we all know boat was designed for 260lb engine and 2 cycle.  But Hewes made a great boat that has lasted well and can go many many more years.  Just where to go with power is the question, as boat will outlast engine.  Interesting that I took the boat for service to Yamaha in Key West and they said that they would not service an engine that old, as they felt that there would be issues and they did not want unhappy customers.  Of course there are others who have and will service it, and I can do some minor things.  But the writing is on the walls for the future of my 90, now 26yo.  The old Yamaha 90 is a loud oil spitting engine that has never left me stranded and historically always reliable.

This boat runs top end 41, so if I go to 70 will loose top end and performance with multiple people.  Hole shot?

If I go to Suzuki 90 (90lbs) or Etec (60lbs) gain more weight on stern.  Likely will squat more.  Understand that I can move battery to console seat but no room in hatch as large 30gallon fuel tank up front.  Will 90hp performance offset the loss of performance from extra weight and squat?

I am also not sure on the etec needing oil tank, I think it does.  Friend of mine has a larger Etec that is now having all of the rubber hoses being replaced after rotting out at 10 yrs.

Hoping that someone out there has some actual experience and can offer guidance.

Appreciate all of the comments especially Lurem.   I guess the modern trend in flats boat is lower sides etc.  My higher lappy is a lot more comfortable crossing the bay or shallow offshore with big chop, dealing with storms and going the distances.  Have never desired anything else since I got it.

If my google searches are accurate the 90 yamah sho is 100 lbs more than the current 90 2 stroke on the boat. I would take 100lbs of something and place it as far aft as possible and take the boat to the water. See how she sits and how she runs. Do the same for the weight of the zuke. Personally I would try to get a four stroke over the e tec. 

5 hours ago, DBKEYS said:

This boat runs top end 41, so if I go to 70 will loose top end and performance with multiple people.  Hole shot?

If I go to Suzuki 90 (90lbs) or Etec (60lbs) gain more weight on stern.  Likely will squat more.  Understand that I can move battery to console seat but no room in hatch as large 30gallon fuel tank up front.  Will 90hp performance offset the loss of performance from extra weight and squat?

I like HoneyB's suggestion to place some weight (90 LBS) in the back of the boat and see how she floats/squats.  Something to consider between the Etec 90 and Zuke 90 is that even though the Zuke is 21 LBS more, it is made with an offset drive shaft, so the weight of the powerhead is further forward than the Etec 90.  The Zuke 90 will rocket your boat out of the hole like its never done before, with that 2.59:1 gear ratio.  But, if you need your boat to be lighter and draft an inch or so less, the F70 Yamaha will still get the job done for you.

I will try and dig that one up about the newer hull.  Was that a Yamaha 70 or 90.  Newer hulls were designed for 4 strokes unlike the older ones.  I do need to put weight in the back (or borrow a kid!!) and see what that does.  Hoping that I can get a good honest pro con on the 70 Yamaha with experience.  Another factor is the size of the tower which I do not want to change.  Not sure if the Suzuki would work and fully lift.

13 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I know it’s a diffrwnt hull so not apples to apples but Ralph ( outlaw on here) put a yammie on his newer hull 16 hewes and raves about it. 
If the zuke is the best power to weight ratio now though that would make a lot of sense. 

I have a 2017 115 SHO on my RF 16, same as Outlaw.  Great motor for the late model Hewes 16, but it's 124 LBS heavier than the F70.  Too heavy for DBKEYS'  Bonefisher 16, IMO.  Here are the actual weight specs:

Yamaha F70 (1.0L):  253

Evinrude Etec 90 (1.3L):  320

Suzuki DF90A (1.5L):  343  Link to brochure here

Yamaha 90 SHO (1.8L):  353

Yamaha 115 SHO (1.8L):  377

Thanks for the numbers.  I lean towards keeping the weight the same as with Yammie 70 but still hoping someone can give some experience and real world feedback. I sure don't use it as a racing machine so the fuel efficiency and quiet may be advantages.  Had been hoping over the years that Yamaha would up the power on that 70 head.

I have a 2018 Yamaha 90 SHO on my 1993 Hewes Bonefisher 16.  Both of my batteries on my boat are in the rear starboard hatch so the majority of the weight is in the back of this boat.  WOT with a SCD 4 blade 17P PowerTech prop I get about 39-40 mph by myself or with a light passenger like my girlfriend.  Close to that with another male passenger in the 200-215lb range and fishing gear.  With that prop and the weight distribution, the boat will jump right up on plane with some tabs.  I have poled the boat in about 1.5'-2' feet of water by myself to get off a shallow flat, but anything shallower than that and you're stuck.  I don't have a jack plate on my boat yet, but I don't think it would make any difference on it's draft capability.  I live in Tampa Bay so I have a wide range of areas to fish and in addition to fishing shallow grass flats and mangrove lines I will take the boat off the beach and fish for tarpon, triple tail, etc. depending on the season.  I honestly wanted this motor because I thought the 70 would be too slow.  The 115 is too heavy for the boat and  I just didn't think I'd have the top end speed I wanted with the 70 Yamaha.  I think the boat was pretty squatty before anyhow (no real point of reference bc I never owned a lappy before this) but it's a little stern squatty now.  Nothing that bothers me and I don't take on water or anything.  I always run my boat with the scupper plugs in bc I hate water in the floor (came from a Carolina Skiff before which was wet as hell).  

Hope this info helps a little.  Send me a message if you wanna talk more about it.  Good luck with your purchase.

Oh yea also if you get the 90 SHO you're gonna need to modify that poling platform for clearance because you can't tilt the 90 SHO all the way up without hitting the platform bucket.  I need to have my platform legs modified but for right now I have no need that I'm aware of to have it all the way up.  It goes up high enough when I'm on a shallow flat and I don't trailer it more than a couple of miles so I'm not worried about transom damage or the hydraulics on the engine going bad.  Again, I'm no expert over here.  I'm just trying to be honest and give you or anyone else the most information I can if you/they go with this setup.  

In summary, I'm happy with my purchase and I'd rather have the Yamaha than any other engine on the market for warranty, re-sale and dependability.

1 hour ago, leftcoastangler said:

Oh yea also if you get the 90 SHO you're gonna need to modify that poling platform for clearance because you can't tilt the 90 SHO all the way up without hitting the platform bucket.  I need to have my platform legs modified but for right now I have no need that I'm aware of to have it all the way up.  It goes up high enough when I'm on a shallow flat and I don't trailer it more than a couple of miles so I'm not worried about transom damage or the hydraulics on the engine going bad.  Again, I'm no expert over here.  I'm just trying to be honest and give you or anyone else the most information I can if you/they go with this setup.  

In summary, I'm happy with my purchase and I'd rather have the Yamaha than any other engine on the market for warranty, re-sale and dependability.

Pics man you have to put up pics of the new tech on the classic 

Thanks so much Leftcoastangler because this is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread was some real personal experience.  I greatly appreciate your time and info.  I suspected that engine would not allow full tilt.  When the boat is in the water with no one on board will it self bail, or do you keep the scupper plugs in.  I agree the boat squats.  Thanks so much

I keep the scupper plugs in at all times, but on the few occasions that I forgot to put them in when I launched the water will drain when I get on plane.  Heres some pics for HoneyB and anyone else that cares to see how she looks.  The pic of my boat in the water is actually the one and only time I've been stuck out on the flat.  I was stalking a school of about 100+ redfish this past fall at Weedon Island I got her a little too skinny on the negative tide that day.  Thankfully someone noticed me trying to pull the boat off the flat and dragged me out.  Like I said, you can still get pretty shallow with this setup, but you're not floating in 1 foot of water or less like a technical poling skiff might.

Hewes_in_the_driveway.JPG

Hewes on the flat.JPG

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DBKEYS said:

My boat stays on a seawall when in use.  Having it self bail is crucial so they weight of that engine may not work.  Such a great boat but it is certainly challenging to figure out the proper Repower.  I greatly appreciate your help and time

Going by your comments and needs on stern weight (squat) and draft, I think a 4-stroke 90 is out of the question with your rig.  If you want 4-stroke power, the Yamaha F70 would be best for you.  I have spent some time on a Maverick HPX-S with an F70 and the new Floyd 10wt (18 ft skiff but about the same weight as yours) with an F70, and the F70 was adequate power, quiet, efficient and hole shot was great with two people.  The HPX-S was a little sluggish out of the hole with 3 men aboard, but still did the job and fished amazingly shallow on the salt marsh flats around Charleston SC.  If you want to race your buddies, the best speed with a little more weight can be had with an Evinrude Etec 90.  But I favor the F70, if it was my boat.  Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I just repowered my 1999 16’ bonefisher with an F70 . I started a repower thread on it, just haven’t updated with performance numbers since I’m still breaking in the engine.

currently running  a stock aluminum prop I believe it’s 13.25 x 15 

I hit 37mph@ 6200rpm full fuel so far 

once it’s properly broken in I’m going to play around with props. Looking at the powertec scd3 15 pitch to try next

Hope this helps a bit

Edited by Attitudeindicator

Thanks to both for the comments on the F70.  That is the direction that I am heading.  Attitudeindicator (great name!) please give me some performance numbers when you get it broken in, especially your top end but more important the cruise speed and rpm.  Curious if I am cruising around 30 how much of that rpm is being used.  I almost never go top end.  Great that you like the hole shot.